Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2007, 04:54 PM

8 posts, read 169,954 times

Advertisements

Could someone please tell me how Denver would compare to Minneapolis as an overall atmosphere. I know Denver is an bigger city, but metro. areas are roughly the same. How does Denver feel, it looks like a nice city, but I want to hear went the locals have to say...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2007, 05:54 PM

4,306 posts, read 13,425,940 times
Are you moving from Minneapolis? If so, what area? I moved to Colorado from the Twin Cities two years ago today and whilst I still don't know Denver very well (hangs head in shame) I can tell you a little bit about it.

One thing I miss is the lakes - there are very few around here and they are not very big and the river cannot of course be compared to the Mississippi. Culturally speaking there is probably more than I'm aware of. I just started visiting the Denver Art Museum (DAM) and Botanic Gardens but have yet to check out the Nature & Science Museum or the Denver Zoo - both of which I understand are spectacular. I found in Minneapolis that the university is a very pervasive influence - I just noticed it a lot more in the general atmosphere of the city and its neighbourhoods. Not so much in Denver. There are lots of parks in Denver and a more "historic neighbourhoods" kind of atmosphere. LoDo is a fun & funky neighbourhood a bit like the pricier parts of Uptown; 16th Street reminds me of downtown Hennepin and Cherry Creek is like Edina.

The great thing about Denver is that you can be out of the city very quickly and in the foothills or mountains. Mpls seems to go on for much longer.

Old 08-01-2007, 06:41 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,193,363 times
If you live around the University of Denver, as my DD does, you will get some of that university feeling. That DD went to college in Minnesota and both she and I loved going to Minneapolis. It is her opinion that they are similar cities, lifestyle-wise.

Old 08-01-2007, 07:55 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,228,163 times
I'm curious about the question too-- but from the other direction. Even though I'll probably move back to Denver, which I already know all about, I'm interested in checking out some midwestern cities as well. I haven't really thought about Minneapolis/St Paul, but maybe I should? Is the economy similar? Is MPLS growing fast?

Old 09-03-2011, 07:47 PM

1 posts, read 3,397 times
Denver was a great place to visit - and to me, it sorta FEELS like a combo of Minneapolis and St Paul, which, if you're going to compare "Minneapolis", you need to remember it's "twin" St Paul, and younger Sibling, Bloomington (Mall of America town)....together the 3 add up to nearly 700K, and then, not really the "Twin" cities anymore, there are some 188 cities in the area cranking up the metro to like 3 1/2 million. The two downtowns being a mere 10 minutes apart by freeway allows the cities to share each other's best qualities - St Paul SEEMS older, narrower streets and funky streetlights, with a street system that baffles even the residents - no alphabets, and the address numbers use up a "hundred" before starting the next, which might be in the middle of the block, but it also has some great parks, neighborhoods, and some parts would remind you a little of manhattan love it over there - Minneapolis is easy to get around in, adresses are logical and simple, and either side of the city has the advantage of numbers and numbers or numbers and alphabets, with the exception of "Nordeast" where you need to memorize the order of the presidents, which however, has the newest area of "yuptown", other than the downtown "warehouse" district. And Both cities have a great jazz scene (Minneapolis is home to a student-dj'd "real" jazz station, including the old stuff, the new stuff, avant garde, and somehow does all that with lapsing into "elevator jazz"). Both cities have their own versions of RiverFront housing and recreation - Harriet Island, and Nicollet Island.

Denver, on the other hand seems to have a little of ALL of that (didn't find a jazz station there- yet) and a larger downtown, 16th street is reminiscent of Minneapolis' Nicollet Mall, the Amusment Park and stadium near the river are a little like both - the occasional skyway in Denver imitates at least the 50 to 60 skyways in the two cities in Minnesota...I liked the on-street artwork, the sidewalk dining and horse drawn carts in Denver, street musicians, and proximity to the mountains; the "cities" have the lakes, and extensive park systems and bike trails even through the heart of midtown. Even as flatlanders, there's scenery, waterfalls, high bluffs, and proximty to "up north" and the resort towns. Denver's got the Rockies, and a general "light" atmosphere, and the drivers seems just as good/stupid as Minnesotans...for comparison, you gotta go to Wash DC or Houston. oh, yeah - Minneapolis (as the entire area tends to be called) - when the repub convention was in St Paul, the news kept saying Minneapolis, until St Paul complained, whereupon the ABC network informed us that it was actually in "a part of Minneapolis called St Paul"..also has a nice neighbor 2 hours away called Duluth, which is almost like a foreign country with huge "hills" the few nearby "mountains" (2500 feet!) and Lake Superior, with 1000 foot long ships coming and going....instant vacation, no matter how many times you've been there...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
View detailed profiles of: