U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 10:04 AM

531 posts, read 866,938 times

Advertisements

To echo what jazzlover said, I never understood why we didn't raise the fuel tax instead of registration fees. At least with the fuel tax, we would have tourists help pay for the roads they share with the locals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2011, 10:13 AM

2,864 posts, read 7,095,361 times
That's kind of a double edged sword though. I just don't get what's so special about Colorado that they have to charge those kind of registration fees for automobiles. When I lived in Ohio, it was a flat $49.50 for EVERY truck, no matter the age, size, price, whatever.

Personal conveyances are NOT real estate, and should not be taxed as such.

Old 08-30-2011, 11:12 AM

$300 a year isn't outrageous for owning a car or truck. Consider the kind of damage a vehicle does to the roads, the cost of maintaining said roads, and the environmental impacts of the car.

$300 is damn cheap if you look at it that way.

Old 08-30-2011, 01:00 PM

874 posts, read 923,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechMike View Post
To echo what jazzlover said, I never understood why we didn't raise the fuel tax instead of registration fees. At least with the fuel tax, we would have tourists help pay for the roads they share with the locals.
Well, one is a tax and the other is a fee. Due to the wonderfulness that is TABOR the legislature could have only thrown a fuel tax increase onto the ballot and hoped for the best. With raising the vehicle registration fees with FASTER the legislature guaranteed that the funding issue was addressed to a degree.

They acted within their very, very limited power to solve a funding issue.

Old 08-31-2011, 06:21 AM

1,376 posts, read 2,618,882 times
Quote:
Another echo, here.

When I lived in PA, car registration was about $25/year. Gas is about 20 cents/gallon higher there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wong21fr View Post
Well, one is a tax and the other is a fee.
If money's coming out of my pocket, it's a tax. Just like social security - I'll never see that money back...

Old 08-31-2011, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryK123 View Post
If money's coming out of my pocket, it's a tax. Just like social security - I'll never see that money back...
I don't think it is quite right to compare it to social security. You do see returns on the gas tax and registration fees.

FASTER was passed to raise registration fees. Currently, FASTER pays for replacement of bridges. Just about all the bridges that have been replaced or are in the middle of replacement in the last couple of years have been funded by those registration fees.

So you do see a return on that.

Whether or not you see a return on Social Security is debatable (and here isn't the proper place...)

Old 08-31-2011, 09:28 AM

1,822 posts, read 1,268,426 times
Quote:
Quote:
I don't think it is quite right to compare it to social security.... Whether or not you see a return on Social Security is debatable (and here isn't the proper place...)
I agree with TechMike, and add that attacking Social Security is a bad mode to get in to. SS may have its share of problems (like many things), but it's there for our benefit in the future. The more people speak against it, and associate negative feelings / words / sentiment to it, the more it poisons it and gets people to want to abolish it. Most would agree that that's a dangerous direction to go in. It would be better to suggest solutions and fixes, then damning and bashing it.

Old 08-31-2011, 09:42 AM

399 posts, read 666,868 times
;D FasTracks.

Old 08-31-2011, 10:05 AM

4,308 posts, read 11,462,959 times
The price going up is weird - mine went way down altho I did have to pay $25 for an emissions test

Old 08-31-2011, 10:30 AM

874 posts, read 923,161 times
Quote:
In the strictest sense, yes. But, not in the legal sense for state law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado