U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 06:07 AM

14,131 posts, read 26,250,313 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFish2 View Post
Cool.. I've been looking into mesa verde and I love that type of historic place to visit.
Technically, it's a prehistoric place since the folks there didn't write anything down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2011, 11:40 AM

4,888 posts, read 8,901,170 times
The Animas river near Durango is pretty good for fly fishing for trout. Probably good for bait or spinners too. It's a big river, as far as Colorado rivers go, so there's some big trout in there.

If you want to drive on 550 all the way to Ouray, then on the other side of Ouray you can fish the Uncompaghre river which is also pretty good. The drive between Durango and Ouray is really cool, too. You'd enjoy it.

Old 09-01-2011, 11:57 PM

250 posts, read 338,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
The Animas river near Durango is pretty good for fly fishing for trout. Probably good for bait or spinners too. It's a big river, as far as Colorado rivers go, so there's some big trout in there.

If you want to drive on 550 all the way to Ouray, then on the other side of Ouray you can fish the Uncompaghre river which is also pretty good. The drive between Durango and Ouray is really cool, too. You'd enjoy it.
Nice appreciate the fishing info. A lot of the fishing info on Colorado only returns private fishing spots..not a lot on the public lands. I hope the fishing's good though, I plan on doing a lot of it! I mostly fish lures BTW, Thomas Bouyants etc.. Spoons

Old 09-02-2011, 12:18 AM

437 posts, read 661,382 times
Do not miss Canyon de Chelley in Az.

Old 09-02-2011, 12:40 AM

973 posts, read 1,801,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
There are several ghost towns you could visit in the vicinity of Silverton you might want to check out:

Ghost Towns of Colorado - San Juan County

When you get to Durango these folks can give you some great advice on where to go see other historic sites in the area:

The Animas Museum

Even if you're not staying there, this hotel is worth a visit:

Durango, Colorado | Historic Victorian Hotel | - Strater Hotel

You'll also probably want to visit the old train depot:

About Us | Durango & Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad Train
Perfect! There is also this turnoff w/ a long, winding gravel road that is mainly one lane w/ pull offs, that leads up to a really cool historic train station, filled w/ old items, just sitting out!!!!!!! It was a fantastic, amazing drive! I've tried to google it. I hope it still exists. It was a historic marker just out of Durango about a limestone fire. We even had a bald eagle land on our road. lol Just one of many things that made us move from Ohio to Utah. =)

Old 09-02-2011, 07:33 PM

4,888 posts, read 8,901,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFish2 View Post
Nice appreciate the fishing info. A lot of the fishing info on Colorado only returns private fishing spots..not a lot on the public lands. I hope the fishing's good though, I plan on doing a lot of it! I mostly fish lures BTW, Thomas Bouyants etc.. Spoons
There's decent trout fishing to be had in the rivers. I've never had luck in any of the lakes, though.

Old 09-07-2011, 01:48 AM

250 posts, read 338,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrtx View Post
Do not miss Canyon de Chelley in Az.
Thanks for the tip, I'll check into that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
There's decent trout fishing to be had in the rivers. I've never had luck in any of the lakes, though.
Right on, I'll be giving them a shot. I'll post up a bunch of pics and a fishing report of sorts when I get back.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 09-07-2011 at 10:25 AM.. Reason: Merged 2:1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado