Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 12:20 PM

25 posts, read 107,533 times

Advertisements

Since none of you writing the negative things about Californians moving to Colorado obviously are not from California, let me fill you in. Californians are not to blame for what has happened to California...it's all the people moving from the mid-west, and other areas of the U.S. that have caused population to grow, and growing pains occur, since land is so limited.

The Californians that are moving out of CA, are those that want a more relaxed lifestyle, possibly a different climate, affordable housing, etc. You'd know that if you lived here, so you should really welcome those people, because they want a change in lifestyle, not to impose their lifestyle on another place...Come on, who does that (aside from New Yorkers)?

I think some of you are right, in that the weather in Colorado will be a buffer to bringing a large amount of people in from California (So Cal especially). So you need not worry. You cannot blame some for taking their equity and wanting to move to a place with a slower pace, and a much-reduced or non-existent mortgage payment.

Old 08-16-2007, 12:22 PM

98 posts, read 433,181 times
It's no use - people hate. Plain and simple. They don't care about the issue - they see congested driving conditions, more people moving into their sleepy town and blame whoever it is that is coming in. Much the way the Californian's blame other people for ruining their state - it's inevitable. The world is getting more populated and rather than finding a solution it's easier to point fingers.

Old 08-16-2007, 12:24 PM

You are right, I know everyone blames others, ultimately we're all Americans, that's what should matter really. Too bad people don't see it that way more often.

Old 08-16-2007, 12:52 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times
Thank you! I agree. If I wanted to live the California lifestyle, I would have stayed in California. I don't. I want to live the Colorado lifestyle, which is why I moved here.

Old 08-16-2007, 01:38 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,397,079 times
Default It is gut to be in Amerika

Quote:
Originally Posted by RB0722 View Post
Since none of you writing the negative things about Californians moving to Colorado obviously are not from California, let me fill you in. Californians are not to blame for what has happened to California...it's all the people moving from the mid-west, and other areas of the U.S. that have caused population to grow, and growing pains occur, since land is so limited.

The Californians that are moving out of CA, are those that want a more relaxed lifestyle, possibly a different climate, affordable housing, etc. You'd know that if you lived here, so you should really welcome those people, because they want a change in lifestyle, not to impose their lifestyle on another place...Come on, who does that (aside from New Yorkers)?

I think some of you are right, in that the weather in Colorado will be a buffer to bringing a large amount of people in from California (So Cal especially). So you need not worry. You cannot blame some for taking their equity and wanting to move to a place with a slower pace, and a much-reduced or non-existent mortgage payment.
In your post, you make some negative remarks about New Yorkers, and people from the mid-west. Is not that a general stereotype?? I do not believe you meant it in a mean way, you were trying to make a point of not saying bad things about Californians. I agree with your post.

I grew up in New Yorker and I like California and Californians. I was in the Army there, a student at the Presidio of Monterey for language training and it was a wonderful experience for a young man to see that wonderful state. I am a Coloradoan because I now live here and it does not matter if you have been here one year or almost thirty like me--we are all Coloradoans, if we claim residency. I absolutely "in like" with mid-westerners.

I have lived here more years than New York, however because of the formative years in another region, I have retained some of the accent, the mannerism of a New Yorker. Yes, that is annoying to some and I have tried to change some behavior. When, I first came here, I was also told I was yelling on the phone, I said "I AM NOT YELLING, I TAWK THAT WAY." So, I have learned to talk quieter and slower on the phone. In person, it it not an issue because people see your expression, and see my hands emphazing, and knowing I have New Yawk traits---they laugh and I laugh.

In truth, I was born in New York City and left when I was five and moved to Western New York, near Buffalo. So I have sort of a mixed accent. The people of Buffalo have a distinct accent that is very different from people from New York City. The accent is more closely tied to Cleveland and Pittsburgh. So there is big differences, even within the state of New York, of how we perceive each other. In addition, I am of Sicilian descent and that has many differences from others ethnicities as Russian and German Jews, Polish, etc. "hey, ya tawking to me", ya mutter too..."

It is important to maintain the regional differences or we are going to become a very bland country. I came here from Texas, and I was in the Army there, I still have a warm spot for a Texas accent. I will melt in adorement in front of a women from the south. Any strange accent I hear--I want to know more and when I hear a real rural Coloradan accent, I am enthralled.

The beauty of America is that we make fun of each other, we kid each other, we laugh at New Yawkers, and perceptions of California "fruits and nuts". We snicker at Texan "Goat Ropers". If you really want to see the joy of making fun of each other--spend some time in the military. However, mostly we do not kill ourselves in the streets because of differences, as other countries of the world carry on violent regional feuds.

I grew up in an area with mostly immigrants who came to this country during the wave of immigration from about 1870-1920 There were very distinct neighborhoods and sometimes there were clashes--like "West Side Story" However in Colorado that is not as evident and it is changing in the older cities of the east as we become a mixed soup, as a minestrone and tolerance is the rule of the game we must play.

Old 08-16-2007, 02:06 PM

Default I like your post, Livecontent

You're right, I was poking fun at New Yorkers, and I really do like the people of the mid-west, I just think it's ridiculous how people complain about people moving....everyone needs to enjoy life, I've lived in CA for 30 years, and while I love it here, I don't care who moves in next to me, why that matters to people, I'm not sure. Too bad it's not like that everywhere.

Old 08-16-2007, 06:11 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RB0722 View Post
You're right, I was poking fun at New Yorkers, and I really do like the people of the mid-west, I just think it's ridiculous how people complain about people moving....everyone needs to enjoy life, I've lived in CA for 30 years, and while I love it here, I don't care who moves in next to me, why that matters to people, I'm not sure. Too bad it's not like that everywhere.
I give individuals the "neighbor test" and the "in law test". Would I want this person for my next door neighbor? Would I want my brother/sister to marry this person?

Old 08-16-2007, 06:27 PM

127 posts, read 434,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I give individuals the "neighbor test" and the "in law test". Would I want this person for my next door neighbor? Would I want my brother/sister to marry this person?

What happens if they don't pass the test?

Old 08-16-2007, 06:34 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Unfortunately, bashing Californians is somewhat of a state hobby here, at least for some people. There is great pride in being a "native Coloradan", too. I have heard people give that as a qualification for elective office! When I was a kid growing up in Pennsylvania, in an area similar to Buffalo, NY, I never heard stuff like that.

Old 08-16-2007, 06:42 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CareFreeAZ View Post
What happens if they don't pass the test?
I don't know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado