U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 11:30 AM

81 posts, read 231,409 times

Advertisements

I just talked to some friends of mine from California today and encouraged them to move to Colorado. All they want is a nice affordable place to live, like all of us.
California has just gotten tooooo expensive for a lot of people.

Old 08-27-2007, 02:34 PM

7,046 posts, read 15,987,444 times
The wife and I aren't originally from California (Southern), but we did move to Denver metro (Englewood, then Parker) from there in 2002. Three main reasons why we moved here: houses cheaper, weather changes and get away from her family (like her brother did when he moved to Florida from SoCal). However, we DID register our vehicle here (Colorado plates) and got new drivers licenses (Colorado) within 2 weeks of arriving here. And, we never said much (if anything) about Calif/SoCal to anyone. We have heard some SoCal transplants say how much they miss the nicer/warmer winter weather that SoCal gets compared to snowstorms/blizzard/"white-outs" that Denver metro can get in the winter.
When we first moved here in 2002, we seen very few California license plates then.........but NOW, we are seeing more and more each week. IMO, if these people would get Colorado plates shortly after getting here, most likely there wouldn't be any problems with SoCal's moving here. Another problem, at times we see someone wearing a t-shirt with California written on it......again, IMO that is a "no, no".

Old 08-27-2007, 06:02 PM

41 posts, read 193,334 times
Cool Don't hate Californians

I am originally from California too, and have experienced some of the flack just by having been from there. I witnessed my home state's quadrupling in population in just a short amount of time. Since growing up in California, I've lived all over the U.S., and everyone complains about how their town is getting overcrowded, with the accompanying crime, high prices, traffic jams, corruption, pollution, and stress. The leading issue at hand is OVERPOPULATION. If the world would stop having so many babies, we would not be having so many of these problems. It's just getting too crowded everywhere! Educate everyone you know to only have one or two kids (and then a vasectomy) and tell them to spread the word across the world!

Last edited by RuralSeeker; 08-27-2007 at 06:04 PM.. Reason: grammar

Old 08-27-2007, 07:43 PM

84,960 posts, read 98,795,031 times
Quote:
When we first moved here in 2002, we seen very few California license plates then.........but NOW, we are seeing more and more each week. IMO, if these people would get Colorado plates shortly after getting here, most likely there wouldn't be any problems with SoCal's moving here. Another problem, at times we see someone wearing a t-shirt with California written on it......again, IMO that is a "no, no".
I don't think anyone need apologize for where they're from or just lived at one time. Considering T-shirts emblazoned with drug, alcohol and other messages, what's wrong with California? I wear T-shirts from my own and my kids' colleges; that includes the University of Pittsburgh (Pennsylvania), St. Olaf (Minnesota), and Valparaiso (Indiana), in addition to CU. What's wrong with that? And the license plates are only the tip of the anti-California crap. Changing your plates may help you blend in a bit, but you'll still get crap from those enlightened natives and long-term transplants who think they somehow have a "right" to be here and no one else does.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 08-27-2007 at 08:07 PM.. Reason: add CU

Old 08-28-2007, 06:17 AM

32 posts, read 128,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caveman1113 View Post
Skip ahead to an armed felon being arrested... The felon is guilty of multiple murders and carrying a firearm, as well as for carrying it wiothout without registering it in his own name; A MULTIPLE FELONY CHARGE!!! BUT... because he is a felon and it is illegal for him to own a firearm, he CAN'T legally register it, so he will NEVER be charged with carrying an unregistered firearm. Only law abiding citizens can be charged with that.
I tried to read all this rant without bias, but its impossible, because much of it is baloney.

Previously convicted felons can be charged with multiple gun offenses, including carrying an illegal weapon. Using an unregistered gun during a crime isn't legal simply because the felon isn't allowed to register it - that's the most nonsensical post I think I've ever read. I don't know what NRA propaganda newsletter you've been reading, but it reads like a bad Charlton Heston commercial, and there isn't much truth in there.

Getting caught driving an overloaded truck in California doesn't make California a police state, just like getting a speeding ticket in Colorado doesn't make CO a police state either. That's a giant leap of logic. There are laws. The police enforce the laws, the courts decide guilt or innocence. The system worked exactly like it does here in Colorado.

I've been in Colorado 4 months now, and already found several much more significantly restrictive laws here than in California. I am building a new house, and I'm NOT ALLOWED to have a wood burning fireplace, even though it provides a renewable source of energy. Yet despite this effort to keep the air clean, there are hardly any incentives to buy an energy efficient car, as there are in California.

So the bottom line is, everyone can find something near and dear to their own personal agenda, and come up with some other place that doesn't fit, and make up names like "police state" about it. If too many Californians are coming to your wild west town and trying to change the laws, theres a simple solution - don't vote for them! They are still by far the minority here. If your town's locals were voting to keep things the way they want, then no California transplant would have any effect of your your right to walk around with an Uzi.

As for hating Californians, apart from Caveman's post, I haven't seen an ounce of it anywhere. Everyone I've met has been warm, welcoming, friendly, and said "Welcome to Colorado, you're going to love it here". And I do. Except on those cold nights when I want to have a warm fire, but it costs $1 a minute in un-renewable natural gas

Old 08-28-2007, 09:12 AM

7,046 posts, read 15,987,444 times
Anyone can say what they want to, but some people in some States just hate seeing California license plates. Seeing that plate once in a while can be "ok" to them, but a number of them on cars in some States is annoying to some of the long-time residence. California, especially the southern part, is "bad-mouthed" so much that some people think that the California transplants are bringing the "bad stuff" with them to another State.
I remember years ago, I was in Billings, Montana at a horse sale. Since I lived in Southern Calif. at the time, I had a California plate on my truck. I stopped at the main library in Billings and when I came back out to my truck, I had a note under a windshield wiper on the front window. This is pretty much what the note said, "If you are going to stay in Billings, get a Montana license plate. If you are not, get out of here as quickly as possible. We don't like seeing California plates here!"
A week later, Billings police arrested a guy that had committed a murder in Palm Springs, California........he was staying in a motel in Billings. The story about this guy was on the front page of the Billings newspaper.
As far as the t-shirts go, wearing one that has California written on it (or even New York) can be very intimidating to some people here in the Denver area.
Again, I remember another situation that happened in Southern Calif. years ago. Apparently there were a number of New York people moving into Southern Calif. and I noticed a number of bumper stickers that read "I love (with a hear, not the word) NY". A number of SoCals were saying, "if you like New York so much, move back there".
A lot of people just get intimidated by license plates, bumper stickers and t-shirts.

Old 08-28-2007, 09:23 AM

615 posts, read 2,721,801 times
I think way too much is being made out of so-called hatred of those from CA, NY or you name it. The metro area does have lots of people, so you are bound to find some boneheads that have that opinion, but the majority do not.

I think the only real riducule you will get here in CO, is if you go around with a Raiders hat, shirt, bumper sticker, etc. Then you are fair game!

Old 08-28-2007, 10:00 AM

84,960 posts, read 98,795,031 times
Quote:
As for hating Californians, apart from Caveman's post, I haven't seen an ounce of it anywhere. Everyone I've met has been warm, welcoming, friendly, and said "Welcome to Colorado, you're going to love it here". And I do. Except on those cold nights when I want to have a warm fire, but it costs $1 a minute in un-renewable natural gas
A lot of people come from California and say that; a lot say otherwise. The anti-California thing was very strong here in the early 90s. It has since calmed down a little, probably because the economy tanked after 9/11 and there are not as many jobs here, thus not as many of them coming here. In the early 90s, my kids were in elementary school, and much of the school overcrowding was blamed on the Californians. My DD's class did a project on where everyone was born, and most were born in Colorado! Much of the population growth in CO is due to "natural increase", ie, people having babies.

New York, and to a lesser extent all of the east, gets a similar bad rap. Yet when you look at the statistics on City-Data re: where people come from, most of them are from the midwest! Yet they they are considered wholesome, salt of the earth types, and seem immune from criticism.

Old 09-03-2007, 11:55 PM

7 posts, read 21,313 times
That's Crazy, I had no idea people thought twice about us.

Old 09-04-2007, 01:37 PM

346 posts, read 1,417,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
I don't think anyone need apologize for where they're from or just lived at one time. Considering T-shirts emblazoned with drug, alcohol and other messages, what's wrong with California? I wear T-shirts from my own and my kids' colleges; that includes the University of Pittsburgh (Pennsylvania), St. Olaf (Minnesota), and Valparaiso (Indiana), in addition to CU. What's wrong with that? And the license plates are only the tip of the anti-California crap. Changing your plates may help you blend in a bit, but you'll still get crap from those enlightened natives and long-term transplants who think they somehow have a "right" to be here and no one else does.
I agree with the whole t-shirt issue. We enjoy getting t-shirts and sweatshirts from various places we've visited. In fact, I have a Breckenridge, CO sweatshirt that I wear quite often here in California. I also have numerous other shirts emblazoned with names of places and sports teams, some from California, but most not. Does it really matter? We don't expect everyone here to go around wearing shirts that only refer to California. My dad came here from Nebraska and was forever a Cornhuskers fan. Does that mean he was offending Californians or being disloyal to his new home? I don't think so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or