U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 09-04-2007, 03:23 PM
 
Location: Wherabouts Unknown!
7,756 posts, read 16,511,015 times
Reputation: 9292

Advertisements

rebagirl...another good post!

I've read various posts on the Colorado and other forums where the poster seemed to be offended when attending a sporting event where someone had the gall to root for the visiting team. Imagine that! What ever happened to the friendly or even not-so-friendly rivalry like Yankees-RedSox, Dodgers-Giants, Michigan-OhioState, etc. Who would seriously want to attend a game where everyone was rooting for the home team? Sounds pretty boring to me.

Hats off to your dad for maintaining his loyalty to the Cornhuskers, and not giving into the ridiculous notion of rooting for the home team just because you happen to live there. Over time, perhaps a genuine love of the hometeam will develop quite naturally. I've only been in Colorado for just over a year, and already I'm starting to genuinely like the Rockies....but it's gonna take some time to give up my 16 year love affiar with the Atlanta Braves. Perhaps when Chipper, Andruw, and John Smoltz are gone I'll lose my interest in the Braves. I cheered those guys on for so long they are almost like family to me.

blessings...Franco

 
Old 09-04-2007, 03:31 PM
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
85,142 posts, read 99,332,423 times
Reputation: 31614
People here seem to be more accepting of supporting other teams than people in other towns. There was a very nasty incident at my old high school in Pennsylvania, where a teacher had a class gang up on a kid wearing a Broncos jersey the Friday before a Steelers-Broncos game. It made me ashamed I had worn Steelers colors to work. But yeah, there are exceptions, and Nebraska is one of them. The team everyone loves to hate.
 
Old 09-04-2007, 03:45 PM
 
Location: Wherabouts Unknown!
7,756 posts, read 16,511,015 times
Reputation: 9292
pittnurse70 wrote:
But yeah, there are exceptions, and Nebraska is one of them. The team everyone loves to hate.
Funny you should mention the CornHuskers as being a team that everyone loves to hate. Perhaps, I'm an unusual sports fan becasue I rarely have just one team that I root for ( usually they play in different divisions or conferences so the only match-ups occurr in the playoffs. For some of those games I don't know who I'll be rooting for until the game starts. After a few plays it becomes apparent where my heart lies. ) I usually have several teams that I like. Quite a few years ago ( 1984? ) when the Cornhuskers were beating everyone with scores like 63 to 10 and 48 to 0, they ended up in the championship against Miami. I was the only person in a room full of Miami fans rooting for the cornhuskers who ended up losing that game because Tom Osborne wouldn't play for a tie. Nonetheless, that was one of the most exciting games I ever watched, even though the team I was rooting for lost. My outlook on sports is to have fun and enjoy the games, and not get overly caught up in the home-team vs visiting-team crap. If you like a team, you like them regardless of where they are located.

blessings...Franco
 
Old 09-04-2007, 03:56 PM
 
Location: Colorado
10,017 posts, read 16,738,725 times
Reputation: 2096
My kids have been told they are no longer allowed to wear team jerseys or hats or any other team things to school due to the fights both verbal and physical atleast that is what the counselors said when we asked. Mainly Bronco fans ganging up on other kids for wearing other teams. Never experienced that in the other states I lived in. It disappointed my kids, who absolutley love the Broncos.There is ALOT of team spirit here, which I love.
 
Old 09-04-2007, 03:59 PM
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
85,142 posts, read 99,332,423 times
Reputation: 31614
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
My kids have been told they are no longer allowed to wear team jerseys or hats or any other team things to school due to the fights both verbal and physical atleast that is what the counselors said when we asked. Mainly Bronco fans ganging up on other kids for wearing other teams. Never experienced that in the other states I lived in. It disappointed my kids, who absolutley love the Broncos.There is ALOT of team spirit here, which I love.
It is a shame it had to come to that. My daughter's friend took a lot of crap from a teacher in middle school for wearing a Nebraska jersey. She (friend) ended up going to CU. You never know.
 
Old 09-04-2007, 04:57 PM
 
Location: Wherabouts Unknown!
7,756 posts, read 16,511,015 times
Reputation: 9292
I grew up in a small town about 50 miles from Philadelphia. While most kids rooted for the Phillies, many kids rooted for teams like the Dodgers, Giants ( my team as a kid because my favorite player...Willie Mays was a Giant ), the Braves, and even the hated Yankees. I can't remember any of us getting into fights over rooting for differnet teams. It was all a good natured f-u-n! Maybe that open minded attitude prevailed because the Phiilies were soooo bad that no one could seriously be offended by anyone rooting for another team!

blessings...Franco
 
Old 09-05-2007, 01:54 AM
 
Location: So Cal
320 posts, read 1,581,793 times
Reputation: 101
thats weird. when I see someone walking around with a "California" shirt I assume they are a tourist. Who would wear a shirt that has a states name on it? as far as sports teams go, it all in good fun. a little friendly banter makes the games more enjoyable.
If this is really an issue my kids going to have alot of problems. I work for a pro sports team here in LA and he has jerseys from just about every team in the league and even some from other countries. Good thing he like to play hockey and can handle hisself
 
Old 10-23-2007, 10:00 AM
 
Location: New York
2,637 posts, read 2,699,388 times
Reputation: 750
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Yes, but just like the fleeing New Yorkers (some via Florida) looking for "cheaper" in places like North Carolina and Tennessee, as soon as they get where they are going (to idyllic new town) they are going to want things/demand things because they are used to having things where they come from. I know, I know, they claim they are looking to "get away" from all of it but they never see themselves as the problem, do they? The whining will commence.

[..]

Pretty soon it takes the local people two times the amount of time to go to work in the morning, their kids are being taught in trailers and the local people that lived there all of their lives can't afford to live there anymore because of the tax hikes. Then, everyone picks up and moves to the next best cheapest uncrowded place repeating the cycle.
As if 'interlopers' don't move to places like NYC and California and well, and jack up the prices of housing (for natives), which is already expensive.

Gimme a break.

People have a right to live where they want to live. Half the people I know in NYC are not originally from NYC. So is it a crime if I was born here, and want to live somewhere else? And what of the genetic lottery anyway? Are you sanctioned to stick it out some place just because that is where you were born and raised?
 
Old 10-23-2007, 10:25 AM
 
Location: The 719
13,748 posts, read 21,614,300 times
Reputation: 13342
Quote:
Originally Posted by roseba View Post
As if 'interlopers' don't move to places like NYC and California and well, and jack up the prices of housing (for natives), which is already expensive.

Gimme a break.

People have a right to live where they want to live. Half the people I know in NYC are not originally from NYC. So is it a crime if I was born here, and want to live somewhere else? And what of the genetic lottery anyway? Are you sanctioned to stick it out some place just because that is where you were born and raised?

I guess it's honorable to say, "I bin hir all of ma lafe nd we goes back 10 generashions!" Then you say, "How'd you folks breed?"

In my family, we're into venturing out! We like some STRANGE! It's kind of nice to live in the same state as your family or kin, but in the same town? That's a little weird for us. I wouldn't be too proud of this Native thing. I'm a human being, not a tree.
 
Old 10-23-2007, 11:36 AM
 
Location: New York
2,637 posts, read 2,699,388 times
Reputation: 750
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
I guess it's honorable to say, "I bin hir all of ma lafe nd we goes back 10 generashions!" Then you say, "How'd you folks breed?"

In my family, we're into venturing out! We like some STRANGE! It's kind of nice to live in the same state as your family or kin, but in the same town? That's a little weird for us. I wouldn't be too proud of this Native thing. I'm a human being, not a tree.

Why does your post sound like you are disagreeing with me. I agree that it's a good thing if you want to move. (Not that it's a bad thing if you have reasons for staying.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top