Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 01:15 PM

371 posts, read 1,361,738 times

Advertisements

Yep, another weather question

Seems to me that it's colder / snowier in Colorado than in New York, or at least equivalent. However, New Yorkers ***** about the weather all the time (I'm one of them) and the winters keep us cooped up indoors (except in NYC where people get out more regardless of weather). But people from Colorado admit that it can snow a lot and be cold but that it's "worth it" and that they are still outdoorsy and active.

What's the difference between the winters / snow in each place that makes Colorado winters just fine with (mostly) everyone who's there and makes New Yorkers want to run off to warmer weather?

(*Disclaimer: I've made some generalizations and I know not everyone fits these mindsets, but it's the overall, general impression I've gotten)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2007, 01:22 PM

23 posts, read 143,163 times
Coloradans are fun, outdoorsy folks - we love snow so that we can go out and PLAY! Ski, showshoe, whatever you like. New Yorkers like to dress up in black and stay inside and complain. There, now I've made some big generalizations as well

Old 08-16-2007, 01:32 PM

1 posts, read 18,208 times
Colorado has considerably less humidity than NY (year round), hence you don't get that cold and damp feeling that makes 50 degrees feel cold - while in Colorado 50 degrees is pleasant. Plus, you usually (last winter excepted) don't get extended periods of cold - a week of some snow and temps in the 20s often leads to a week of 50s and 60s, sunshine, and the snow melting off quickly.

Old 08-16-2007, 01:37 PM

17,986 posts, read 27,442,251 times
http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p133/mcgowdog/deadhorse.gif (broken link)Boy!http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p133/mcgowdog/deadhorse.gif (broken link)Here's a new topic!http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p133/mcgowdog/deadhorse.gif (broken link)

Here's the deal: http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p133/mcgowdog/deadhorse.gif (broken link) People aren't that much different. Except maybe that NYC people breathe harder and are tougher than other New York folks.

Colorado is just better than New York. http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p133/mcgowdog/deadhorse.gif (broken link)In terms of being "NOT AS COLD" is concerned.

See if you can follow me here, (I'm sorry for being smart-a##, it's just my way) IT'S MORE HUMID IN NEW YORK THAN IN COLORADO, ESPECIALLY IN THE WINTER! East of us, you guys have air that you can wear. Here in Colorado, we are dry.

Why do people not understand this? Case-in-point; I left NYC when it was 32 F Deg and got into Denver when it was 7 F deg (82 blizzard). When we got out of Stapleton Terminal and we were walking to our car, I said, "Look at the pretty snow" as I took my coat off.

Old 08-16-2007, 01:59 PM

371 posts, read 1,361,738 times
Quote:
See if you can follow me here
Quote:
Why do people not understand this?
Yikes, NOT nice and NOT cool (and being a "smart-ass" is not the same as being "rude", but I do appreciate the pre-emptive apology

Anyway, followed you just fine and it makes sense .... not sure why you think I should've known this already - *I* haven't beat that particular horse before.

Anyway, AWESOME! I've never in my life experienced a winter outside of the Northeast so the idea of a winter that actually feels good is very exciting.

Old 08-16-2007, 02:31 PM

17,986 posts, read 27,442,251 times
I get fired up when I see these threads while it's still 97 degrees around here. But it's a dry heat! See, even the summers aren't that bad.

I didn't mean to be rude. I was going for laughs. I like to add a little color to my posts.

Old 08-16-2007, 02:38 PM

63 posts, read 334,026 times
Colder ? More Snow??? No Way.. not on the western slope.

In Montrose ..the Snow,most of the time melts in the next few days.. except last winter ..it stayed a bit ...

I have traveled back east ...They have winters,,,,...

HM

Old 08-16-2007, 03:11 PM

1,312 posts, read 7,913,962 times
McGowdog - you just made me SNORT!

But yeah, I agree with you, for the Front Range that is. In the mountains it's a lot more snow but for the most part, seasoned Coloradoans will find themselves in shorts when the snow is still on the ground but the sun is shining.

Gotta love Colorado!

Old 08-16-2007, 03:15 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,436,952 times
The Colorado forum needs a winter sticky.

Old 08-16-2007, 03:29 PM

1,312 posts, read 7,913,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
The Colorado forum needs a winter sticky.
You're right.

People seem to think we are knee high in snow 24/7 even in the summer. I have encountered people on the internet who honestly didn't know how far south we actually are! No SH**. I had to tell an internet friend to look up Kansas City (which he lives in the outskirts of) to understand that where I live, Colorado Springs, is actually lower in latitude...I think that's correct...anyhow, we aren't in Canada but because of our average altitude we do get snow.

Now, if people would realize we aren't Montana, North Dakota, Michigan or Buffalo NY....this is semi-arid to arid land here...our state is very diverse but mostly dry as a bone most months which is why people "fight" over water here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado