U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-06-2011, 07:58 PM
 
4 posts, read 6,217 times
Reputation: 21

Advertisements

Honestly, I am out of the "Am I going to go or not" phase. I am coming to CO, I just would like some advice as where to go to best suit my preferences. I hear the doom and gloom every time I read a paper, watch the news, or simply talk to anyone. No one is saying "Hey, come over here, I found where all the jobs have been hiding, and look I found a bag of money". I know things are bleak, but I figure with my work ethic and drive, I can find something. I have come to realize that my "generation" really wants a handout, and to be given an easy road to walk down. I feel like I never was told that. I am not looking for a 35K a year job. I realize the unemployment rate is high because so many people are unwilling to take a job that may not be glamorous or pay on par with what was being made prior to this economic mess. If I look on craigslist right now, go to the jobs section, guess what, it's not blank. There are openings. Again, I am completely aware that the professional jobs are lacking, I agree. But if a dishwasher is having trouble looking for a job, he is either lazy, or not actively looking.

fort collins / north CO customer service jobs classifieds - craigslist are all of these just spam????? Some of you guys must be spoiled, I would take an 8-10 dollar an hour job right now. Will I work there forever?? Hell no! Will I bust my ass until an opportunity opens up? You bet your ass. I don't have a generic degree nor a minimum amount of salary that I must have. I have a strong will to work, survive, and do what it takes. I feel sorry for people that lose that 40-50k job. But you know what, I am not gonna sit in an unemployment line whining about there being no jobs, when Wal-mart has openings, restaurants needs waiters, and customers need cashiers. I never feel sorry for myself, I have pride! There are a million other things that could plague me at any given moment, but I don't dwell. Life is too short. If I get let go from a job, I get my ass up and look for another one. Does it have to pay a certain amount, yeah in money. I watched my Mom work two jobs to keep the lights on, why? Because she had to. I wished everyday that she didn't have to, but I knew why she had to do it. So many people are too willing to admit defeat when things get tough. Am I sorry you took out a 250k loan on your house and you can no longer pay it? Nope. Nothing in this life is guaranteed, and it is foolish and naive to think so. I refuse to bite off more than I can chew, that is why I will never have a credit card. If I can't afford it now, I probably don't need it, or shouldn't get it.

I thank each and every person in this forum, you have given me much insight. I think perception plays a big part in how we see ourselves and the things we surround ourselves with. Some may see this as a level playing field, some might see things as being hopeless. I believe there is opportunity where ever we are, we just have to look hard for it. And even still it may be out of reach, what one does next determines who we are, and what lengths we will travel to get it. I have never given up easily, when someone tells me I can't or I shouldn't. I laugh, because I know I can do anything I allow myself to do. So many are impatient, lazy, or lack the drive. I see it everyday, people too lazy to raise their children, too stupid to know that crime will result in incarceration, too lazy to get a job and would rather let the state determine their fate. Have some more welfare babies and get you child tax credit. Stand in line for the government hand out. I, for one, never will!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-06-2011, 08:36 PM
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
85,033 posts, read 98,948,726 times
Reputation: 31502
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
Agreed. Just in yesterday's Grand Junction's Daily Sentinel the front page headlines read "Employment Drought Lingers". This isn't some "oh boo hoo, woe is me, I just got laid off my job" story, this is a story of a qualified and very experienced office manager who isn't in her third month of unemployment but in her third year of unemployment.

Jim is right. It's the Starvin' Arvin's in Montrose, Butch's restaurant in Delta, South side Restaurant (now Randy's) in Orchard Mesa, that's where you get the straight scoop from the locals who have seen hard times aplenty. And these businesses aren't fail safe either. Randy's laid off a dishwasher and a cashier a year and a half ago. My chiropractor had to lay off a receptionist.

It's still pretty tough over here right now.
Yes, I think the same story was in both the Boulder Daily Camera and the Denver Post. The article in the Post says there are 4.5 applicants for every open job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2011, 08:55 PM
 
8,317 posts, read 25,130,110 times
Reputation: 9066
I admire your grit and determination--that is worth a lot. Still, it may not be enough. In this economy, there are lots of people who have a lot of grit and determination, too, plus a lot of experience and a solid resumé. When you see those people out of work for months on end (or more), you know things are tough. You mention an $8 to $10 per hour job--that really isn't even enough to live at poverty level with a family in Colorado. According to a friend of mine who is a director of county social services here in Colorado, their studies indicate--and he admits that it is an appalling statistic (he's a staunch fiscal conservative)--that if a person is making anything less than $13 per hour, that person is money ahead to be on welfare in Colorado. That very well may be the reason that there are some $8-$10 per hour jobs available. You also mention that you would look at those jobs as a "temporary" situation. Well, there are plenty of well-educated, experienced workers in Colorado that have been in those "temporary" situations for years now, with little hope of getting out of them--the higher level jobs are just not there. In this economy, anyone who has a decent job--and I am one--is holding on to it for dear life because they know if they lose it, they may NEVER be able to find another one in this state that is as good. That means that "upward mobility" is real limited.

The people who have the best luck finding employment in Colorado are those individuals with sterling resumés, a lot of good work experience (like 20 years plus), and who work in the specialized fields for which there may not be a lot of jobs in Colorado, but for which there is not a big pool of qualified applicants out there, either. They can often find a "niche" in which to fit--though the locale in Colorado may not be their first, or even second or third choice. They also run the risk of having to leave the state or take a drastic cut in pay if that job happens to evaporate. It's a stressful and risky job environment in which to live, but that's the way things are today.

I sure as hell would not want to be in a position of having to try to find a job in Colorado right now--and I have one hell of a resumé, a ton of very marketable work experience, and strong business connections all over Colorado. It's just that rough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2011, 10:58 PM
 
16,438 posts, read 18,538,758 times
Reputation: 9490
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
.

The people who have the best luck finding employment in Colorado are those individuals with sterling resumés, a lot of good work experience (like 20 years plus), and who work in the specialized fields for which there may not be a lot of jobs in Colorado, but for which there is not a big pool of qualified applicants out there, either.
Having a Secret or better security clearance would be a help also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2011, 11:23 PM
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
85,033 posts, read 98,948,726 times
Reputation: 31502
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
I admire your grit and determination--that is worth a lot. Still, it may not be enough. In this economy, there are lots of people who have a lot of grit and determination, too, plus a lot of experience and a solid resumé. When you see those people out of work for months on end (or more), you know things are tough. You mention an $8 to $10 per hour job--that really isn't even enough to live at poverty level with a family in Colorado. According to a friend of mine who is a director of county social services here in Colorado, their studies indicate--and he admits that it is an appalling statistic (he's a staunch fiscal conservative)--that if a person is making anything less than $13 per hour, that person is money ahead to be on welfare in Colorado. That very well may be the reason that there are some $8-$10 per hour jobs available. You also mention that you would look at those jobs as a "temporary" situation. Well, there are plenty of well-educated, experienced workers in Colorado that have been in those "temporary" situations for years now, with little hope of getting out of them--the higher level jobs are just not there. In this economy, anyone who has a decent job--and I am one--is holding on to it for dear life because they know if they lose it, they may NEVER be able to find another one in this state that is as good. That means that "upward mobility" is real limited.

The people who have the best luck finding employment in Colorado are those individuals with sterling resumés, a lot of good work experience (like 20 years plus), and who work in the specialized fields for which there may not be a lot of jobs in Colorado, but for which there is not a big pool of qualified applicants out there, either. They can often find a "niche" in which to fit--though the locale in Colorado may not be their first, or even second or third choice. They also run the risk of having to leave the state or take a drastic cut in pay if that job happens to evaporate. It's a stressful and risky job environment in which to live, but that's the way things are today.

I sure as hell would not want to be in a position of having to try to find a job in Colorado right now--and I have one hell of a resumé, a ton of very marketable work experience, and strong business connections all over Colorado. It's just that rough.
Oh, pfft! My daughter made $10/hr, lived with a roommate and managed to save some money in the process.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2011, 01:16 AM
 
9,817 posts, read 19,042,905 times
Reputation: 7541
I know of two relatives, professionals, one making over $100k a year and they ended up gradually out of work.

One has taken a 9-5 job at half his previous salary and augments it with some other work he does from home.

Another is doing the same work and actually preferred to cut back for personal reasons, but she makes about 50% as before and is technically a contractor.

In my opinion they both are lucky, but both are exceptional in their fields.

Another relative ended up out of work completely and exists in a nice house due to the largesse of another family member granting free rent and lives off of SS and a small pension.

I know a lot of other people in similar boats.

Personally due to the instability in the world and financial markets, if you have a job, hold on to it and I wouldn't move anywhere in the USA unless I had a job in hand.

I did not move to Colorado in 1999 without a job guaranteed.

That would be my advice, don't move unless you have a job. Before coming I would well research all possibilities, line up contacts. I'd have a plan A, plan B, plan C. I'd have some money saved up for expenses.

The deal with Colorado is that due to the perceived scenery and weather and maybe other issues, it is a popular place to move to. But often when the economy doesn't do so well, you have a ton of people looking to "escape" their current situation elsewhere, looking to Colorado as the promised land. All that means is that CO becomes ultra competitive for jobs.

It's like up in the ski towns. Even during the economic boom times, I worked with plenty of PhD's, business people, former executives, etc. that were all trying to get by in the ski towns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2011, 09:17 AM
 
8,317 posts, read 25,130,110 times
Reputation: 9066
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Oh, pfft! My daughter made $10/hr, lived with a roommate and managed to save some money in the process.
She wasn't trying to support a family. Hello?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2011, 10:52 AM
 
1,258 posts, read 1,470,802 times
Reputation: 1392
All I can say - there are TONS of jobs for qualified individuals. They are everywhere - in Colorado, Texas and all around the country.
My employer is hiring (Denver), my former employer is hiring (Ohio) and they both can't get the right applicants in the door because there aren't many who can do the job!
Get your Bachelors in Computer Science and get that 50-60K job, right out of college. You will have 70-80K in 5 years. Drop out, move wherever - and you will be fighting for 8-10 hour job for the most of your life. Good work ethic starts with good education. When will people understand that location doesn't change your outcome, but education and skills do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2011, 12:36 PM
 
Location: Centennial State
399 posts, read 668,267 times
Reputation: 176
Many people have already suggested those making threads like these finish up taking care of loose ends before they step foot into their new future. But some are determined and don't mind adding a couple of more years of education to their plate when they finalize their move. Even though their credits or all of their credits from one college doesn't transfer, they're consciously happy living in a place that doesn't distract them form education.

Location plays a large role in the outcome and upbringing. If a person or people cannot function because their current location is too distracting or anything of the like to impede concentration on studies, it DOES change your outcome. Not everyone can study organic chemistry or microeconomics with loud fighter jets taking off every chance they get. I definitely couldn't study riding in an armored hummer in Iraq or Afghanistan. ;D I dislike the hot weather (80 degrees Fahrenheit or above) to begin with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2011, 07:04 PM
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
85,033 posts, read 98,948,726 times
Reputation: 31502
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
She wasn't trying to support a family. Hello?
You didn't say anything about raising a family in the post I quoted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top