U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 01:54 AM

182 posts, read 272,056 times

Advertisements

Well if you lived in Pueblo, what else would there be to do....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2011, 07:00 AM

2,866 posts, read 7,101,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvs2Trvl View Post
Well if you lived in Pueblo, what else would there be to do....
DING DING DING!!!

We have a winner! That, and I'm not trying to be THAT guy, but Pueblo has a pretty big hispanic population, and it seems more generally accepted by that group for girls to have 3 kids by the time they're 18.

Old 09-06-2011, 07:30 AM

12,843 posts, read 23,226,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanek9freak View Post
DING DING DING!!!

We have a winner! That, and I'm not trying to be THAT guy, but Pueblo has a pretty big hispanic population, and it seems more generally accepted by that group for girls to have 3 kids by the time they're 18.
Nah, imo it's more of a class thing.

Old 09-06-2011, 01:20 PM

13,680 posts, read 21,511,639 times
I agree. To bash a whole race just doesn't seem too American to me.

I can't live in such a way that I would have prejudice and disdain for a whole race of people, even in lowly Pueblo Colorado.

Let's just keep in mind that the OP is one who hates Pueblo Colorado to begin with and has an eye out for pregnant Pueblo teens as well;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Bound View Post
I attended a similar event in Durango last weekend and didn't see one teenage girl pushing around a baby stroller or one fight. If I were an outsider visiting Pueblo for the WW Fest or the Boats, bands and BBQ event, I would leave scratching my head.

Old 09-06-2011, 01:59 PM

2,866 posts, read 7,101,260 times
You can't deny that hispanic girls have a disproportionate amount of teenage pregnancies. Its not a race bashing thing, it's fact. Need I say more? These figures are straight from the CDC by the way.

Last edited by ryanek9freak; 09-06-2011 at 02:13 PM..

Old 09-06-2011, 02:01 PM

12,102 posts, read 20,362,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Okay, and I won't blame Josseppie either....

LOL thanks....

Old 09-06-2011, 02:08 PM

12,102 posts, read 20,362,717 times
I think I might shock people again.

Pueblo's two big problems are education and teenage pregnancy and I think both are related. If Pueblo can find a way to cut back on the number of teens who have babies I think you will see more students staying in school and that will help raise the education level and income level of many people here. I am not sure if they have sex education in the schools but in my opinion they should have it starting in the 6th grade as kids are having sex in middle school. This will give them the knowledge they need so hopefully more kids will stay in school and not get pregnant.

This is from the Chieftain:

PUEBLO’S HIGH rate of poverty is fed by, among other things, the high rate of teen pregnancy here. What’s troubling is local health officials note that 45 percent of teenage girls who have babies want to get pregnant. That figure was taken during a surveys taken from 2000 to 2009.

The link: Pregnancy and poverty - The Pueblo Chieftain: Editorials

Old 09-06-2011, 02:15 PM

20,315 posts, read 37,820,570 times
Great chart from Ryan. I prefer to not see it as a racial thing, but more of a CULTURE thing, though it's hard to find words to explain that, other than to say that "color" is not a causative factor as everyone likes sex and babies, but a "cultural" outlook within said groups. There's less "stigma" in some groups to become moms when young and single, and a yearning in such girls to be or have something meaningful, and having a baby / being a mom is a meaningful thing.

Going back to my youth, the cavemen rarely lived past 25 years of age; there were no dentists or toothpaste and once all the teeth rotted away by the early 20's, people couldn't eat fibrous plant matter or stringy meats and slowly starved to death. Having babies in those days at age 12 and up was normal. Times have changed. Religion has, in many CULTURES, put sex on the no-no list until later in life but for some folks, it just doesn't matter as much, they still have that yearning to be loved, and girls with little hope for the future are usually the ones who end up pregnant, the baby will love and need them, even if no one else will. Therein lies a great sadness.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 09-06-2011, 02:23 PM

13,680 posts, read 21,511,639 times
I can't believe that there's any survey that accurately separates "hispanics" from "non-hispanic" whites because whenever you go to the police blotter and see who is sitting in the can, they instantly identify as "white". Based on the jail population, you'd think Pueblo is composed of 95% whites, but somehow with Hispanic names and complexion.

I don't think tracking folks by religion is any less acurate than tracking them by race.

But as David mentioned, I'd agree that it's more of a socio-economic and religious culture issue than one of race. Besides that, you can get stats to say whatever you want. There again, how did they separate "hispanic" from "white non-hispanics"?

To me, life isn't a game of "LIFE" where you get a thousand bucks for each kid you accumulate at the end.

Old 09-06-2011, 02:57 PM

532 posts, read 876,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
I can't believe that there's any survey that accurately separates "hispanics" from "non-hispanic" whites because whenever you go to the police blotter and see who is sitting in the can, they instantly identify as "white". Based on the jail population, you'd think Pueblo is composed of 95% whites, but somehow with Hispanic names and complexion.
"Hispanic names" are derived from Spain, a European country, and Hispanics of Colorado generally possess predominantly European admixture, as evidenced by Admixture in the Hispanics of the San Luis Valley, Colorado, and its implications for complex trait gene mapping: "In this paper we focus on a particular Hispanic population living in the San Luis Valley (SLV) in Southern Colorado. We used a set of 22 Ancestry Informative Markers (AIMs) to describe the admixture process and dynamics in this population. AIMs are defined as genetic markers that exhibit allele frequency differences between parental populations >or=30%, and are more informative for studying admixed populations than random markers. The ancestral proportions of the SLV Hispanic population are estimated as 62.7 +/- 2.1% European, 34.1 +/- 1.9% Native American and 3.2 +/- 1.5% West African."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or