U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2011, 08:52 AM

521 posts, read 693,148 times

Advertisements

I won't post my wife's and I entire story because it would be the sixth time and anyone searching any one of the dozen topics that get reposted repeatedly on here can see it but you most definitely don't need several thousand dollars to get "established" out here.

Granted we both moved out responsibly by her having a job before we moved and me finding one within a couple days but we came out here with less than $100. We had met someone during the week we came to find jobs and a place to live that let us crash on their floor for a week and a half 'til we got paid and could afford the first months's rent on the apartment we wanted.

If you guys really want to move out here shoot me a PM and I could probably hook yall up with a free room for a few weeks while you get on your feet.

Don't buy into the BS that you need a bunch of cash to get out here. My wife and I seemed to be able to do it with two dogs, a few pairs of skis, a few changes of clothes, and one good friend who opened his home to us for a couple weeks.

Get determined and do it.

And oh yeah... O-H
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2011, 09:23 AM

12,845 posts, read 23,267,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
Don't believe me? Ask the law enforcement people or the people in the Dept. of Corrections from where a lot of the gang activity is originating. People love to think that I sit around and make this stuff up. Oh, if I were only that original. I am repeating what I've been told--in this instance, from law enforcement people whose opinions I trust.
And California passes the buck on to Mexico and El Salvador.

Gangs use outposts to move their drugs and guns, and to gain greater presence. Where there's a market for their "services", there's a market for them.

While it would be nice if we could stop Californians from coming here, or having come here at all, it wouldn't stop gangs from better establishing themselves in Colorado.

Even more, the gang problem in Colorado doesn't affect most people's daily lives (it sure doesn't affect mine), and it shouldn't be a major cause for concern for the OP (OH has gangs too obv).

Old 09-11-2011, 10:12 AM

85,047 posts, read 98,999,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiScree View Post
I won't post my wife's and I entire story because it would be the sixth time and anyone searching any one of the dozen topics that get reposted repeatedly on here can see it but you most definitely don't need several thousand dollars to get "established" out here.

Granted we both moved out responsibly by her having a job before we moved and me finding one within a couple days but we came out here with less than $100. We had met someone during the week we came to find jobs and a place to live that let us crash on their floor for a week and a half 'til we got paid and could afford the first months's rent on the apartment we wanted.

If you guys really want to move out here shoot me a PM and I could probably hook yall up with a free room for a few weeks while you get on your feet.

Don't buy into the BS that you need a bunch of cash to get out here. My wife and I seemed to be able to do it with two dogs, a few pairs of skis, a few changes of clothes, and one good friend who opened his home to us for a couple weeks.

Get determined and do it.

And oh yeah... O-H
You guys did have a job waiting for you here. I would be loathe to advise anyone to move with only $100 and NO jobs. DH and I did move out here w/o jobs, but we had substantial savings. It took 3 mo. for DH to find a job.

Old 09-11-2011, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
You guys did have a job waiting for you here. I would be loathe to advise anyone to move with only $100 and NO jobs. DH and I did move out here w/o jobs, but we had substantial savings. It took 3 mo. for DH to find a job.

LOL...I did not have a job waiting for me and it isn't like my wife had a check waiting for her on the first day.

Also, OP said they don't have degrees. I'm willing to guess your DH has a degree and didn't want to take a job beneath his experience level. If that isn't the case then it should have never taken three months to find a job. For someone that really wants to be here, finding something temporarily to pay the bills while lookng for something better isn't below them. Now if they don't want to be here and they just really DON'T want to be there, that's a different story.

Bottom line: If someone wants to move out here and they aren't looking to buy a house and they have no kids, there is no reason why they can't "wing it" knowing they have somewhere to stay if they can't find a job delivering pizza or making sandwiches within a week (which anyone with a functional brain could do).

Do you honestly think I'd give the same advice to a family of four?

Old 09-11-2011, 01:37 PM

Quote:
LOL...I did not have a job waiting for me and it isn't like my wife had a check waiting for her on the first day.

She had a check waiting for her in 2 wks, or at most a month.

Also, OP said they don't have degrees. I'm willing to guess your DH has a degree and didn't want to take a job beneath his experience level. If that isn't the case then it should have never taken three months to find a job. For someone that really wants to be here, finding something temporarily to pay the bills while lookng for something better isn't below them. Now if they don't want to be here and they just really DON'T want to be there, that's a different story.

There's no need to be so snarky. No, someone with a PhD in physics does't want to flip burgers at Mac's, but he interviewed for a lot of jobs that only required a BS in engineering, and in fact has never had a job where he actually needed the PhD.

Bottom line: If someone wants to move out here and they aren't looking to buy a house and they have no kids, there is no reason why they can't "wing it" knowing they have somewhere to stay if they can't find a job delivering pizza or making sandwiches within a week (which anyone with a functional brain could do).

Bottom line: I think a lot of people move here unprepared for the reality that it might take some time to find a job, any job. As an example, my daughter interviewed for numerous jobs in the fall of 2009 which did not require a degree. She was offered one full time job, three weeks into her job search.

I don't know, we're not talking about a family of four here.

Old 09-11-2011, 02:13 PM

8,317 posts, read 25,143,563 times
Though Katiana and I disagree on many things, I agree fully with what she has posted above.

Moving to Colorado (or anywhere) without some cash saved up--enough for at least six months living expenses--is just plain stupid. In that scenario, all it takes is one relatively minor financial blip--an even relatively minor health issue requiring medical treatment, for example--to place an individual or family into crisis. Though it apparently seems acceptable to some people, mooching off of friends or family is hardly a good way to get a start, either. If for no other reason, if that situation lasts more than just a very short period of time, it's a good way to have ex-friends and unfriendly relatives. Nor is it acceptable to relocate with the idea of milking the unemployment or welfare system in order to live here--that is pretty g*****ed morally bankrupt, too. People need to grow up and realize that doing some things that one wants to do--and relocating to Colorado is one of those--requires patience, planning, responsibility, and--most likely--some sacrifice to achieve. It don't just happen.

Old 09-11-2011, 02:32 PM

16,438 posts, read 18,547,561 times
Quote:
I hope the pizza or sandwich place is hiring. If they are, let us know!

Old 09-11-2011, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiScree

She had a check waiting for her in 2 wks, or at most a month.

Exactly. That doesn't change whether you find a job before you move or find one the first few days you get here.

There's no need to be so snarky. No, someone with a PhD in physics does't want to flip burgers at Mac's, but he interviewed for a lot of jobs that only required a BS in engineering, and in fact has never had a job where he actually needed the PhD.

I wasn't being snarky. Much like you I was using your DH as an example. You used him as an example and I correctly assumed he had a degree. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know someone with a PhD is going to look for the right job and not flip burgers. However, someone without a degree and willing to flip burgers for something they really want WILL be able to find a job within a week.

Bottom line: I think a lot of people move here unprepared for the reality that it might take some time to find a job, any job. As an example, my daughter interviewed for numerous jobs in the fall of 2009 which did not require a degree. She was offered one full time job, three weeks into her job search.

Bottom line: I highly doubt your daughter interviewed for such positions as cook at Pizza Hut or customer service rep at Sears. Reread the OP's first post. They're looking for a one bedroom for under $500 a month. Even if they are looking for full-time work it isn't going to be non-degree entry level type stuff, it would be in the food industry most likely. I've lived in their shoes and feel more than comfortable giving advice to young couples in their situation.

Quote:
I don't know, we're not talking about a family of four here.
You're right but by the same token you aren't understanding that while, ideally, jobs and thousands in the bank should be had before making any huge move, it also can be done with careful planning and desire.

And if we were (talking about a family of four) I'd be giving them advice much to the tune of yours.

Old 09-11-2011, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
Though Katiana and I disagree on many things, I agree fully with what she has posted above.

Moving to Colorado (or anywhere) without some cash saved up--enough for at least six months living expenses--is just plain stupid. In that scenario, all it takes is one relatively minor financial blip--an even relatively minor health issue requiring medical treatment, for example--to place an individual or family into crisis. Though it apparently seems acceptable to some people, mooching off of friends or family is hardly a good way to get a start, either. If for no other reason, if that situation lasts more than just a very short period of time, it's a good way to have ex-friends and unfriendly relatives. Nor is it acceptable to relocate with the idea of milking the unemployment or welfare system in order to live here--that is pretty g*****ed morally bankrupt, too. People need to grow up and realize that doing some things that one wants to do--and relocating to Colorado is one of those--requires patience, planning, responsibility, and--most likely--some sacrifice to achieve. It don't just happen.

Bingo. You've said it best. I never said it was smart to move out here under my parameters I just said it could be done. And I didn't really want to to this because I hate sounding like an arrogant loser but my wife is pursuing her masters and I my PhD. I guess all that really says is according to most we were idiots for moving out how we did but it all ended up good in the long run.

Old 09-11-2011, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Bottom line: I highly doubt your daughter interviewed for such positions as cook at Pizza Hut or customer service rep at Sears. Reread the OP's first post. They're looking for a one bedroom for under $500 a month. Even if they are looking for full-time work it isn't going to be non-degree entry level type stuff, it would be in the food industry most likely. I've lived in their shoes and feel more than comfortable giving advice to young couples in their situation.
Actually, she interviewed for:

Gymnastics coach
Ice rink attendant
Movie theater employee
and
Numerous child care jobs, one of which she got. Those are the jobs I can remember her interviewing for. There may have been others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado