U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 09:41 PM

1 posts, read 3,639 times

Advertisements

I don't know much about Colorado so I figured I'd ask some people from around there about some good places to live.

My boyfriend and I are wanting to move to Colorado soon. We're both 21 but we're not too into the partying scene. Right now we live in Columbus, Ohio which neither of us like too much. Too much flat land and too many cows :P

So we're looking for somewhere as close to the mountains as we can be and with plenty of nature but somewhere that has jobs that pay decently for someone without a college degree. We're also looking for somewhere with affordable housing... Right now we pay 450/month for a one bedroom apartment that's about 500 fq ft. We're not too worried about having huge shopping malls or anything either since we both grew up in a small farming community where the biggest store around was Wal Mart and the only entertainment there was was an old skating rink and a bowling alley.

We're looking to start a family eventually too so schools and safety is really important. I'm a small female so I don't want to feel unsafe if I decide to go for a walk by myself.

Snow and cold isn't really a big deal since we're use to driving in it in Ohio.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2011, 10:18 PM

5,607 posts, read 20,188,106 times
You're not going to find apartments that cheap anywhere in the state unless if it's an old, tiny place in a bad neighborhood.

The biggest question you two should be asking is what are you going to do for a living, where's the best place to find jobs in your field? That's the hard part, everything else is easy to figure out after you have that part down.

Old 09-09-2011, 08:04 AM

20,308 posts, read 37,797,930 times
Parts of COLO SPGS are not all that high-priced and there are some low level jobs here. Use padmapper.com to look at prices.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 09-09-2011, 05:52 PM

34 posts, read 27,289 times
There is no place in Colorado that I can think of that would meet all if really any of those wants and needs.

I would too stress that you need to think of JOB first. What are you 2 going to do for work? I would start thinking first about what kind of skills, training, experience, etc. you need to get so that you will be able to live in an area you desire and have an income that will provide for you both and a family. Note, this does not necessarily require a college degree. In fact, college degrees are a waste of time and money for many. But it does mean thinking about what sort of job you want.

Old 09-09-2011, 07:20 PM

2,771 posts, read 3,457,677 times
Cheap, good jobs and safe is a hard trifecta.

Just looking at rent: Pueblo has some 1 bedrooms starting at $500 on the low end. You could also look into Pueblo West as well.

Evans had a few around $500.

Looks like Colorado Springs has a few in the $500-$550 range.

Brighton, Golden, Littleton seem to start at $650 per month for 1 bedrooms.

The latter more expensive cities not surprisingly have access to bigger, better job markets and are probably generally safer.

If you get a start in one place, you can try to move up later.

Old 09-10-2011, 09:10 AM

14,131 posts, read 26,255,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galtsgulch View Post
Note, this does not necessarily require a college degree. In fact, college degrees are a waste of time and money for many. But it does mean thinking about what sort of job you want.
I know plenty of people without college degrees who took low level jobs in companies (administrative assistant, invoice processor, etc.) and worked their way up by working hard and building solid relationships with co-workers. Perhaps you could find a job like that say in the Denver area and then move to nicer areas as your incomes grow. Just don't have kids until you're settled and well established.

Old 09-10-2011, 04:20 PM

8,317 posts, read 25,099,702 times
One of Colorado's less than stellar statistics is that many places--even the smaller communities--only have middling ratings as far as crime goes. While most of the violent crime that occurs in the worse-rated areas is either drug-related, domestic, or some combination of the two, there are some areas where gangs are a significant problem. A lot of that has been caused by ex-Californians relocating to Colorado ostensibly to get away from gangs, but--knowingly or not--bringing their gang-banger children with them. Those little Satans are now busy recruiting locals. It used to be that most Colorado gang activity was perpetrated by "wannabes" who watched the gang-banger lifestyle on TV, but more and more of the activity these days is being perpetrated by individuals who are the "real deal."

A lot of those gang-bangers are finding their way into the overextended Colorado correctional system where they are busy recruiting new members, as well. While Colorado's gang problem is nowhere near the extent of places like California, anyone who says there isn't a very significant gang problem nearly statewide in Colorado is kidding themselves.

Many areas of Colorado also suffer from significant property crime problems. This often is a combination of considerable areas of "have/have not" economic stratification combined with often very thinly spread law enforcement--especially in rural areas, an overwhelmed court system, and general breakdown in many communities' social fabric. Colorado's festering fiscal situation and deteriorating economy are likely to make those problems worse, not better.

Old 09-10-2011, 06:25 PM

12,840 posts, read 23,205,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
A lot of that has been caused by ex-Californians relocating to Colorado ostensibly to get away from gangs, but--knowingly or not--bringing their gang-banger children with them.
Solid proof of this would be nice, but any place that grows is going to see an increase in gang activity, whether or not those moving in are from one particular state. I'm aware that 'we the evil Californians' are the plurality of the newcomers, but California is the most populous state, chances are we are going to be the plurality in many growing places in the west.

I'm going to apologize in advance for my "little California satans", that were brought here when they were 6 and 2, respectively. My Colorado-native son is the one you have to watch out for though, he has a mean streak when he wants his bottle. Gangs moving in from any state are the exception, not the rule.

Between 1995 and 2000, Colorado wasn't even the most popular choice for Californians: Nevada, Arizona, Texas, Washington, and Oregon, all have CO beat. A collective of Arizona, Florida, Illinois, New Mexico, New York, and Texas sent more people to CO than CA did, are they any less to blame for CO's new found problems?

http://www.census.gov/prod/2003pubs/censr-8.pdf

-------------------------------------------------------------

OP, if each of you can find a job that pays $400-$500/wk (this can be done waiting tables, delivering pizza, etc), you guys should be able to afford an apartment in most non-resort areas in Colorado.

But no matter what, come here with at least several thousand to get established/pay the bills til you find jobs.

Old 09-10-2011, 10:21 PM

8,317 posts, read 25,099,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Solid proof of this would be nice, but any place that grows is going to see an increase in gang activity, whether or not those moving in are from one particular state. I'm aware that 'we the evil Californians' are the plurality of the newcomers, but California is the most populous state, chances are we are going to be the plurality in many growing places in the west.
Don't believe me? Ask the law enforcement people or the people in the Dept. of Corrections from where a lot of the gang activity is originating. People love to think that I sit around and make this stuff up. Oh, if I were only that original. I am repeating what I've been told--in this instance, from law enforcement people whose opinions I trust.

Old 09-11-2011, 07:36 AM

14,131 posts, read 26,255,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
Don't believe me? Ask the law enforcement people or the people in the Dept. of Corrections from where a lot of the gang activity is originating. People love to think that I sit around and make this stuff up. Oh, if I were only that original. I am repeating what I've been told--in this instance, from law enforcement people whose opinions I trust.
^^ "Stuff" my dad used to say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado