U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2007, 06:17 PM

371 posts, read 1,140,507 times

Advertisements

We've considered Golden, CO and I'm wondering if there are other "Golden-like" places out there in Colorado that I should look at. (Also, is Golden really only 23 mins from Denver and 32 mins from Boulder - as per Mapquest?)

**more info below in case more details help with other recommendations (or to tell me I'm totally off about Golden

We're still in the early stages of our search: Family of 4, husband does computer graphics and game animation (currently from home) and I am a psychologist/ life coach (currently home with the kids, 3 and 1 years old).

We're looking for a 3 bedroom (+ home office) or 4 bedroom place, full finished basement, 2 car garage and at least one acre of land (preferrably a few more acres if possible). We'd like to stay under $450K. I hate most of those cookie-cutter neighborhoods (though there might be some that are creative enough). We want VIEWS of mountains and hills (and have easy close access to those mountains, though not ON them).

We want good public schools OR cheap private schools, a very safe neighborhood where there are many other families (though we don't mind some singles and retirees thrown in ) and a place with a sense of community that stands on its own two feet for most basic forms of entertainment (though being close to a larger city would be nice for job reasons).

We want to preferrably be in the foothills and I want to be able to throw my kids in a stroller and either go for a walk on a trail or get on my bike and go biking (off-road) or get to a skiing spot within an hour's distance. We want a place where it's possible to enjoy the outdoors most of the time and where there's a spirit of healthy living.

I also want to live in a place where the people are generally educated and forward thinking (not in a political sort of way - I hate extremists in either direction). Just open-minded, relaxed sort of atmosphere.

Ok, hope I've been specific enough.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2007, 10:38 PM

2,755 posts, read 11,514,509 times
Well, you could also consider the town of Morrison. In some ways it's like Golden in that it's in a small valley beyond the hogback.

Surprisingly, foothills communities don't always have great views, however. The reason is that the foothills tend to obscure the snow capped peaks of the mountains beyond. The more spectacular views tend to come when one gets a little further from the mountains, and up on some high ground so you can have an unobstructed view.

Old 08-17-2007, 11:26 PM

84,966 posts, read 98,814,535 times
Quote:
(Also, is Golden really only 23 mins from Denver and 32 mins from Boulder - as per Mapquest?)
Yes, in ideal conditions. And that distance is to the southeren Boulder city limits. It could take you another 20 min. to get where you are going in Boulder.

Old 08-18-2007, 12:46 PM

371 posts, read 1,140,507 times
Quote:
Surprisingly, foothills communities don't always have great views, however. The reason is that the foothills tend to obscure the snow capped peaks of the mountains beyond. The more spectacular views tend to come when one gets a little further from the mountains, and up on some high ground so you can have an unobstructed view.
That's a great point. Hadn't thought about that. I guess we can't have our cake and eat it too, meaning be right next to the mountain (for easy access )and then get a good view of it). Also in my weather thread someone suggested (which makes sense) that while snow comes and goes fairly quickly in average CO weather, it's different at the foothill (and the mountains, of course). Lots to think about.

Keep the suggestions coming though ... and I guess if we have to be a tiny bit off fromthe mountain we can live with that as long as we can get there fairly quickly (which is under 30 minutes in my book). Thanks.

Old 08-18-2007, 01:08 PM

84,966 posts, read 98,814,535 times
Pine Brook Hills west of Boulder might meet some of your criteria. There are simply not many foothills communities, especially not those w/1 acre lots. You could also try Lyons, a foothills community west of Longmont.

Old 08-18-2007, 07:14 PM

23 posts, read 131,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
Yes, in ideal conditions. And that distance is to the southeren Boulder city limits. It could take you another 20 min. to get where you are going in Boulder.
I agree, Pittnurse70. I have found that from Golden to South Boulder takes the same amount of time as from South Boulder to North Boulder (20-25 min for each), so depends quite a bit on where in Boulder you intend to go.

Old 09-24-2007, 02:51 PM

7 posts, read 29,854 times
Golden Can Get quite a bit a snow i lived there for 15 years & it can b sunny & 70 degrees out 1 day & u can wake up to 2-3 feet of snow certain times of the year. also when we do get lots of snow it melts quikly like 5 years ago on sping break it snowed almost 12 feet in 2 days & was gone by the next saturday. also in the 14 years i went to school in Golden We only Had 1 Just 1 snow day so in my Neighborhood we had to catch the bus at 6:20 am & in the winter when its 25-30 degrees out without windchill & the wind gusting 15-25 mph we just have 2 stan there & wait & wait & wait. also being right off the rockies when theres a big windstorm b ready for wind speeds up to 100mph if your lucky they'll stay around 75mph at the most

Old 09-24-2007, 07:36 PM

447 posts, read 1,391,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralf57 View Post
Golden Can Get quite a bit a snow i lived there for 15 years & it can b sunny & 70 degrees out 1 day & u can wake up to 2-3 feet of snow certain times of the year. also when we do get lots of snow it melts quikly like 5 years ago on sping break it snowed almost 12 feet in 2 days & was gone by the next saturday. also in the 14 years i went to school in Golden We only Had 1 Just 1 snow day so in my Neighborhood we had to catch the bus at 6:20 am & in the winter when its 25-30 degrees out without windchill & the wind gusting 15-25 mph we just have 2 stan there & wait & wait & wait. also being right off the rockies when theres a big windstorm b ready for wind speeds up to 100mph if your lucky they'll stay around 75mph at the most
That's the Colorado weather that I am hoping for........a welcomed change to the bland SC weather.....LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado