U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2006, 09:34 AM

15 posts, read 52,286 times

Advertisements

I am thinking about buying a lot in Pueblo West CO and was wondering if it is a nice place to live in. I have heard mixed reviews about it being nice and others saying that it is dumpish. What is the crime rate like. Is there a lot of shopping and any malls. What about the schools? Any info would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2006, 09:47 AM

14 posts, read 61,773 times
Hi Max,

My brother lives in Pueblo West. Has a beautiful home on a dirt lot adjacent to a very bumpy dirt road. It's more of a Prairie area.

Pueblo West is an extension of Pueblo. Pueblo has the second best rated children's museum in the country, plenty of shopping, restaurants, hotels and a zoo.

It's a few hours from Denver Airport and the wonderful Denver Science and History Museum.

The nicest thing about Pueblo and Pueblo West is that the snow more or less stops in Colorado Springs. The winter is a bit milder in Pueblo.

Save a place for me.

Old 09-07-2006, 08:20 AM

1,921 posts, read 5,084,152 times
I posted a thread last week, or thereabouts, concerning Pueblo, but didn't get a response, so, I will ask again. What can anyone tell me about the area? I've done, (and am still doing), some research on Durango, Cortez, and Trinidad, (thanks to Crackerjack, and the others for info on those areas ), but, now I would like to hear about Pueblo. Also, Canyon City, and Colorado City, (and, Pueblo West, for that matter). They seem to make a kind of triangle. I've done some research on these three towns, but, it's always helpful to hear from those who know about the area.

Old 09-14-2006, 10:57 AM

2 posts, read 13,449 times
Default Pueblo West

My niece and her husband live in Pueblo West. If I were moving to Colorado, with it's beautiful mountains, rivers, Juniper and Pine trees, beautiful historical towns, etc., Pueblo West would be the last place I would live. Canyon City, Florence, Rye, are all close to Pueblo and are far better places to live in my opinion.

Old 10-03-2006, 03:56 PM

423 posts, read 982,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IB Jehu View Post
My niece and her husband live in Pueblo West. If I were moving to Colorado, with it's beautiful mountains, rivers, Juniper and Pine trees, beautiful historical towns, etc., Pueblo West would be the last place I would live. Canyon City, Florence, Rye, are all close to Pueblo and are far better places to live in my opinion.
Could you say more about this please, Pueblo West vs Canon City, Florence, Rye etc. Why would PW be the last place you would live. Thanks.

Old 12-29-2006, 11:19 PM

3 posts, read 14,000 times
Default Info FROM PW

Ok, so as I look at this thread I see a couple of people wanting information on the area, and a couple of people not from the area providing information . . . . . but no one from who actually lives here saying anything.

Ok, I'll start. It's a terrible horrible place, please don't move here. ;-) Now that I've gotten that out of the way, growth is inevitable. Fortunately, Pueblo West has some pretty clear boundaries setup. The city is split in half by highway 50. On the southside of the highway it is a well planned and organized community with many things to offer. On the northside, it's sorta the wild west. People buy lots and sorta build how and what they want without restrictions, covenants, etc. Oh, and there's no natural gas over there either, you buy and build, you use propane.

We got our first walmart . . . . *sigh*. Nearest mall is in Pueblo.

PW is a newer community with most of the growth in the last 10-15 years. If you are looking for an older more established city, Pueblo is 10 minutes to the East. House are much less expensive in Pueblo as well . . . . . of course the city is four times the size of PW.

Canon City is to the West, it's also been around much longer than PW . . . . the major economic interest there is the prisons. . . . . most of the population depends on them somehow, whether as inmate or employment and their families. However it is a GORGEOUS little town.

Yes, PW is in the dusty flatlands . . . . . . however a large part of the area surrounds the golf course so there are nice trees, and I'd expect in another 20 years or so, the community will start to become as green and treed as Pueblo.

Dumpish? No, I certainly wouldn't call it that. On the northside of the highway it is a bit more freeform . . . people buy their acreage and expect to be left alone.

As far as growth, the resevoir is to the south and the military reservation to the north (hope you like the sound of heavy artillery).

The snow does stop in springs, but it's definately colder here in the winter and hotter in the summer. Oh, and the wind never stops.

hope this helps.

Old 12-30-2006, 07:59 AM

129 posts, read 1,102,599 times
There was another thread about Pueblo recently -- here's the link:

Why is Pueblo CO so cheap?

Having lived outside of Beulah (25 mi. SW of Pueblo) for 5 years, let me add to my previous posts about Pueblo.

Everyone I knew who lived in Pueblo West complained about the wind, wind, and more wind. Then again, since there are virtually NO trees, and since Pueblo West is built on prairie land, that isn't too surprising. Sure, in 20 years or so, the planted trees may fill in the place and it may become green. Meanwhile, though...

Nearly every building in Pueblo West is relatively new. When we first bought our land east of Beulah in the mid-90s, we could look out on PW and see a handful of lights (literally!). To me this means there is no "character" to the place. However, I realize that some people don't mind not seeing any older architecture, so this may not be a factor for you.

There aren't many jobs in PW, so most people who aren't retired commute the short way into Pueblo. There is only one route into town (US 50), so this is about the only road in the area that has heavy traffic for a short time in the mornings and afternoons.

Bottom line: while I had my likes and dislikes about Pueblo itself, I never found anything likeable about Pueblo West at all. Just my opinion -- obviously some people like it a lot.

Old 12-30-2006, 10:49 AM

431 posts, read 2,500,954 times
If you are looking up on Canon City on line. You will not find it as Canyon City. This is a Spanish spelling, should have a ~ over the n. We are at the mouth of the canyon of the Royal Gorge backed up against the Wet Mountains, NF is about 5 miles away and BLM is close too. Prisons are largest employers. Some shopping, enough, but if you want any selection you go to Colorado Spring, Pueblo only 40 miles away. We truly live in a Banana Belt along the Arkansas River. Acreage is available and cheaper than some. There has been an explosion of those huge want to be castle homes being built but many just nice homes too. Tourist town, many travel CC or Pueblo to jobs.

Old 03-30-2007, 09:20 PM

1 posts, read 6,331 times
I am looking to move to Pueblo west because you can get more home for less.

I know it is fairly small and on the plains.

What do U think about Pueblo West? ethnic population? school district? activities for kids?

Can anyone tell me whats its like living there?

Old 04-02-2007, 01:59 AM

643 posts, read 2,166,448 times
I am also wondering about crime. I am not sure if there is a real problem there or compared to many places it isnt as bad. The drug problem would have to be better then where I live now...the gangs and such worry me though. It would be farther to Denver but I think it would be a bit more easy going community then COS??? (Was looking into Manitou but rare to find a house even available it seems)
Any input? I appreciate the help
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or