U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 12:13 PM

155 posts, read 329,368 times

Advertisements

I assure you, I'm listening to everything said (and have been for quite some time).

What I've learned from this forum (and Jazzlover):

1. Have money saved up
2. Be open about towns
3. Ski resort towns are twice the cost (I actually DO NOT want to live near a ski resort. Canon City is my favorite area).
4. Use resources
5. Apply EVERYWHERE
6. Apply for CO certificate NOW.
7. market myself
8. Above all DON'T THROW IN THE TOWEL. If I really want to be there I'm going to have to fight for it, otherwise I don't want it enough.

Anything I'm missing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2011, 12:26 PM

20,315 posts, read 37,820,570 times
You are not missing anything other than our great weather and awesome location.

You've done a great job of doing your due diligence and research. Keep after your goal and you will be fine.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 09-12-2011, 12:34 PM

2,971 posts, read 6,617,799 times
It is possible to rent with pets, we've lived all around the country with 2 dogs and 2 cats without a problem. The key for most landlords is to have responsible tenants, you have all the pieces in place for that so just market yourselves accordingly.

Old 09-12-2011, 01:09 PM

7,756 posts, read 16,461,314 times
It's not just how much you want it, but also wether or not what you want exists where you are looking. Teaching jobs, even competing with well qualified locals, CAN be had. My wife found a teaching job in district 51 ( Grand Junction area ), but that was 5 years ago in a much better economy. A few new teachers were hired again this year for the new school year, at least one of them from out of state. Grand Junction however is far from being a mountain town. The countryside around here is more like Utah than the Colorado mountains that many Colorado wannabees dream about. If you are serious about living in Colorado, keep your mind open to the Grand Junction area, because district 51 is definitely one district where out of state teachers are still getting hired.

Old 09-12-2011, 01:52 PM

1,778 posts, read 3,482,205 times
Your going at it the right way. Finding a job first. Now you mention Canon city, I think you could reasonably live there. I've look at grand homes near the Trinidad area that are quite lower in cost than say Bolder or a ski resort. Looking at Pagosa Springs which has a ski resort and near Durango I think you could find a home.

I will say my daughter is a RN with lots of specialities and has a BS with it, her and her husband want to move to Fort Collins and if they do, she will make about the same as in OKCity but not have the befits she gets at the Hospital she is with now. Her husband is in banking loans so it might be harder for him. I think they'll wait the economy out because they do have a little one to think about. Because everyone wants to move to say Fort Collins which has a college right there, they (Ft.Collins) can pick and choose and get the best who will take the lowest in wage to do the job. I would think that would be a problem all over Colorado. Now, me, all we have to do is sell a ranch and we're free and clear to move where ever we want and not worry about jobs. We will be retired.

Old 09-12-2011, 02:46 PM

I'm definitely taking the Grand Junction area in also. The closer I get to where I want to be, the closer I am to making it.

They may hire teachers, but what about law enforcement (correctional officers, probation officers, anything for now) in the Grand Junction area?

Thanks for telling me about renting with dogs. Around here it is limited. We have 3 very well trained dogs and we also have a kitty, but finding a landlord that will let me rent is tough. Especially since two of them weigh in the 40-50 lb range.

Old 09-12-2011, 02:49 PM

Also, about calling now... Taking a trip up there is going to be tough (before summer, we are already planning a tentative trip this summer for interviews, etc... Obviously if I need to go that way earlier for job purposes I definitely will!)

What schools/areas should I target? Where are my best chances?

I am certified to teach 8-12 ELA and Special Education. By summer I will be certified to teach journalism also (as I am already teaching it in Texas--I have to be certified by next year or the school gets docked).

Last edited by DaynaKH; 09-12-2011 at 02:57 PM.. Reason: Clarity...

Old 09-12-2011, 05:06 PM

2,253 posts, read 5,840,919 times
Wink Missing ingredients

What you are missing, if perchance moving to Cañon City, is that it is not in the mountains, if certainly close to them. Or, for that matter, with as large and varied a state as Colorado is that your experience will be distinctly different from one local to the next.

That said, you seem perhaps more practical and capable than a good many others with dreams of Aspen on a La Junta budget. Actually landing somewhere in this state will begin your credentials as locals to an extent, and the opportunity to better explore it towards the best home and jobs to sustain that.

Only a few days ago I happened to be in the neighborhood of some newer large apartment and condo complexes, well east of Boulder. Quite nice as such things go. But the best view that many of them had was of their neighbors similarly sized postage stamp outdoor areas, and/or the train tracks. Those few actually facing west still have fairly good views of the Flatiron Mountains in the distance. Everyone else would have to step out, as the guys walking their poor dogs were, to see any of this. That is the reality for many, if living near where they would ideally be, and likely at times a view of it in the distance, but otherwise a home the same as one in Cincinnati or somewhere else, only more expensive. If one can factor such a scenario in as the possible price of admission, then all the better.

I know from an acquaintance who teaches in Fort Collins that it is an excellent school district, but as employment not a sure thing for the teachers there, and seemingly less so as time passes. You may end up there or elsewhere along the front range, as where by far the largest market is. Less likely initially to land exactly where you would like to end up, and all the more so as so little notion of what that constitutes.

One could somehow officially find themselves living in the mountains of Colorado, then discover they are not the same, that life in Pagosa Springs not the same as in Evergreen, or Gunnison. Or, for that matter, that in consideration someplace such as Cañon City is quite close enough, thank you. All depends, with some exploration in time in order. Then one will have a better idea of that missing or overlooked, or never imagined.

Old 09-12-2011, 05:49 PM

9,817 posts, read 19,031,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaynaKH View Post
Also, about calling now... Taking a trip up there is going to be tough (before summer, we are already planning a tentative trip this summer for interviews, etc... Obviously if I need to go that way earlier for job purposes I definitely will!)

What schools/areas should I target? Where are my best chances?

I am certified to teach 8-12 ELA and Special Education. By summer I will be certified to teach journalism also (as I am already teaching it in Texas--I have to be certified by next year or the school gets docked).
I would target every school district you can, if you so desire to live west of the I-25 corridor. Like I said a lot of these places are not as populated as one might think, due to seasonal tourist numbers making many towns look more populated than they really are. Gov jobs like teacher and cop are coveted jobs, especially in the economy on the western slope right now and finding both jobs nearby one another is going to be near impossible. Therefore I would spread your net out far and wide. In some place like Salida, I'd reckon it would be nigh impossible to land a teacher and police job nearby.

Also a lot of these jobs get advertised because they have to due to government rules, but the job is already going to a connected local.

Ultimately knowing what I know, who you know is going to be about 50 times more important than any qualifications you have in terms of actually landing the job.

Old 09-12-2011, 06:08 PM

I feel that way. Canon City is close enough.

I actually do not want to live at an elevation so high it doesn't warm up, ever. I want to see the mountains, walk on trails with my dogs, perhaps drive through them, take a day trip to a clear lake and fish, camp for a weekend at a nice park nearby, enjoy the perks and glory of the mountains. But I don't need to be in a ski resort town that gets snow at all seasons of the year, or deal with the high prices of that area.

Wanna know a secret? I don't "ski" very much OR very well.

Oh I can learn! But its the hiking, biking, fishing, and community that draws me, not the resorts. A love of the outdoors and a community of brain-users puts me on cloud 9. The ability to walk out the door and not be scorched by months of 106 and 80% humidity. Plus hills with pine trees so tall I can't see the beautiful hills covering East Texas.

Sadly, those things are rare here in my home state. Meaningful conversation is: "Didja take yer dog out huntin' them hogs? Wanna breed yer mutt ta mine? Bet we'd have some good huntin' dogs right cher!"

Bah! I might lose it if I stay here... Haha!

I love the plateaus and desert area too. Some kind of beauty in it. A bit of photography just for fun, a place to take pictures, and a land where I can breath!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado