U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 06:52 PM

169 posts, read 318,547 times

Advertisements

[quote=DaynaKH;20864522]I find it interesting that someone possibly moving to Colorado causes such a heated debate.

Same here, it sometimes causes me to shake my head. I wish you the best of luck on whatever decision you ultimately make.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2011, 08:15 PM

463 posts, read 944,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaynaKH View Post
$75 K! Lugnutz! That's great! We could totally do that! And acreage means we "could" build, too! (One day...).
Hey Dayna, if you are ambitious enough to build, there is an auction this Saturday (17th Sept) for a subdivision that went bankrupt. Not sure if there is a minimum bid or not but they are 1/2 acre lots close to town (Buena Vista):

28770 Westwinds Pl Buena Vista CO - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - MLS #218536 - Realtor.com®

Also, I saw this ad in The Mountain Mail (Salidas newspaper, www.themountainmail.com):

Salida School District R32J is looking for on-call substitute aides to work with special education students. Interested parties should contact Salida School District at 719-530-5201. EOE

Might be worth a telephone call to see what kind of salary you can expect in rural Chaffee county. Good luck

Old 09-13-2011, 08:20 PM

20,329 posts, read 37,840,000 times
Lugnuts, thank you being part of the solution....

Salida is a gorgeous area, and a commutable 25 miles to the prison at Buena Vista....
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 09-13-2011, 10:45 PM

155 posts, read 329,620 times
Ah... Salida...

We were there this summer. I flipped head over heals for it. It is EXACTLY where I "dream" of being.

Though I have low hopes of being "exactly" in my dreams. It would be amazing if I could score a job for 2012-2013. We can't move until this summer because we want to have that backed-up money to help us survive.

BUT. A phone number and what appears to be a future position gives me hope.

I'll call and see if they have tentative plans for next year.

I also started the obnoxiously long process of getting my Colorado liscence today.

Maybe, just maybe things will flow smoothly.

You helpful humans are amazing. Thank you.

Old 09-14-2011, 12:15 AM

9,817 posts, read 19,039,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Hmmmmm

- Only state with high mountains? No.
- Only state with long, cold or snowy winters? No.
- Only state with a higher than average Cost of Living? No.
- Only state with scenery or other features that make it desirable? No.
- Only state with dirt roads and farm town? No.
- Only state that has a dry climate and water issues? No.
- Only state where jobs are difficult in this economy? No.
- Only state with no ocean front property? No.
- Only state with good-old-boy networks? No.

What is it then that's so different about COLO that several posters have to belabor the point over and over in every thread like some kind of broken record?
I think we have always discussed things on a case by case basis in here when people post threads. Everyone has different backgrounds and experiences and also different things they are searching for.

So yeah, for instance, someone who is living in urban Florida or Texas, and doesn't know squat about Colorado and suddenly wants to move to high mountain Colorado, there are some big differences and factors to point and out consider.

I've been to 47 states, people may see things differently, but every state to me is unique with it's own local culture, challenges, issues, topography and so on.

If it's an issue, use your powers of moderation to combine similar threads. Seems like we often get threads from various people that want similar things. Some people might be enquiring about 2nd homes, some might want to be a ski bum, some might want to live in the mountains and is a total neophyte and so on.

Old 09-14-2011, 09:02 AM

319 posts, read 620,994 times
Not to put too philosophical a spin on it, but life is what you make of it, guys. Some can find their checklist of desired features and still end up discontent or even miserable in their surroundings. Others can take a leap into unknown territory and find unexpected joys and a deep sense of belonging. When all is said and done, people take in the information they are offered, yet it may still come down to a flip of the coin or an inner urging they just can't shake.

When I moved from Boulder to a tiny, remote, ranching community in the middle of nowhere, everyone I knew tried to talk me out of it for a hundred reasons. Yet here I am, feeling truly "home" for the first time in decades and able to buy my own home for a fraction of what I dished out in rent for a very long time. I didn't bring a bankroll or a bucket of loot, but I did visit every month for nearly 9 months to get a good feel for the land, the people, the weather, and the culture. Still, on paper, it didn't appear to be a fit, but here I am nearly three years later, planting bulbs and making friends, and actively engaged in my adopted community. It's all age-appropriate for my particular stage and station in life, and my grown children see a happier, more relaxed Mom.

Every day is not a ride on the bliss train, but truly, who can find that anywhere? Despite what the media try to convince us all, a fully-lived life does not spring from checkllists and spreadsheets and Top 10 Lists of what is good, best, or better. It's a wild adventure that cannot be tamed, but only ridden like churning Rocky Mountain rapids or the unceasing wind.

Thanks for the soapbox, city-data!

Old 09-14-2011, 09:41 AM

2,867 posts, read 7,104,419 times
Quote:
Ah... Salida...

We were there this summer. I flipped head over heals for it. It is EXACTLY where I "dream" of being.

Though I have low hopes of being "exactly" in my dreams. It would be amazing if I could score a job for 2012-2013. We can't move until this summer because we want to have that backed-up money to help us survive.

BUT. A phone number and what appears to be a future position gives me hope.

I'll call and see if they have tentative plans for next year.

I also started the obnoxiously long process of getting my Colorado liscence today.

Maybe, just maybe things will flow smoothly.

You helpful humans are amazing. Thank you.
Do yourself a favor. Get a Magic Jack or Vonage or whatever, and set up a local number, and perhaps get a PO box in Salida. Costs about $50 a year. That will make it look like you already live there and increases your chance of getting a phone call. You can explain the situation after the fact.

That's what I did, and that's how I got a job at Fort Carson while I was still living in Ohio.

Old 09-14-2011, 10:11 AM

155 posts, read 329,620 times
Bovinedivine.

What an amazing post.

Old 09-14-2011, 10:18 AM

7,756 posts, read 16,467,757 times
Lugnuts wrote:
No offense Mike, but if you lived here you wouldn't have to ask....
Personally, I say thank you Mike for calling the bluffs that some people keep posting, trying their darndest to create a myth that Colorado is different than everywhere else. SPECIFICALLY, what is it that makes Colorado so unique? I've lived in many different states and Canadian provinces ( The only state that I have not visited is South Dakota, and the only Canadian province that I havent visited is Newfoundland ) during the course of my 60+ years on this planet, and EVERYTHING I've encountered in Colorado I've also encountered SOMEwhere else, right here in North America. There is nothing new under the relentless Colorado sun! Colorado is a fabulous place to live, but to say that it is unique compared to everywhere else in North America is pure b*llsh*t!

Last edited by CosmicWizard; 09-14-2011 at 10:30 AM..

Old 09-14-2011, 10:24 AM

16,189 posts, read 20,204,475 times
Quote:
Bovinedivine.

What an amazing post.
Plus one! Bovine is right on the $$.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado