Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 10:38 AM

463 posts, read 1,167,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaynaKH View Post

Sadly, those things are rare here in my home state. Meaningful conversation is: "Didja take yer dog out huntin' them hogs? Wanna breed yer mutt ta mine? Bet we'd have some good huntin' dogs right cher!"

You just described my neighbors perfectly. Be careful about idealizing an image of Colorado in your mind that has nothing to do with reality. Some of the most backwards and ignorant hillbillies that I've ever met were from Colorado. It is what it is. There are nice people here too. I think you have less options than you suspect. The job market is really limited. Find a job first and move to your job and be prepared for low wages and a struggle. If you don't expect too much, you won't be disappointed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2011, 11:24 AM

155 posts, read 425,761 times
Lugnuts: I love how you picked out the worst thing of my post! Lol. Yes, ignorance is everywhere, but it tends to congregate in certain areas. I currently live in one of those areas.

It's as much of geography as culture that draws me. I am a native Texan after all, backwoods is something I grew up with. Mountains? Not so much. Not at all, actually.

As a side note, I'm also checking out Wyoming. ;-)

Old 09-13-2011, 11:32 AM

169 posts, read 371,790 times
[quote=DaynaKH;20845582]

And by teaching and law enforcement not making enough money to support ourselves: is that dependent of how much cost of living is? We aren't huge spenders. No kids. We don't expect to live on $100,000 a year! Lol. I figure if kids can do it waiting tables and working odd jobs, a two-person household can make it okay as long as we don't live beyond our means. And that is something we are good at.

Keep this attitude and you won't have any problems. I've gone round and round with certain individuals in this forum who think that every home in Colorado worth living in costs upwards of $500K...simply not true. We moved to Durango from KY and our TOTAL bills are roughly $400 more per month. Our condo is HUGE, plus, I will never again have to mow .
The flexibility you have being DINKS (we are too) cannot be overstated. I am currently debating between two polar opposite-types of small businesses to open and the wife is being very supportive, after all, we moved here to "live the dream". She is an RN (you can reasonably guess her salary) and recently mentioned that if I were to make a whopping $1000/mo. we would have a wonderful standard of living. Cowabunga!!! I guess we'll be living like the Trump's if I can drag down even a median income. The point is not every family needs $800+/mo. worth of car payments nor a $2000/mo. mortgage to live comfortably. We LOVE our lives while spending less than half of that amount.
Finally, as snow sports lovers we moved here for the winters but have been blown away by all there is to do during the summer. We have found our nirvana and you will too. Best wishes.

Old 09-13-2011, 12:18 PM

1,266 posts, read 3,212,473 times
Quote:
Mountains? Not so much. Not at all, actually.

If you are yearning for mountains, how about the eastern side of the Cascades, in either Oregon or Washington? Sunnier and drier than the gloom and rainy weather we on the western side of the mountains live with for the majority of the year. Yes, the employment picture in our area is just as dreary as everywhere else and you would encounter stiff competition from locals -- but you have already indicated you are aware of that fact.

Your "can-do" spirit and determination is impressive! Seriously, check out the discussion on the state forums about such towns as Bend and Klamath Falls (Oregon) and Spokane, Wenatchee, and Kennewick (Washington).

If we're going to be overrun here, it's your kind of people we want. Best of luck to you in whatever you decide.

Old 09-13-2011, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Lugnuts: I love how you picked out the worst thing of my post! Lol. Yes, ignorance is everywhere, but it tends to congregate in certain areas. I currently live in one of those areas.

It's as much of geography as culture that draws me. I am a native Texan after all, backwoods is something I grew up with. Mountains? Not so much. Not at all, actually.

I picked that part of your post because it jumped out at me in two separate ways. First, you described my neighbors perfectly. Second, I had a completely unrealistic starry-eyed idea in my head of what life in Colorado would be like when I moved to the mountains. Like I said, it is what it is. If you are willing to make the sacrifices that it takes to live here, you may be happy. The vast majority of people who move to my town are gone in a year. Only you can decide...

Old 09-13-2011, 12:53 PM

[quote=VenusAllen;20860650]
Quote:

We have found our nirvana and you will too. Best wishes.

How the hell do you know??? Sorry but it is completely irresponsible to transfer your experience on to other people who are in a completely different set of circumstances. Your wife has chosen a career with great employment opportunities. The OP is a teacher and her husband is in law enforcement. Completely different, much more limited opportunities. They are willing to live in a trailer and struggle so they are off to a good start by keeping their expectations reasonable. I'm glad Durango is a good fit for you but it's worth remembering that you are new to Colorado. It will be interesting to see what you think of it in ten years time...

Old 09-13-2011, 01:00 PM

Dayna, Buena Vista may be worth considering. It has a v good school system and a prison (they like to hire law enforcement people). It's small but beautiful and you can buy a newer trailer on 5 acres near town for $75k:

26541 County Road 319 Buena Vista CO - Foreclosure for Sale - MLS #948331 - Realtor.com®

Good luck.

Old 09-13-2011, 01:16 PM

3,296 posts, read 9,650,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecypher5413 View Post
If you are yearning for mountains, how about the eastern side of the Cascades, in either Oregon or Washington? Sunnier and drier than the gloom and rainy weather we on the western side of the mountains live with for the majority of the year. Yes, the employment picture in our area is just as dreary as everywhere else and you would encounter stiff competition from locals -- but you have already indicated you are aware of that fact.

Your "can-do" spirit and determination is impressive! Seriously, check out the discussion on the state forums about such towns as Bend and Klamath Falls (Oregon) and Spokane, Wenatchee, and Kennewick (Washington).

If we're going to be overrun here, it's your kind of people we want. Best of luck to you in whatever you decide.
I'd definitely pick Colorado over anywhere in eastern OR or WA. As a Colorado native, and now a Bend, OR resident, I can tell you I miss Colorado! I also miss working...I'm a elementary education teacher (I worked in Grand Junction before relocating to OR) out of work. The school districts here have not hired any new teachers in the last 2 years. I'm lucky to get sub jobs.

OP, I think you have a great attitude about your move and it sounds like you have planned it out well. Apply far and wide and I bet you'll find something! I also think it's entirely possible for you to find a rental that accepts pets. I've never had a problem finding a place with my 2 labs and cat. If you're willing to pay a large damage deposit, most people are willing to work with you. Good luck!

Old 09-13-2011, 03:02 PM

169 posts, read 371,790 times
[quote=Lugnuts;20861903][quote=VenusAllen;20860650]

"How the hell do you know??? Sorry but it is completely irresponsible to transfer your experience on to other people who are in a completely different set of circumstances."

Are you serious? Geez, Francis, lighten up. I am attempting to encourage them to follow their dreams, whatever they may be. I guess I could remind them of the big 'ol scary world that is ready to consume them but then, we have you for that.

It will be interesting to see what you think of it in ten years time...

Hope we can stick it out that long since the vast majority (your words) leave after a year .

Old 09-13-2011, 03:35 PM

155 posts, read 425,761 times
I find it interesting that someone possibly moving to Colorado causes such a heated debate. When it first crossed my mind that that was an area I wanted to live, I didn't realize there was such controversy. Then again, I can (and will, and do) sacrifice for things I really, truly want. I have wanted to live in Colorado for nearly 14 years. I visit every chance I can and leave with a sick feeling. I have attempted looking at other parts of the country. Nashville, NC, St Louis... To me, none compare with the majesty of the Rockies.

I don't think Wahington would work, and it's taken me 4 years to convince my husband to leave Texas for Colorado. Wyoming is another possibility, but it comes with a whole new set of questions and possibilities (one being better job ops). I've heard Seattle was beatiful (I even dated a guy from Seattle, my brother's FIL is there also). I am unsure of living that far north. I think Wyoming is as cold as I'll be able to stand! Lol!

Thank you to all those who have helped me! I assure you I don't have dreams of it being perfect, just closer to a lifestyle I want.

$75 K! Lugnutz! That's great! We could totally do that! And acreage means we "could" build, too! (One day...).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado