U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 10:49 AM

6 posts, read 24,639 times

Advertisements

My husband and I want to move to a small town west (either north or south) of Denver to be near our son who lives in Denver. Two hours max frm Denver. Out in the sticks would be wonderful. Not having to work (we hope. Coming from Sylvania, Ga - gotta get out of this heat. We are both 62 and have visited out son in Denver for past 10 years. We love Colorado. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2011, 10:57 AM

20,304 posts, read 37,790,850 times
Two hours takes in a LOT of territory, darned near everything on I-25 from Pueblo to Cheyenne, WY.

Actually, Cheyenne ain't bad at all, since IIRC, there's no income tax in that state.

Depends on how often you want to visit Denver, a too-frequent drive will become tedious, and can be really nasty in winter.

East of Denver is flat, short-grass prairie for hundreds of miles. Lots of small, mostly farming towns, boring for some folks.

West of Denver by 20+ miles you get into the mountains with long winters and heavy snows the higher up you get. All those ski resorts up there make real estate horribly pricey.

Best bet is along the Front Range / aka I-25 corridor. There are some small towns that don't get the mountain weather or ritzy mountain prices.

Best now if you tell us your price range to rent or buy and any interests you may have. We do recommend newbies rent for 6-12 months as there is so much to see here that many people need that time to really get a feel for the climate, area and all it has to offer. Your son knows you best, does he have any recommendations? Play around with google maps, realtor.com and for rentals in the region try looking at padmapper.com to see what you can get for your money out here.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 09-13-2011, 11:15 AM

10,869 posts, read 41,139,178 times
Mike's pretty well nailed it ... absent more information about your price range, size of property/house, level of responsibilities you want to have in a property (rural acreage or small house or townhome?),
and so forth, a huge range of possibilities present.

Wyoming has no personal income tax, and a very low level of overall taxation for retirees. That said, I wouldn't advise Cheyenne as a place for a nice commute to Denver for much of the year ... I do it on a regular basis for business, and there's a lot of times it's less than a pleasure to make the trip or return.

Old 09-13-2011, 11:44 AM

Thanks so much for this great info. We knew that the East was out. Got to have trees around me. The Front Range sounds great. Yes, two hours away does give us a wide range to explore. Our son has lived in Denver the entire time he has been there but taken us all over the beautiful state from top to bottom. We are just getting serious about a move because he is in the "thinking stage" of getting engaged. Thanks again so much.

Old 09-13-2011, 12:38 PM

399 posts, read 666,977 times
So you're looking for a home in an area that will compliment both the distance to your son and your age range of you and your husband? If that's the case, where is your son going to live or does live?

Old 09-13-2011, 12:40 PM

Sounds like I need to look southwest of Denver - more natural and less populated. Sounds great. Still looking for small town USA - preferrably 10 to 30 minutes from a more populated town with shopping conveniences.

Old 09-13-2011, 12:41 PM

He is in Denver (northwest). Do't want to be up under him - a driving distance of 1 to 2 hours will be great for weekend visits.

Old 09-13-2011, 12:46 PM

399 posts, read 666,977 times
Southwest of Denver would mean a lot of bumpy roads and busy intersections. The last time I was down there, a couple of months ago, it seemed like the town areas from Denver moved over. Are you looking for more of a rural or a suburban living area?

Old 09-13-2011, 01:53 PM

Rural

Old 09-13-2011, 02:04 PM

167 posts, read 394,437 times
I lived in Firestone briefly for about four months, it's about an hour north of Denver if I'm recalling that right. Very rural, small shopping. The closest mall was in Longmont I believe. This was also about six years ago so the area could have built up more then I remember. It was nice but the roommate situation was not. (That and I am allergic to snow :P lol )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or