Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 04:29 PM

403 posts, read 1,325,207 times

Advertisements

I do not regret moving to Colorado at all. My only regret will be if we have to leave for some reason. Things are very different here than they are in the Northeast, but mostly in a good way.

If you want more trees, just move west of Denver. We live in Bailey and there are no lack of trees here! My back yard is the forest, which is how we like it. It is technically less green here than the Northeast, but at least we have the pine trees so it stays green all winter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2008, 04:45 PM

1,920 posts, read 2,779,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleddog905 View Post
I do not regret moving to Colorado at all. My only regret will be if we have to leave for some reason. Things are very different here than they are in the Northeast, but mostly in a good way.

If you want more trees, just move west of Denver. We live in Bailey and there are no lack of trees here! My back yard is the forest, which is how we like it. It is technically less green here than the Northeast, but at least we have the pine trees so it stays green all winter.
until the pine beetle kills them

Old 05-08-2008, 08:46 PM

2,221 posts, read 5,289,496 times
"Do you regret your move to CO?"

Why no.

Oh crap, I haven't moved yet.

Never mind...

Old 05-09-2008, 12:36 PM

719 posts, read 2,617,851 times
Growing weary of all these nebulous posts too, Bob?

Old 05-13-2008, 07:29 PM

4 posts, read 14,352 times
Default Not a good move for me....

I've lived in 54 different houses in my life.... so I'm no newcomer to moving around. I've lived from WA to FL, NM to CT, Panama to Germany, and dozens of points in between. Every place has its attractions, but some places have too many drawbacks to compensate for it's pluses. CO is one of them.

My accepting a (bad) job here in CO was THE worst decision of my life. Worse than marrying my ex, even. If the job was the only bad thing here, I could easily deal with that...it's all the other negatives of CO that I can't stand. (cost, attitudes)

I know I don't belong here, and I'll eventually leave, but not soon enough.

Old 05-13-2008, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xarchy View Post
I've lived in 54 different houses in my life.... so I'm no newcomer to moving around. I've lived from WA to FL, NM to CT, Panama to Germany, and dozens of points in between. Every place has its attractions, but some places have too many drawbacks to compensate for it's pluses. CO is one of them.

My accepting a (bad) job here in CO was THE worst decision of my life. Worse than marrying my ex, even. If the job was the only bad thing here, I could easily deal with that...it's all the other negatives of CO that I can't stand. (cost, attitudes)

I know I don't belong here, and I'll eventually leave, but not soon enough.
don't leave us hanging, what did you find in your adventures in Colorado that sucked so bad?

Old 05-13-2008, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockeye View Post
Growing weary of all these nebulous posts too, Bob?
Thank you for the new word, I have used it 3 times over the weekend. No one know what the hell I am talking about.....and I love it. (nebulous)

Old 05-14-2008, 09:28 PM

1,082 posts, read 4,717,391 times
I agree with Jazzlover about the water and development (that's everywhere though) and with Nebulous about the overall quality/culture here. I 'd never have picked a place with mountains and came here and stayed here for family only. Easy to say pick up and move but the reality is some of us actually work for a living and not all jobs are easily changed between locations as many other posters have pointed out. Colorado prefers to hire outsiders for some strange reason, more than other places. They think it means they are getting something special. My nickname for the state is the Carpetbagger state.

Old 05-15-2008, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esya View Post
I agree with Jazzlover about the water and development (that's everywhere though) and with Nebulous about the overall quality/culture here. I 'd never have picked a place with mountains and came here and stayed here for family only. Easy to say pick up and move but the reality is some of us actually work for a living and not all jobs are easily changed between locations as many other posters have pointed out. Colorado prefers to hire outsiders for some strange reason, more than other places. They think it means they are getting something special. My nickname for the state is the Carpetbagger state.
Phoenix area might also get that distinction, as I have found ABSOLUTELY no one that was actually from here originally. Colorado is similar, but not as bad. A mix of natives and out of state folks. Washington, my former home of 11 years was much oppisite, almost everybody was from there. Those that moved there, quickly moved away because they could not handle the rain and clouds. Be interesting to do a study on which states have the most natives.

Old 05-15-2008, 08:17 AM

2,221 posts, read 5,289,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esya View Post
This runs kind of at odds with a bunch of other postings by the Native Mountain Mafia that the Good 'ole Boy (GOB) system is alive and well, and forget getting a job in CO if you ain't from here.

Honestly, I don't think "Colorado" has a hiring preference, other than people that have the right education, training and/or experience to do the job in question. Now it may be possible that the GOB network is protecting its pool of local jobs such as waiters, truck drivers, and wheelbarrow operators. That makes sense, given the number of unemployed realtors and mortgage brokers out looking for work...although I'm not sure I could train a mortgage broker to actually operate a wheelbarrow... /snark

I started as a college student contemplating moving to Colorado and becoming a ski bum (usually during periods of elevated levels of testosterone and/or blood alcohol), and then was swayed by the wretched curse I was born with of actually being able to undertake advanced mathematical thought, like imagining what a notional ski-bum budget might look like. So I worked like Santa's little elf elsewhere for three decades and saved up to become something much more noble...a retired Colorado ski bum. No GOB network endorsement or mortgage broker assistance required.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado