U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 02:57 PM

371 posts, read 1,141,640 times

Advertisements

.gif: what didn't you like about it?

Anyway, I would be coming from New York so issues like traffic and cold won't be new to me. And we have young kids and are done with the club scene - I'm more into the outdoorsy stuff or just knitting near the fireplace (but I did the club scene in my day ... in New York City, which is one of the top places to be when you're doing that 20-something thang!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2007, 03:36 PM

791 posts, read 1,788,723 times
What's the point of clubbing and nightlife if you are shy and unattractive?

Old 08-22-2007, 03:49 PM

1 posts, read 2,286 times
Honestly, I really enjoy living in Colorado and don't regret it, although it took me quite a while to get used to it. I grew up in a town in Southern New Jersey, which is only 30 minutes from Philadelphia, where the traffic is crazy, the drivers are beyond aggressive, people are loud and rude, prices are sky high and everyone seems to be on fast-forward. A few years ago I made a decision to move to Southern California just to see what life was like there and get away from the cold winters and humid summers..... I'm still recovering from the shock. Met and married my husband there, who happens to be from Philadelphia - go figure - and his job transfered him here to Colorado. What a difference! Life is much slower, the traffic isn't that bad although people who are from here beg to differ, the air, ahhhh the clean fresh air is wonderful. For the most part people are friendly but there are always that few who are rude and don't like people from other places moving to their state, but you can find that anywhere. Compared to where I'm from as well as California the housing prices are ideal. Car insurance is affordable... I paid 3 times the amount in Jersey. The scenery is breathtaking but I have to admit I do miss the ocean and some of the food that I can't seem to find out here. I do miss the Fall season back East because of all the brilliant colors but all in all Colorado has been a positive experience. I'm glad I stepped out of my comfort zone to experience life in other places.

Old 08-23-2007, 10:25 AM
tao

720 posts, read 2,918,078 times
I don't regret it one bit. It's the best choice I ever made.

Old 08-23-2007, 12:48 PM

226 posts, read 1,111,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minier View Post
.gif: what didn't you like about it?
well, i live in one of the denver suburbs, so i'm really just speaking of where i live... not necessarily all of colorado. if i lived somewhere else in colorado, i might enjoy it a little more.

what i don't like is the winter cold, the dryness, the desolation, the sprawl, the cookie-cutter neighborhoods with houses all crammed together, no large bodies of water, lack of culture, lack of diversity, the brown landscape and big sky. there are lots of nice places to go and things to do nearby... like hiking in the foothills or going mountain biking, or whatever. unfortunately, 90% of my time is spent near my home or near work, and it's just a very depressing area.

here is a good example of what i'm talking about. it's just miles and miles of brownish-yellow desolation.
http://www.sprawlaction.org/images/J..._ranch-txt.jpg
http://oldhome.udfcd.org/fhn2000/images/Rock_Creek_Ranch.jpg (broken link)

Old 08-23-2007, 01:00 PM

7,756 posts, read 16,467,757 times
That B-I-G blue sky with the puffy white clouds is one of the natural features of Colorado that I most enjoy. Awareness of the sky is much more a part of my life in Colorado than it was on the east coast.

blessings....Franco

Old 08-23-2007, 05:58 PM

791 posts, read 1,788,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .gif View Post
well, i live in one of the denver suburbs, so i'm really just speaking of where i live... not necessarily all of colorado. if i lived somewhere else in colorado, i might enjoy it a little more.

what i don't like is the winter cold, the dryness, the desolation, the sprawl, the cookie-cutter neighborhoods with houses all crammed together, no large bodies of water, lack of culture, lack of diversity, the brown landscape and big sky. there are lots of nice places to go and things to do nearby... like hiking in the foothills or going mountain biking, or whatever. unfortunately, 90% of my time is spent near my home or near work, and it's just a very depressing area.

here is a good example of what i'm talking about. it's just miles and miles of brownish-yellow desolation.
.gif, what areas of the country did you come from? and which suburb neighborhood in denver do you live in? is the suburban neighborhood in the southeast, northwest, east,......? Those mountains look kind of far away. But the photos still don't look too bad to me. Kind of serene looking actually.

what kind of culture is lacking there?

Old 08-23-2007, 06:09 PM

615 posts, read 2,723,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .gif View Post
Take those same pictures right now and it would be far greener. The first part of summer was pretty dry. Not so much the last few weeks. Also, CO is a semi-arid state. It is not reasonable to expect that it will always be lush and green. This is not the North East or the North West.

If you are not happy where you are, then maybe it is time to move somewhere else.

Old 08-23-2007, 08:52 PM

85 posts, read 436,982 times
Default to gif

I bet you that I could post some pictures from here in so cal that would put those to shame. Let's see, miles and miles of highways with no landscape whatsoever on each side, just house after house most of which are quite old and not too well kept. But we do have that diversity you're looking for (was that too sarcastic)

Old 08-24-2007, 12:45 AM

220 posts, read 701,597 times
Alright people, here's my 2 cents:

Sprawl- it's called a neighborhood;

Brown- definitely an accurate depiction at this time of year, but this is the west and a desert climate. It's to be expected, but if you're from the East, is kind of shocking.

The big sky- amazing! You can see rain falling in small pockets, terrific sunsets, amazing lightning storms and so-on. The blue sky and sun just about every day.... PRICELESS. Go back to Philly or Long Island for a while to experience the Gray and remind yourself of what was. Not to mention the psycho drivers. Not-for-nothing, I was a NY'er for my entire life and had no idea how crazy it was. After being here for 6 months and going back, I felt like it was always the running of the bulls and saw more middle fingers than I cared to with all lanes around me open. Somehow, you're supposed to get the hell out of the way when they(whoever they are) are coming. It says so right on their license plate!! Sorry to stray here, but the NY temper did not go away.

Culture is a fancy word for "we're better than you". Culture is unique to the area and if the area is dirt poor, you're going to experience dirt poor. If the area is rich, you're going to experience nice green lawns and people with college educations who lie politely with more syllables. Seek out what you are looking for and you will find it. If you want culture, move to NYC, pay $3800 per month for a 900 square foot apartment and take a cab to Broadway and a supper club. There is a price for such culture and it's not just measured in dollars.

Diversity? Drive up to Ward and experience Diversity. Drive to Rand and see three houses, a gas station and a liquor store. Then drive to downtown Denver and experience the metro area. While you're at it, hit commerce city and look for how diversity has treated those at the bottom of the socio-economic ladder. If diversity is measured in color of skin, I'd ask what standard is being applied. While this place has a pretty high percentage of whites, it has everything else too and they mix it up pretty well. I've walked into purely Latino restaurants and no one batted an eye while I'm the only one speaking english! That's a nice thing.

Regrets: None. Miss some things about a place I called home forever -especially my dear friends- of course. Who wouldn't?

If your current situation is gloomy, pick up the phone, make some arrangements and move. It's that simple. Work will still be there, but you'll be someplace that makes you happy. To anyone considering moving here from a large city, I'd say if you want your lifespan to increase, definitely do it, but make certain that you are ok with the decrease in population and the differences in terrain. The people will likely be nicer than you're used to, so don't worry about that. Just don't move to a neighborhood that is far below your current socio-economic level or you will be distraught dealing with those who aren't of the same mindset as you. In short- do your homework and be an informed consumer. And if it doesn't work out take another swing!

You are only on this planet wearing this skin for one life time- make it count!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or