Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2007, 01:01 PM

371 posts, read 1,361,815 times

Advertisements

Why or why not?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2007, 02:53 PM

17,986 posts, read 27,444,769 times
Why would you regret a move anywhere. My brother once told me, "There's no education like travel." Where ever he's at, that's the place to be! He's cool wherever he's at. But as a whole, he can't be far from the ocean too long.

When we were living in the San Fernando Valley when I was a kid, he'd go back to see his last name donor in Lamar, Colorado. Then he'd come back home to visit us and he was off to Catalina Island to buy his first pad and work his first steady job as a butcher. Then he turned 16. You could say he grew up kind of fast. He'd stay in the Valley while we moved off to Southern Colorado. He'd visit us from time to time and finally moved to Denver in the early 80's. When he got burnt on that he joined the Peace Corps and spent the next 5 years in Jamaica. He came back to Colorado and stayed until his hood froze shut one cold winter morning. He got pissed and moved to Florida where he resides now.

Move around, see the world. You can always return to where you've been, but you might as well plant a few seeds along the way. Wow! Aren't I a poet?

Old 08-18-2007, 05:52 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,397,079 times
Sometimes, yes.

Good things can be said to able to grow up and die, in the same area. Your total experience can be totally tied to your environment, you age the buildings age and you can see it; you can visit your old schools; you can go under the same tree you had your first kiss. You can visit local sites that your father brought you as a kid. You will grow up with people from an early age and experience them your whole lives. If your are fortunate if all your relatives live in the area, there is continuity that you can feel from one generation to the next.

Yes, when I moved from the area that I was raised there was a loss. There are values to seeing, living in other places. It is nice that we all have a choice. There are gains and benefits to both paths of live.

Old 08-18-2007, 09:10 PM

1,225 posts, read 4,920,312 times
We moved out of the San Diego area 3 years ago and have no regrets. We still visit because our older kids still live in SoCal. Everytime we visit we become more convinced our move was a good one. We don't hate San Diego. It's a beautiful area with argueably the best climate in the world.
But weather here is not all bad and the scenery is amazing. We were lucky in that we found a great house in a great neighborhood in a great school district. Great, great, great...the quality of our lives have definitely improved.
Good luck

Old 08-19-2007, 08:59 AM

371 posts, read 1,361,815 times
McGowDog: Poetic, indeed! Thanks for the wisdom - I will take it to heart.

livecontent: I know what you mean. For me, my parents moved us as kids and so I've been "homeless" in the way you speak of for a long, long time. There are a few places where I can return to "see the past" but none that is quite "home". I'm sure there's something nice about having that. There's also something freeing about not having that.

Vfrpilot: No regrets sounds great! Where in CO are you?

Old 08-19-2007, 09:20 AM

1,225 posts, read 4,920,312 times
Quote:
Vfrpilot: No regrets sounds great! Where in CO are you?
We're in Monument. Kind of a suburb just north of Colorado Springs, 45 minutes south of Denver. Monument is higher than the rest of the Front Range and so we usually get the worst of the winter weather. It's usually cooler in the summer though, and we have more trees.

Old 08-19-2007, 04:19 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,463,282 times
I can't say that I regret my many years in Colorado. What I miss--and what I have posted about often--is that so much of way Colorado was in my youth has been wantonly destroyed by greed, stupid growth, and the homogenization of America. All of the trophy houses, water diversions, fancy landscaping, sprawl, and trendy architecture that has been lavished in Colorado over the last half century can never replace the natural heritage of the state that has been sacrificed to permit the proliferation of that stuff. Colorado is one of those places where we stupid humans can do very little to improve on what nature created. I wish that we would quit trying.

Old 08-19-2007, 04:40 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
It took a long time to get used to Colorado with its bizarre weather patterns, different culture, etc, but now I love it! We moved here from central Illinois; I grew up in W. Pennsylvania.

Old 08-19-2007, 05:07 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
I can't say that I regret my many years in Colorado. What I miss--and what I have posted about often--is that so much of way Colorado was in my youth has been wantonly destroyed by greed, stupid growth, and the homogenization of America. All of the trophy houses, water diversions, fancy landscaping, sprawl, and trendy architecture that has been lavished in Colorado over the last half century can never replace the natural heritage of the state that has been sacrificed to permit the proliferation of that stuff. Colorado is one of those places where we stupid humans can do very little to improve on what nature created. I wish that we would quit trying.
Whenever I fly in an airplane the one thing I notice is that there is so much undeveloped land - especially in the western 1/3 of the US. Much of middle America is farms.

I think I remember hearing a statistic: If Manhattan had the population density of Alaska, there would be 16 people living there.

A quote I found to be interesting: "There's no shortage of water in Colorado, just a shortage of pipes."
William Mulholland designed a gorgeous system of aqueducts, siphons, and pumping plants to move water from the Owens Valley to the parched Southern California. Can this be done on the Front Range? (I realize there are a lot of PO'd people in the Owens Valley who don't dig on their water being used to fill swimming pools and irrigating flower beds in the hills above LA.)

I also recall seeing signs near Buena Vista (on the way from the Springs up to Ski Cooper) that read something about "Don't steal our water". Not sure what that was about hydrologically.

Last edited by Charles; 08-19-2007 at 05:18 PM..

Old 08-19-2007, 05:26 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times
PLEASE do not create an LA here by diverting water like they did in California! If there isn't enough water to support people, maybe people shouldn't live there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado