U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2007, 11:00 PM

17 posts, read 88,359 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAgeRedneck View Post
rmm64....30 years in one place ( any place ) is a long time. It's usually a good thing to broaden ones horizons and experience life from a new location. I hope your new place, wherever it may be is a place that enlivens you and refreshes you, and supports the life you desire to live.

blessings...Franco
Thanks Franco. Technically, It's been 30 years off an on. I got away once for 10 years, first to Denver (1) then to the military (9), but the curse of the valley sucked me back. I had been back in GJ this last time since '92, so yea, it was definately time for a change. Hopefully the curse won't get me again (it should help that I'm leaving an ex there this time, which was 99% of the reason for going back in the first place.)

Got a new job in Carson City, NV and so far I have to say I'm loving it. Climate is about the same, population similar, and an added bonus of big-city amenities are a short 30 minute drive away in Reno, and Lake Tahoe is an even shorter drive. Economy is here what it was in GJ 10+ years ago, but with 2007 level wages (at least in my field), so it's nice to have renewed hope of a future.

GJ was a nice place once upon a time, just too many temporary transplants moving in now messing it up for those who were there the last time that happened. I was there back in '82 on Black Sunday and remember all too well how that turned out, which is why I left then. Been there, did that, not doing it again. I got out early this time around. For your sake, and for all the friends I know there, I hope they don't append a color to a new day of the week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2007, 01:53 PM

7,754 posts, read 16,450,212 times
rmm64....Reno-Carson City was on my hot list at one time, so I am familiar with the area. My daughter obtained a masters degree at the Univ of Nevada in Reno. I visited the area 3 or 4 times between 2003 and 2005. In 2006 when we made our move from Virginia Beach, real estate seemed waaay overpriced in the area so we decided against it. Reno growth was going bonkers in 2005. Is it still growing rapidly? Carson City seemed a bit too laid back for me at the time. I did like the prospect of having a place like Lake Tahoe so close by. Nothing like it in Colorado or in most other parts of the world for that matter. The lake is an incredible natural gem! You're in a great area. I'm happy to be in Grand Junction for the time being.

blessings...Franco

Old 12-27-2007, 03:20 PM

791 posts, read 2,643,029 times
I have been told that the weather is very similar to Reno NV which is where I currently live. I'm beginning to think that GJ may just be a little too isolated for my family. And yes in '05 the Reno area was out of sight price wise, but prices have come down and the area is still growing. I have a love/ hate relationship with the town - LOL

Old 12-28-2007, 11:15 AM

7,754 posts, read 16,450,212 times
redwhiteblue...I can relate to your love-hate relationship with Reno.

I really had a favorable impression of Reno flying into the city in 2005. I tremendously enjoyed my first day there. Next day we rented a vacation home with 2 other families in Incline Village, where we spent a fabulous week just hanging out at Lake Tahoe. It was a depressing expereince for me to return to Reno. What a letdown. I didn't like Reno at all.

This past summer, I was concerned that I would experience a big letdown returning to Grand Junction after a week in Crested Butte, but surpisingly, I was actually glad to be back in Grand Junction, even though the temp was about 100 degrees. The difference could be that I actually live in Grand Junction whereas I was coming back to Reno for a few days until my flight departed for the east coast where I lived at that time. Reno is in a nice location, but the city itself ( like Grand Junction ) is nothing special. As they say in real estate, only 3 things really matter: Location...Location....Location! Both cities are in great locations that provide easy access to spectacular places.

blessings....Franco

Old 01-13-2008, 12:59 PM

1 posts, read 3,060 times
Is there a problem with crimes against women there? I noticed on several reports that GJ has twice the number of rapes per capita nationally and on another report it shows a increase of rapes from 9 in 2003 to over 80 in 2006! Is this accurate or some mistake?

Old 01-21-2008, 02:01 PM

4 posts, read 12,239 times
Smile Grand Junction Apartments

Hello- My boyfriend and I are moving to Grand Junction in June. We would like a nice apartment in a nice part of town, possibly the Redlands. Are there any we should check out first? Thanks!

Old 01-21-2008, 04:51 PM

3,296 posts, read 8,197,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheridantaylor View Post
Hello- My boyfriend and I are moving to Grand Junction in June. We would like a nice apartment in a nice part of town, possibly the Redlands. Are there any we should check out first? Thanks!
I don't know of many apartments in the Redlands. You could find a condo or townhome, but apartments are pretty much limited to the city or eastern part of town (Clifton). You probably won't be happy in that area!

Old 01-21-2008, 06:42 PM

4 posts, read 12,239 times
Default Thanks

Thanks for your help! where would be a nice place to live. I know we don't want Clifton- we have friends who live there. Do you know of any nice apartment complexes?

Old 01-21-2008, 08:46 PM

3,296 posts, read 8,197,447 times
I don't know much about apartment housing here. When I was renting, I looked at a few and decided a house was worth the money. My husband lived in some crummy apartments before I was able to move here with him. I would generally avoid anything near Mesa State. We did look at one place close to the mall (don't remember the name) that was very nice. It would be close to 25 Rd. and Patterson. I believe there are others in that general area that would be nice also. I would look at anything on the north and west sides of town. Sorry I couldn't be more help, but you could probably do an apartment search based on streets.

Old 01-29-2008, 12:30 PM

3 posts, read 6,315 times
Hi

I've read a couple of your posts. My husband is applying for a job in Grand Junction. If the crime is high there, are there neighboring towns that you would suggest? If so, can you commute to work? And why would you suggest them.

Also is it colder there than, say, Longmont?

Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado