U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 04:09 PM

7,756 posts, read 16,507,704 times

Advertisements

According to Carl Calleman, the end date of the Mayan calendar is 10-28-2011. That's just 24 days from now. Perhaps the long awaited crash will ocurr then, though he and/or the Mayan Calendar is not prediciting anything like that.

Old 10-04-2011, 04:26 PM

2,541 posts, read 5,841,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
According to Carl Calleman, the end date of the Mayan calendar is 10-28-2011. That's just 24 days from now. Perhaps the long awaited crash will ocurr then, though he and/or the Mayan Calendar is not prediciting anything like that.
If we think like Jazz, perhaps we should all follow the Jim Jones suicide route.

Me? I'll take my chances that the music will play on.

Old 10-05-2011, 04:21 AM

48 posts, read 121,213 times
Default Re: Durango Econmic Troubles Ahead

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
So, underneath all the pretty glitter and fancy storefronts on Main Ave. there is an undercurrent of financial destruction constantly underway. That is hardly characteristic of a place that most people would consider "able to support itself." The patina of a booming economy in Durango is starting to wear thin in the recreational/tourism decline--that being especially tortured in the middle class tourism market upon which Durango remains very reliant.

About one more serious shock to the national economy, which we appear very likely to get pretty soon, and we may get a full-scale implosion of the tourism economy in places like Durango. I do know some people working in that economy in southwestern Colorado who are quietly preparing strategies of how they are going to possibly survive that business/economic downturn. The real bright spot in the southwest Colorado economy is the natural gas extraction industry--which, of course, is highly unpopular with the granola-cruncher environmentalist crowd that has flocked to Durango in the last few years. Much of the economic benefit of that industry, however, has inured to the Farmington/Aztec area in New Mexico, where most of the employment for the local natural gas extraction industry is located. As one friend of mine in La Plata County says, "La Plata County gets the wells, and Farmington gets all the jobs."
Great observations. Yes, tourism and second homes are a significant part of the economy. However, this will decrease as prices rise due to the La Plata County Growth Management Act. This act will cause a housing bubble. Then these granola types are against natural gas and that is too bad since it's cleaner than oil and coal, and peak oil is in 5 to 10 years. However, Durango has uranium contaimination and that is a serious problem requiring more attention.

From reading these forums and from the knowledge I have before joining, I don't know of any small tourist towns that are fiscally sound except perhaps Burlington, VT. Your sister city of Bend has serious problems. I have been through Durango and it's a nice town but I don't see how I could make a living there and buy a house, unless I was a Geologist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
Thanks for the info I will mark the calendar. I would take the Mayan date here very seriously. The stock market is crashing and towns such as Durango, Bend, Boulder, and Eugene will really suffer, since many of their outdoor sports residents do not work, and depend on relatives or social assistance while riding mountain bikes and river rafting.

Whereas other cities actually support local industries that invent bike and sporting goods products, with people employed in these companies or taking classes. And other places especially in the midwest are agricultural with small organic farms. Durango is too high in elevation for farming or testing bike equipment year round. If they increase natural gas, and get rid of the county growth mgmt act, they will be OK and the trust funders may not have to go home after 10-28-2011.

Someone else wrote:

" Before you fall in love, look around at Craigslist and see the kinds of hovels available for rent. Converted garages, miserable shacks, and total slums, for close to $1000/month. Huge homes and ranches on the auction block, right and left, because the already shaky economy is totally collapsing. That town can't support itself."

Then the OP could try sister cities of Ashland, Oregon or Bend, Oregon for $500 to $700 a month with stricter codes and housing standards although unemployment is higher, especially in Bend. Both towns claim that they want new entrepreneurs in town.

Also, does one need to be LDS (Mormon), and/or, be part of the locals who control the town, to rent or get a job in La Plata County and Durango, given its location in the 4 corners?

That might be of interest to the poster depending on their religious affiliation. I have no idea about the other places I mentioned.

It's interesting that Santa Fe, NM, 4 hours from Durango, has low unemployment, with access to jobs in Albuquerque. Is that a better choice in the 4 corners?

Last edited by B97701; 10-05-2011 at 04:39 AM..

Old 10-05-2011, 09:05 AM

14,131 posts, read 26,365,743 times
I believe the Mayans ended their calendar on 12-12-12 because that was as high as they could or cared to count. They correctly surmised their civilation wouldn't be around after then anyway. However, they had no expectation that the world would end then. It was akin to our Y2K problem. I'm sure there were some who thought the world would end then too.

I do have to laugh when people deem a beautiful place as economically unsustainable. Think about Maui. What the heck do you think they have there other than great scenery, golf courses, nice beaches and the ocean that justifies all those multi-million dollar properties? None of the locals are getting rich or even making a living off of pineapples or sugar cane. They make it off the tourists and the services they provide to the rich second homeowners and retirees.

Old 10-05-2011, 09:10 AM

8,317 posts, read 25,198,423 times
To answer a couple of things posed in the above posts. Durango, like much of southwestern Colorado, is a pretty "secular" town, thanks to its mining heritage. To be sure, there is a percentage of LDS church members in the area, but it is by no means a dominant percentage of the population like it is just a few miles west in Utah and parts of northern Arizona. Durango still does have a faction of "old guard" business people from old-line families going back several generations, but they (unfortunately, in many ways) no longer really control the affairs of the town. In my long experience with Durango, it really started to be an ugly place socially when that old guard lost control of things. Prior to that, Durango was a typical western Colorado town with solid friendly small-town values for the most part and a relatively stable, if not booming local economy. That all changed with the influx of outsiders, many with a hell of a lot more dollars than sense.

As for Santa Fe, it is everything bad about Durango, but ten times worse. "Aspen built out of adobe," as a friend of mine who lived for decades in Santa Fe when he worked for the State of New Mexico said. He relocated from Santa Fe as soon as he retired--vowing never to live there again.

As for suzco's comment comparing me to Jim Jones--what a cheap shot. You know how screwed up people are getting when someone posts concerning some hard realities that we Americans are going to face up to pretty soon is likened to a homicidal/suicidal maniac. There's a hell of a big difference between preparing oneself emotionally and financially for some real austere times or being a coward and just committing suicide when things get a little bit tough. There very well may some people--maybe a lot of people--who don't survive the rough times ahead, but I don't intend to be one of them if I can help it.

Old 10-05-2011, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
To answer a couple of things posed in the above posts. Durango, like much of southwestern Colorado, is a pretty "secular" town, thanks to its mining heritage. To be sure, there is a percentage of LDS church members in the area, but it is by no means a dominant percentage of the population like it is just a few miles west in Utah and parts of northern Arizona.
Not many LDS settled in that area in the early days. It was pretty much all Midwestern Protestants (lots of Methodists) with a sprinkling of more indigenous Catholics. A few, including some Jack Mormons (like one Robert Leroy Parker aka Butch Cassidy) came over from Utah to work in the cattle operations. It was kind of a rowdy place for Mormons and I don't think the locals were too big on polygamy.

Old 10-05-2011, 09:21 AM

20,392 posts, read 37,963,986 times
Jazz, you've been blowing that "end is near" crap ala Kunstler for years, mostly trying to scare people away from Colorado and especially from Durango, so please don't give us that cheesy stuff that you care about others as you despise anyone who moves to COLO.

And now we have a new name on here, B97701, telling us that all those people who worked, saved, and invested all their lives and retired on their own money to some place nice are somehow living in Durango on "social assistance." Excuse the hell of me, and the hundreds of thousands of others like me, for having done all the right things for forty frigging years and moving somewhere nice. Go eat your own damned sour grapes, don't try to feed that moldy garbage to the rest of us.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 10-05-2011, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B97701 View Post
I have been through Durango and it's a nice town but I don't see how I could make a living there and buy a house, unless I was a Geologist.
or had a virtual job like many folks (me included) who work from home for mega-corps located somewhere else and VPN in. I'm sure there are a few around there and more every day.

Old 10-05-2011, 09:38 AM

20,392 posts, read 37,963,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
or had a virtual job like many folks (me included) who work from home for mega-corps located somewhere else.
How's that "social assistance" thingy working out fer ya?
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 10-05-2011, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
How's that "social assistance" thingy working out fer ya?
Is govt. contract work considered that? In the interest of full disclosure though, I'm taking my "social assistance" from somewhere else. However, I could live there happily (and more inexpensively) and may eventually do that. I'll sneak in though when Jazz isn't lookin'.

Last edited by CAVA1990; 10-05-2011 at 09:51 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado