U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 07:41 PM

18,886 posts, read 8,867,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post

I know very well what old cooks and chefs have done and still do. Unfortunately, there is no requirements in most municipalities for licensing and training food preparers. Here in Denver, there is a very minimum required food safety course for a food handlers permit but not in any other municipality. I think it should be mandatory in all States and all Cities.

Livecontent
I agree. I'm not sure the requirements, but from what my friend who owned restaurants back in Virginia said, there someone with training must be on staff at all hours the restaurant is open. now, whether they know their stuff, I have no idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2011, 10:53 PM

13,633 posts, read 21,489,347 times
Kids eat dirt and bugs and stuff.

It's a wonder any of them survive.

Old 09-22-2011, 10:15 AM

7,754 posts, read 16,450,212 times
McGowdog wrote:
Kids eat dirt and bugs and stuff.

It's a wonder any of them survive.
I think that's WHY they stay alive. Eating dirt and bugs gives them a chance to acquire immunity...NATURALLY, that is until they start getting the various mandated vaccinations. At that time, their natural immunity is comprised and they begin to believe in pharmaceuticals as the magic bullet. They unwittingly become victims of the modern health care fraud.

Old 09-22-2011, 10:49 AM

13,633 posts, read 21,489,347 times
I hear that.

I heard more bad news this morning on the Jensen farm and more deaths possibly attributed to the area.

I just hope they find the source of the problem or the process and get it fixed.

We can someday talk about sources of fertilizers, selenium counts, the EPA restrictions, and New York City sludge.

May be more to the story than meets the eye.

Old 09-24-2011, 01:47 PM

9,274 posts, read 5,784,185 times
The media sucks. I'm still buying my fruit and vegetables from the stands on highway 50 outside of Pueblo. Holly is almost in Kansas for pete's sake. My only regret is that it takes me a couple of hours or more to get over there. As a part time resident, I was thrilled to discover the area (especially since I don't find the produce at the local grocery stores to be very fresh).

Old 09-24-2011, 03:06 PM

5,091 posts, read 13,165,370 times
I have been eating so many cantaloupes that I starting to grow vines. Finally, I cannot really eat much more, even though my heart is in the support. So, I decided to make it into Baked Cantaloupe Crisp.

WASH WITH BRUSH AND SOAP, RINSE WELL. Cut up the cantaloupe. It does not matter the cut or slices but thinner slices are better. Mix some of the cantaloupe with sugar, brown and white and a little salt Pack in buttered baking dish, about 2 inches. Do not worry about any fancy order.

Make a struesel. A struesel is a mixture of flour butter and sugar that is crumbed. In this case I use some brown sugar with white sugar. I also add some oatmeal flour--that is oatmeal ground in food processor or whole oatmeal would work and some cinammon. You can add crush nuts or any other seasoning--try some maple syrup.

Pack the struesel over the cantaloupe about 1/4-1/3 inch. Bake in hot oven, about 375. The idea is to get the struesel to melt together and brown and form crust--bake until that happens. Cool until warm. Eat warm with some ice cream, cream or by itself. Keep in fridge and heat in microwave when needed. It was realllllllly goooood.

Now I have eaten so much of cantaloupe crisp that I just lay on the couch and say ahhhhhhhhhhh...you are a pig

Now you have cooked cantaloupe and all is those little germs are dead It is the same you do with apples, plums, or any fruit. It is good fast way to use fruit.

I do not give exact recipes. I think that removes the creativity and you will never lean to cook. Some people get so obsessive with recipes that they fail to adapt to each situation.

I think I will try to make some chutney with cantaloupe--that should be interesting. Cantaloupe Salsa would be more appropriate. A little peppers, some onions, little sweet, little sour, and a little hot. Now that I can give some name that would fit, let see "Salsa Rocky Ford".

I think the Rocky Ford people need some help and support, so Eat Rocky Ford Cantaloupe. We can do it like Chick Fillet. Instead of a Cow saying "eat more chicken". We need to have a dancing Apple saying "eat more Cantaloupe". Do they have a Cantaloupe Festival? This area needs a little more creative marketing. I am fat enough--I could be the dancing Cantaloupe; drinking cantaloupe wine, cantaloupe beer and slobbering myself around the crowds. I would really be a sight.

Livecontent
CIA graduate--many years ago when I young and stupid, now I am old and stupid.

Last edited by livecontent; 09-24-2011 at 03:21 PM..

Old 09-24-2011, 04:45 PM

78 posts, read 165,650 times
The sad thing for the farmers is that regardless if the cantaloupes are safe or not, who really is going to buy and take the risk? Most will just pass until next year.

Now for the farms that had the outbreaks, might as well grab an attorney. The lawsuits will be coming shortly. Tough year for farmers.

Old 09-24-2011, 08:25 PM

9,274 posts, read 5,784,185 times
Love the Baked Cantaloupe Crisp recipe livecontent. Mango salsa is great, so Cantaloupe salsa should be too. Diced cantaloupe, chopped red onion, chopped jalapeno, fresh cilantro, some lime juice and a little salt and pepper. It would probably go great with fish or something light.

Old 09-25-2011, 11:05 AM

5,091 posts, read 13,165,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
Love the Baked Cantaloupe Crisp recipe livecontent. Mango salsa is great, so Cantaloupe salsa should be too. Diced cantaloupe, chopped red onion, chopped jalapeno, fresh cilantro, some lime juice and a little salt and pepper. It would probably go great with fish or something light.
Thank you for your response. I do like to make salsa but I take the same safety approach I take with all food. I do wash and clean an onion and peppers before I cut into the skin. Most people fail to do that and it has caused serious problems in restaurants that serve fresh salsa.

For restaurants and institutions, I am against fresh salsa. I think a cooked salsa is necessary to insure safety. I lightly saute the onions and the peppers.They will still be crisp and have texture. I add the spices and briefy saute which helps bring out the flavor. I add tomatoes, tomatillos and other ingredients. That I bring to a boil. I cool and finish off some vinegar and perhaps olive oil to bring out the flavor.

In my home, I rarely make fresh salsa but I make sure the peppers and onions are thoroughly scrubbed and washed. With spices, herbs and chopped fresh garlic, I put in water; and oil and cook briefly in a microwave. It brings out the flavor and provides another level to ensure safety. Most times, I make a cooked salsa and with addition of salt, sugar and vinegar, I bring it to the point which slows the growth of bacteria. I then can keep it refrigerated for a longer time.

Livecontent

Old 09-26-2011, 09:39 AM

103 posts, read 343,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
I have been eating so many cantaloupes that I starting to grow vines. Finally, I cannot really eat much more, even though my heart is in the support. So, I decided to make it into Baked Cantaloupe Crisp.

WASH WITH BRUSH AND SOAP, RINSE WELL. Cut up the cantaloupe. It does not matter the cut or slices but thinner slices are better. Mix some of the cantaloupe with sugar, brown and white and a little salt Pack in buttered baking dish, about 2 inches. Do not worry about any fancy order.

Make a struesel. A struesel is a mixture of flour butter and sugar that is crumbed. In this case I use some brown sugar with white sugar. I also add some oatmeal flour--that is oatmeal ground in food processor or whole oatmeal would work and some cinammon. You can add crush nuts or any other seasoning--try some maple syrup.

Pack the struesel over the cantaloupe about 1/4-1/3 inch. Bake in hot oven, about 375. The idea is to get the struesel to melt together and brown and form crust--bake until that happens. Cool until warm. Eat warm with some ice cream, cream or by itself. Keep in fridge and heat in microwave when needed. It was realllllllly goooood.

Now I have eaten so much of cantaloupe crisp that I just lay on the couch and say ahhhhhhhhhhh...you are a pig

Now you have cooked cantaloupe and all is those little germs are dead It is the same you do with apples, plums, or any fruit. It is good fast way to use fruit.

I do not give exact recipes. I think that removes the creativity and you will never lean to cook. Some people get so obsessive with recipes that they fail to adapt to each situation.

I think I will try to make some chutney with cantaloupe--that should be interesting. Cantaloupe Salsa would be more appropriate. A little peppers, some onions, little sweet, little sour, and a little hot. Now that I can give some name that would fit, let see "Salsa Rocky Ford".

I think the Rocky Ford people need some help and support, so Eat Rocky Ford Cantaloupe. We can do it like Chick Fillet. Instead of a Cow saying "eat more chicken". We need to have a dancing Apple saying "eat more Cantaloupe". Do they have a Cantaloupe Festival? This area needs a little more creative marketing. I am fat enough--I could be the dancing Cantaloupe; drinking cantaloupe wine, cantaloupe beer and slobbering myself around the crowds. I would really be a sight.

Livecontent
CIA graduate--many years ago when I young and stupid, now I am old and stupid.
Livecontent...great post....I am going to encourage the Valley papers to check out your post. Maybe we can get you a part time gig as the Alton Brown of the Arkansas Valley. Oddly enough, I have spoken to a couple of the growers about helping them with some marketing, etc. during the winter. Your ideas may show up and I'll make sure you get some produce for your efforts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado