U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 06:17 PM

5,091 posts, read 13,189,097 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by la junta econ devel View Post
Livecontent...great post....I am going to encourage the Valley papers to check out your post. Maybe we can get you a part time gig as the Alton Brown of the Arkansas Valley. Oddly enough, I have spoken to a couple of the growers about helping them with some marketing, etc. during the winter. Your ideas may show up and I'll make sure you get some produce for your efforts.
Thank you much, I will disclose my real living name and address to you in an email as I have it from your message. I do have some experience dealing with food but I would very much enjoy learning more about Colorado Agriculture. I am very much annoyed that Colorado is viewed as only a Mountain State when the Plains should be more noted and appreciated.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 09-26-2011 at 06:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2011, 12:22 PM

103 posts, read 344,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
Thank you much, I will disclose my real living name and address to you in an email as I have it from your message. I do have some experience dealing with food but I would very much enjoy learning more about Colorado Agriculture. I am very much annoyed that Colorado is viewed as only a Mountain State when the Plains should be more noted and appreciated.

Livecontent
Absolutely.....food production (whether vegetative or livestock, irrigated or dryland) on the Plains and in the rural areas may not be a priority until it is in danger of disappearing.

Old 09-28-2011, 03:24 PM

13,728 posts, read 21,548,097 times
Thirteen reported deaths now, but I see no evidence that the four in New Mexico definitely are linked to the Jensen farm.

Another thing, I see that there's been no update on the status of Charles Palmer, Listeria victim in Colorado Springs as of about the 16th of September. Evidently, the media sees fit that the only importance in that case is that Charles will be in the hospital for a long time and that the family's lawyers are experts in prosecuting listeria victims, to the tune of $600,000,000.00 to date. I'd just like to know how the guy is and if he's going to make it or not... not how many millions he stands to receive should he survive the illness.

Old 10-04-2011, 02:24 PM

29 posts, read 42,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzco View Post
Sure, the problem arises because the melons are labeled "Rocky Ford."

But we all know that we all laud the Rocky Ford fruits; we're all so happy for the limited time that we actually do have "Colorado grown" produce. We celebrate the great produce that Colorado has - differentiating when a single grower/producer has contamination, a problem, whatever clearly is a problem, when the region markets itself well.

You can argue that because it's in Holly, it's far removed form what you think of as Rocky Ford, but face it, people are concerned and frightened.
I think the real tragedy is how long an already depressed area as the Arkansas Valley and particularly Rocky Ford will suffer from this incident. Holly is closer to being in Kansas than it is to Rocky Ford (even Pueblo is closer to RF than Holly), yet Rocky Ford crop sales will likely be affected by this for years to come.

There oughta be a law (not something I usually advocate!)...if I buy a melon labeled as Rocky Ford, I expect it to come from somewhere near Rocky Ford (same with Olathe sweet corn or Vidalia onions)!

Old 10-04-2011, 02:32 PM

20,344 posts, read 37,868,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
Thirteen reported deaths now, but I see no evidence that the four in New Mexico definitely are linked to the Jensen farm.

Another thing, I see that there's been no update on the status of Charles Palmer, Listeria victim in Colorado Springs as of about the 16th of September. Evidently, the media sees fit that the only importance in that case is that Charles will be in the hospital for a long time and that the family's lawyers are experts in prosecuting listeria victims, to the tune of $600,000,000.00 to date. I'd just like to know how the guy is and if he's going to make it or not... not how many millions he stands to receive should he survive the illness.
...Dog... TV news a few days ago said Charles Palmer was in stable condition. Here's a google hit ... let's hope he makes it through.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 10-04-2011, 06:29 PM

5,091 posts, read 13,189,097 times
I will throw this out as an idea about the source of these problems. I have traveled through the agricultural areas of California on my way to the Navy docks where I inspected food for shipment. I would see laborers in the field with the dogs, which roamed free. I have seen the same situation in observing field workers and their dogs picking produce, here in Colorado. Perhaps, and I say perhaps, that the sources and spread of this pathogen is caused by allowing dogs to roam in the fields. Here in Denver, people allow their dogs to roam and I can see it more of a problem in these rural areas.

Are the fields fenced against roaming dogs?? Are there prohibitive regulations that detail clearly that farm workers shall not bring their domestics pets into the fields?? If not then the growers are increasing their liabilities by their negligence. Yes, I know that their are wild rodents in the fields but that is not a defensible positions when you add further to field contamination.

In addition, when product is packed and warehoused for shipment and after all methods of cleansing is complete, do these workers still allow their pets to roam, in and around the products, which at these places would not come in contact with many field rodents. I have seen this situation with workers who cannot leave their pets at home.

Many people view dogs as iinnocuous when they can and do carry pathogens on their body, their nose, their paws etc. because they like to touch and roam. No one wants to point the finger at the cute little dog but maybe we need to be more critical and observant.

I do not want to get into a discussion with dog lovers and their defenders, as that is not the issue. This is an issue of agriculture, commerce, business practices and food safety.

Livecontent

Old 10-11-2011, 08:17 AM

2,534 posts, read 5,827,791 times
There's a good article in today's Denver Post that discusses many of the issues/problems surrounding the cantaloupe crisis:

Rocky Ford cantaloupe growers reeling from "listeria hysteria"

Old 10-19-2011, 01:07 PM

20,344 posts, read 37,868,858 times
News today in the Gazette is that it was the equipment in the packing shed that caused the problem.

Excerpts:

The agency said Wednesday that contamination at the packing facility at Jensen Farms is likely to blame for the outbreak that killed 25 people in a dozen states. Investigators found positive listeria samples on equipment and fruit there.

The FDA said Jensen Farms had recently purchased used equipment that was corroded and hard to clean. The agency said the way the cantaloupes were cooled after coming off the fields may have also contributed to listeria growth.

The Denver Post has listed other findings from the FDA report.

The FDA report is found here.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado