Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2011, 02:02 PM

2,075 posts, read 5,121,128 times

Advertisements

We have 5" of heavy wet snow on our deck (Nederland vicinity). Seems to have stopped for now...

Old 10-08-2011, 04:24 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,452,401 times
Exclamation Freeze Warning

Now there is this:

URGENT - WEATHER MESSAGE

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE PUEBLO CO
249 PM MDT SAT OCT 8 2011

...FREEZE WARNING IN EFFECT FROM MIDNIGHT TONIGHT TO 9 AM MDT SUNDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN PUEBLO HAS ISSUED A FREEZE WARNING...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM MIDNIGHT TONIGHT TO 9 AM MDT SUNDAY. THE FREEZE WATCH IS NO LONGER IN EFFECT.

* LOCATION...EL PASO...PUEBLO...EASTERN FREMONT...EASTERN HUERFANO...LAS ANIMAS...CROWLEY AND OTERO COUNTIES.

* TEMPERATURES...FALLING INTO THE MID 20S TO LOWER 30S LATE TONIGHT THROUGH EARLY SUNDAY MORNING...WITH THE COLDEST READINGS OVER SNOW COVERED PORTIONS OF NORTHERN EL PASO COUNTY.

* IMPACT...FREEZING TEMPERATURES MAY DAMAGE OR KILL TENDER VEGETATION. PROTECT PLANTS BY COVERING THEM OR BRINGING THEM INDOORS.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

THE FIRST KILLING FREEZE OF THE FALL IS LIKELY OVERNIGHT THROUGH EARLY SUNDAY MORNING...WITH A PROLONGED PERIOD OF BELOW FREEZING TEMPERATURES POSSIBLE. TAKE PRECAUTIONARY ACTIONS TO PROTECT OUTDOOR PLANTS AND GARDENS...AS WELL AS EXPOSED WATER PIPES AND WATER LINES FROM THE FREEZING TEMPERATURES OVERNIGHT.

Old 10-08-2011, 05:08 PM

2,253 posts, read 6,984,029 times
Wink Estes Park, etc.

There is certainly snow in Estes Park, and as far as I know the first time actually in town this season. A good coating of heavy wet snow on all the trees, with portions of the roads beginning to turn white.

In fact, the divide up out of Estes Park on US 36 had an inch or two of snow on the road, with the only clear area twin tire tracks from traffic in either lane. Which was going nowhere uphill at one point as all vehicles stopped due at least one bad driver. One of them a large pickup which was sliding sideways in trying for traction. Presumably road conditions are better now, if perhaps more snowpack.

It seems there is snow on the mountains practically to the edge of Boulder. Although earlier this afternoon the cusp between rain and snow on US 34 was at Drake. Within a short distance and change in elevation the conditions can be quite variable.

Old 10-10-2011, 10:08 AM

1,126 posts, read 2,925,232 times
We were in Woodland Park on Saturday, by 10 am they had 7 inches of snow and it was dumping!

Old 10-10-2011, 04:48 PM

1,225 posts, read 4,920,312 times
According to the news, we had 9+ inches in Monument, but the wind was blowing so hard the drifts were much deeper.

Old 10-10-2011, 05:17 PM

YA! I like to see snow pictures! Thanks for posting......

Cute dog too btw

Old 10-10-2011, 10:19 PM

17,986 posts, read 27,444,769 times
Thx 4 the info on the freeze warning Joss, but that still doesn't count. We wait.

Vfr, nice pics and I love the seclusion I see in the pics. Not too much of that if you head much north and surely south of your pics if I assume your general area properly... black hills/Palmer Divide area? What I mean by that is the fact that my wife and I were leaving Denver today for back home and I noticed the sprawl from Lone Tree all the way throughout the Castle Rock area with cluttered human influence on each and every hill, nook, and cranny. Much the same throughout the foothills and hills of much of El Paso County as well. Now when you get to the foothills along the I-25 corridor south of Pueblo... through Pueblo, Huerfano, and Las Animas counties to the NM border, you might see secluded rolling hills like that too... hopefully for some time to come.

Old 10-10-2011, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
Thx 4 the info on the freeze warning Joss, but that still doesn't count. We wait.
I did see some snow mix in with the rain early Saturday morning on highway 50 west close to I-25. Not a lot but it was fun to see.

Old 10-11-2011, 07:52 AM

1,225 posts, read 4,920,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post

Vfr, nice pics and I love the seclusion I see in the pics. Not too much of that if you head much north and surely south of your pics if I assume your general area properly... black hills/Palmer Divide area? What I mean by that is the fact that my wife and I were leaving Denver today for back home and I noticed the sprawl from Lone Tree all the way throughout the Castle Rock area with cluttered human influence on each and every hill, nook, and cranny. Much the same throughout the foothills and hills of much of El Paso County as well. Now when you get to the foothills along the I-25 corridor south of Pueblo... through Pueblo, Huerfano, and Las Animas counties to the NM border, you might see secluded rolling hills like that too... hopefully for some time to come.
We are in Woodmoor, a subdivision in Monument. The back of our home faces north. I can see County Line Road(Palmer Divide) across a 900 acre pasture, about 2 miles away.
I can see your point about development along I-25. For sure there is less south of Pueblo. But if you were to fly along I-25 you would see many thousands of untouched acres, even west of I-25. Try SH105 north out of Palmer Lake next time you drive to Denver. Lots and lots of beautiful open space along the foothills. Also the area east of I-25 north of Monument up to Castle Rock/Franktown is very open and mostly untouched, except for a few ranches.
Now back to winter wx

Old 10-11-2011, 08:16 AM

18,208 posts, read 25,840,395 times
Speaking of SH 105, that's where my sister lives, just about a half mile from the Larkspur turnoff. Was there over the weekend as we went to the Bronco/Charger game. They got 6 inches out of the storm, snowing steady and finally letting up around 5 in the afternoon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado