U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-20-2011, 02:31 PM
 
8,317 posts, read 25,095,377 times
Reputation: 9065

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyVaz1009 View Post
Already mentioned, but the Aspen area for sure.

Also the Lake City / Creede area. I forget the number of the state highway that goes through there... But it is beautiful.

One more: McClure Pass between Delta and Carbondale. I've gone through a couple times in summer, but never in fall. If I remember correctly though, there are a large amount of non-evergreen trees in that area. Perhaps someone who has gone through here in fall before can elaborate. I'm only assuming that it's spectacular.
McClure Pass can be spectacular if the colors are good--both aspen and oakbrush. This, however, may not be one of those years, depending on whether the late fall produces decent colors or the leaves just turn black and fall off, as I noted earlier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-20-2011, 06:20 PM
 
Location: Colorado Springs
18,885 posts, read 8,867,123 times
Reputation: 18290
Today I drove over route 50 from Pueblo to Salida. My purpose was sightseeing, but I knew it was a little early for fall color. Nevertheless, once I got to Salida until I descended toward Montrose. Mostly some yellows here and there, thick in a couple of pockets, but mostly still green.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-20-2011, 07:49 PM
 
9,816 posts, read 19,017,909 times
Reputation: 7537
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
McClure Pass can be spectacular if the colors are good--both aspen and oakbrush. This, however, may not be one of those years, depending on whether the late fall produces decent colors or the leaves just turn black and fall off, as I noted earlier.
And I'd say the northside is where it is at in terms of fall color, southside of the pass not so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-21-2011, 11:06 AM
 
Location: Wherabouts Unknown!
7,754 posts, read 16,450,212 times
Reputation: 9287
Firstly, avoid disappointment but not expecting the fall colors of Colorado to include the vast array of reds and oranges typically witnessed in New England. The color show here is mostly yellows, very glorious yellows, but limited to yellow by the predominance of the Aspen hardwoods. Colorado route 12 over Kebler pass between Crested Butte and highway 133 passes thru one of the largest Aspen groves on the planet. Scroll down this page a bit to view some pictures taken along this route. This is a fantastically scenic drive in the fall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-21-2011, 11:11 AM
 
8,317 posts, read 25,095,377 times
Reputation: 9065
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
Firstly, avoid disappointment but not expecting the fall colors of Colorado to include the vast array of reds and oranges typically witnessed in New England. The color show here is mostly yellows, very glorious yellows, but limited to yellow by the predominance of the Aspen hardwoods. Colorado route 12 over Kebler pass between Crested Butte and highway 133 passes thru one of the largest Aspen groves on the planet. Scroll down this page a bit to view some pictures taken along this route. This is a fantastically scenic drive in the fall.
There can be some very nice oranges and reds in the areas where oakbrush (technically, Gambel Oak) occurs--either with or without aspen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-21-2011, 11:27 AM
 
Location: Wherabouts Unknown!
7,754 posts, read 16,450,212 times
Reputation: 9287
jazzlover wrote:
There can be some very nice oranges and reds in the areas where oakbrush (technically, Gambel Oak) occurs--either with or without aspen.
Yeah I know what you mean. I've seen that too, but the reds and oranges of Colorado do not dominate the autumn landscape like they do in New England and/or the Appalachians. But we do have red mountains and red rock canyons!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-21-2011, 11:54 AM
 
Location: Western Colorado
10,520 posts, read 11,628,203 times
Reputation: 24168
Color Sunday is Octobr 2. I hope the guy at the Colorado Division of Trees is ready to flip the switch from green to gold. I get to go to Ouray and turn the waterfalls off, always a good time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-21-2011, 01:01 PM
 
Location: Littleton, CO
2,395 posts, read 4,160,971 times
Reputation: 7492
That's the day I'll be at the Maroon Bells and around that area. Does anyone know if it's a zoo during fall like this? Supposedly the bus stops running 9/25 so I'm assuming you can just drive in
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-21-2011, 02:43 PM
 
16,165 posts, read 20,176,426 times
Reputation: 46688
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
McClure Pass can be spectacular if the colors are good--both aspen and oakbrush. This, however, may not be one of those years, depending on whether the late fall produces decent colors or the leaves just turn black and fall off, as I noted earlier.
If those colors do come through though, it's worth the drive. Doesn't get any better than McClure!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-21-2011, 03:13 PM
 
9,816 posts, read 19,017,909 times
Reputation: 7537
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
If those colors do come through though, it's worth the drive. Doesn't get any better than McClure!
The drive back to Marble has a lot of Aspens as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top