Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2011, 04:50 AM

27 posts, read 69,577 times

Advertisements

[quote=livecontent;21093371]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idunn View Post

You have, the green grocer, the grocer, the florist, the fish market, the druggist, the delicatessan, the butcher, the baker and the candestick maker (I could not resist).

Livecontent
Oh *wipes a tear away* man you really got my hopes up there, seeing as I was half asleep while reading this my brain just immediately went "Ohhhhhhhh, what a perfect job! I'll make candlesticks!" LOL and that flying car business up there....had me cracking up so loudly, thank you! I needed that. Gonna keep my ignorant self neutral on the actual public transit topic but quite hysterically written
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2011, 05:28 AM

1,180 posts, read 3,113,648 times
My sister and her husband manage the Columbine Ranch currently but they have a place of their own (currently being leased to someone) outside Jefferson. They do have neighbors but it's fairly isolated and is off the grid (which is both a blessing and a curse). I know that they are definitely not millionaires or anythng close to that so the OP might check out that area.

Old 10-19-2011, 05:33 PM

753 posts, read 838,137 times
Hey Gem, I think the San Luis Valley might meet most of your needs or at least as a seasonal option.

Look at this guys blog!

The Hermitage

Old 10-22-2011, 07:24 PM

27 posts, read 69,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PcolaFLGuy View Post
Hey Gem, I think the San Luis Valley might meet most of your needs or at least as a seasonal option.

Look at this guys blog!

The Hermitage
thanks so much!!

Old 11-19-2011, 08:36 AM

1 posts, read 2,623 times
Quote:
GemCraver, I have some thoughts because much of what you describe is what I've been looking for, except for the Mtn. views. If you wanted to just be close enough to visit the jagged mountains, then I may have your answer.

And it's in all of these people's back yards and they don't realize it. Check out my [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/denver/1377907-i70-high-plains.html"]I70 High Plains[/URL] thread for my quest, but the counties to the east of the I25 Corridor are rural enough to have affordable land that you wouldn't have nearby neighbors but close enough to a major city/town on I25 that has the jobs/amenities (hospitals) you mention. It's just that Mtn. part that's missing. Which is why it exists. I'm seeing that folks in Colorado have "Peak Envy". They all want to be in the mountains and the 'plains' (which are 3000 feet and above, mind you) "might as well be Kansas".

So, much of what you describe exists in Colorado. I'm checking out Elbert, Arapahoe and Adams counties which are to the east of Denver. Looking very hard you can even find folks owner financing larger parcels.

Otherwise, check out Montana. Not sure of any 'liberal' towns there. Probably somewhere near a college/university. Billings?
I agree that Montana may better suit her "want list." Land is a less expensive than colorado although, again, not inexpensive if near a big city. Missoula is a pretty liberal city for that mostly red state. Lots of old mines there too although Nevada is better for that. Beware of low pay and lack of jobs in Montana though

Old 11-20-2011, 10:21 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,760,580 times
Quote:

Look at this guys blog!

The Hermitage
Yes. Great suggestion, the place that instantly popped in my mind after reading the OP's first post was Crestone, CO.

Crestone, Colorado - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-21-2011, 09:30 AM

8,317 posts, read 29,365,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wag more bark less View Post
Yes. Great suggestion, the place that instantly popped in my mind after reading the OP's first post was Crestone, CO.

Crestone, Colorado - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I love the SLV and have many friends there, but it is a terrible place to relocate to as far as a job situation goes. The SLV has few employment opportunities and the pay scales are horrible. A couple of the most economically depressed counties in the United States are in the San Luis Valley. First and foremost, the SLV is a farming area. Farming there is 100% reliant on irrigation and nearly 25% of the irrigated land in the SLV will be "dried up" in the next decade in order for Colorado to meet downstream water obligations set forth in interstate compacts for the Rio Grande River drainage. That will make the local economic situation even worse.

Some people gleefully spew about the SLV's potential for solar electric generation. Even if it comes to fruition, which I seriously doubt, the industry's record so far is to employ few local residents during the construction phase, with just a handful of people necessary for ongoing maintenance. So, the economic benefit of that industry to the SLV residents, at best, looks pretty minimal.

As for Crestone, if hanging around a bunch of trustifarian, crystal-gazing, latter-day hippie weirdos floats your boat, have at it. The place is pretty much a running joke among other San Luis Valley residents and rural Coloradans, in general.

Old 11-21-2011, 01:55 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,760,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
I love the SLV and have many friends there, but it is a terrible place to relocate to as far as a job situation goes. The SLV has few employment opportunities and the pay scales are horrible. A couple of the most economically depressed counties in the United States are in the San Luis Valley. First and foremost, the SLV is a farming area. Farming there is 100% reliant on irrigation and nearly 25% of the irrigated land in the SLV will be "dried up" in the next decade in order for Colorado to meet downstream water obligations set forth in interstate compacts for the Rio Grande River drainage. That will make the local economic situation even worse.

Some people gleefully spew about the SLV's potential for solar electric generation. Even if it comes to fruition, which I seriously doubt, the industry's record so far is to employ few local residents during the construction phase, with just a handful of people necessary for ongoing maintenance. So, the economic benefit of that industry to the SLV residents, at best, looks pretty minimal.

As for Crestone, if hanging around a bunch of trustifarian, crystal-gazing, latter-day hippie weirdos floats your boat, have at it. The place is pretty much a running joke among other San Luis Valley residents and rural Coloradans, in general.
You and your cynical buddies can mock Crestone if you want... the reality is many people genuinely enjoy it, and if you bothered to read the OP's posts carefully, you'd probably get the idea that this is the type of place she's looking for.

Old 11-22-2011, 01:17 PM

2,253 posts, read 6,959,600 times
Wink In seeking, Crestone & otherwise

Crestone is a lovely place in many respects, but may not be the best match for the OP's wishes.

It has pretty mountain views, and those immediately to its east may prove suitably jagged. No idea on mines in the area and gem potential, although guessing other regions in Colorado probably better in this regard. It is a small and isolated town, and expensive enough, but for those thinking the town and nearby subdivision too crowded, then nearby land might be available at a price, and then plenty of elbow room.

Something with a waterfall might be more of a trick, as even Crestone has certain water issues, although just to the west of it lies a large natural wetland. If snow, the Sangre de Cristo there do not seem to receive as much as in other areas of Colorado.

As will always be the case, just finding a way to financially afford it may prove the biggest challenge. Crestone itself would offer practically nothing unless luck and initiative intervene, and Alamosa at a good remove, in offering the largest market and best prospects in the San Luis Valley, is not exactly a thriving job market. Repetitive or not. One's best bet in this regard, whether there or farther south in Taos, NM, would be to work on one's own as an artist. I knew a girl in Taos who did bead work, which should prove repetitive enough, and actually made something of a living at it. Another fellow I knew there made a handsome living as an artist dealing in paint and canvas. But for every one of them there are lots of others who arrive in Taos with artistic ambitions, and the lucky one's with enough money to indulge this whim at leisure. Surprising the number of people who are drawn to that place with such a dream, and a good place to explore that passion. But without much money one is likely to do so out in the sagebrush by candlelight.

Weather-wise Crestone will share the SLVs propensity for having a harsh climate. Maybe more sheltered than Alamosa, but still cold enough in winter.

As far as liberal, no worries. Star gazing, or into one's naval, are acceptable pastimes. Crestone happens to be home to a number of small eclectic religious and spiritual retreats just outside of town. Probably even more so than Taos, and in part in being so much smaller, it would be a good place for those seeking to reestablish contact with their spiritual side. Just to the south of town, up a narrow dirt road past the spiritual retreats, there is a large white stupa on the hillside by itself, overlooking the San Luis Valley spreading out below. There also happens to be a similar one across the Rio Grande river from Taos at the eclectic assemblage known as Tres Orejas. As far as I know the only two anywhere in the valley or region.

However all the various parameters mentioned might as well or better be met not far from the front range. Insuring a literal mile from the nearest neighbor can prove a challenge without a lot of money, and/or the willingness to be so far off the beaten track that it will not matter whether the closest hospital is prestigious or not, as one will not be getting there in 40 minutes, or double that. But a lot of that wished for can be found near a town such as Nederland. The mountains are not as jagged there as farther north in the vicinity of Estes Park. Although within the canyon leading from Boulder to Nederland there are places with exquisite assemblages of all the jagged and beautiful rocks one might ever want. The same can also be said for the river canyons of the St. Vrain, Big Thompson, and others as well.

There was a lot of mining activity in the San Juan mountains of southwest Colorado. So perhaps from a mineral standpoint that could be an area of interest. However a lot of it is remote, not well meeting requirements in employment, etc.

So it devolves in part to priorities. Certain realtors or car salesmen will say the perfect fit is the one you are looking at now. But many people end up where they are more by happenstance with at best fits which meet most of their wants and needs. The sad reality also that such a search always easier if one conducts it with a healthy purse. Otherwise, a lot of creativity is in order. In the end, in any event, probably a few things one would wish a little different: the waterfall a little bigger, etc.

Manitou Springs, just west of Colorado Springs, is another possible option. While probably proving liberal and eclectic enough, its beautiful location is also confining. Something akin to Ouray, although that lovely place an entirely different enchilada. Property outside of Ouray, and probably Manitou Springs, possible with enough elbow room, but inevitably at a price and certain compromises.

A lot that you want can be had at least cost in the middle of nowhere. But then as well near the front range, with the benefit of the employment markets and the many services which make it a desirably place to live. Also with more moderate weather than in some other regions. But as part of the compromise in this case also with attendant crowds in certain places, and a price premium in that lovely and accessible.

Aside from the standard advice to go look in person, also the suggestion to do so more than once and in various seasons. The warm rock one may sit on in the sunlight by the river one day, a few months removed at exactly the same time of day now in shadow and covered in snow.

Old 11-27-2011, 10:12 AM

536 posts, read 1,531,236 times
Try Maine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado