U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 03:53 PM

27 posts, read 59,569 times

Advertisements

I'm saving up to move to Colorado because I've heard it has the prettiest mountain views. I've never had enough money to travel anywhere near the area but I love mountains that look like large jagged rocks. I want to be in a secluded place where everywhere I look is just nature (no neighbors within a mile or so at least) and it would be perfect to have a waterfall, meadow, and mountain scenery in my backyard. I don't mind if I have to purchase land without a home built yet. I care more about the area having the view, a prestigious hospital nearby just in case, a larger city like place approximately 30-40 minutes away for variety of recreational activities and job prospects (I'm currently an art teacher certified to teach k-12th grades, but I'm considering working somewhere like a factory where I can do something repetitive so my mind is clear to conceive new art ideas for my own work), public land nearby for free camping/climbing/hiking/rafting/fishing/nature viewing,...I also am an avid gem/crystal collector (especially colorful ones like lapis lazuli, garnet, amethyst, etc.) and would love some abandoned mines nearby. Please share photos and advice to help me settle down in a place like I've described. I don't mind harsh temperatures but I am opposed to places where a devastating natural disaster is likely. Also the more liberal it is the better but its less of a priority then the other requirements I mentioned. I'm not set on Colorado ( so if another state would do I'm all ears) I'm just desperate for settling down somewhere that meets all of my wants and so far that's the direction I've been pointed in. Thank you in advance...

Last edited by gemcraver; 09-20-2011 at 04:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2011, 03:59 PM

8,317 posts, read 25,120,672 times
Incompatible desires for anywhere in Colorado. Also, got a million dollars? That's about what it would take to make the lifestyle you describe. It's a nice dream, but that's all it will be.

Old 09-20-2011, 04:16 PM

10,874 posts, read 41,210,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
Incompatible desires for anywhere in Colorado. Also, got a million dollars? That's about what it would take to make the lifestyle you describe. It's a nice dream, but that's all it will be.
Ah, one of those times that I will disagree with you here ...

"a million dollars"?

At best, that's a downpayment on a parcel such as the OP describes.

Anybody that wants gorgeous mountain vista's and at least 1 mile separation between them and neighbors is looking at land adjacent to undeveloped public lands and a lot of deeded acres to assure their privacy. Such a property could be found in various places around the state many years ago, but even then it would have been a many multi-million dollar property.

Add in the requirements of being close to a hospital, etc ... and now you're talking land that is going to be many thousands of dollars per acre. I had a neighbor in Denver whose family had a parcel in Montrose adjoining such a ranch that the Kravis family bought in the 1980's for a private hunting/fishing resort ... IIRC, they ran into cash flow problems and Kravis' sold the place in large parcels at $3,000 to $8,000 per acre.

Old 09-20-2011, 04:17 PM

27 posts, read 59,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
Well I appreciate your feedback but if you could list which specific places meet which desires it would help me more. priority 1: the secluded nature I described. priority 2: accessible to a job. The rest I don't mind having to travel a bit to get to and as I mentioned I'm open to places outside of Colorado if need be. Thanks again.

Old 09-20-2011, 04:20 PM

20,323 posts, read 37,832,470 times
The prestigious hospitals are in Denver metro area, at least 50 miles from jagged peaks and nature. You might do tent camping in a remote national park and explore from there, but a home up there is terribly expensive, even if you find some cheap land. You might land a mobile home on a patch of land at the end of a dirt road somewhere, but the views can only be ascertained by coming here to see it for yourself.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 09-20-2011, 04:23 PM

1,742 posts, read 2,621,463 times
Might try Whitefish Montana.
Glacier and Waterton National Parks are close by.
Sandpoint Idaho might also work. RP

Old 09-20-2011, 04:32 PM

9,817 posts, read 19,036,263 times
Colorado is not a wet state unless you get above 8000ft and there is little on offer up there that isn't priced sky high or has some other issue.

If you can't afford to visit, you'll never be able to afford a piece of property that has mountain vistas, waterfalls and streams on it. Most Colorado property that has such features is in the millions of dollars to purchase.

Also living in the mountains and working as an art teacher yet being nearby to top notch medical care and all sorts of liberal lifestyles is probably not going to happen. Most mountain towns are pretty short on jobs and the ones that do have the nice amenities have average home prices of over a million dollars.

There are still many places in Colorado in the mountains that are cheaper, but all of these places are 1-2 hours even from the next town and hours from any major city.

Old 09-20-2011, 04:45 PM

13,704 posts, read 21,521,660 times
I'd say move to Aurora where you can at least see the mountains and squint really hard.

Srsly though... Westcliffe has one of the three priorities you seek.

Old 09-20-2011, 04:46 PM

9,817 posts, read 19,036,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemcraver View Post
Well I appreciate your feedback but if you could list which specific places meet which desires it would help me more. priority 1: the secluded nature I described. priority 2: accessible to a job. The rest I don't mind having to travel a bit to get to and as I mentioned I'm open to places outside of Colorado if need be. Thanks again.
The 2 don't go together. You can't have rural seclusion and then expect big city amenities. Especially in Colorado that isn't happening. That's what everyone seems to want and if it existed it would already be the place to be.

90% of Coloradans live on the I-25 corridor in an urban or suburban environment. And for good reason. Access to water, jobs, places to live, shopping, housing and also because the weather isn't as harsh.

There are tons of threads on here with tons of already written info about living in mountain towns. It would be a good idea to research them as well.

Old 09-20-2011, 04:51 PM

10,685 posts, read 28,521,259 times
What about Truckee? Close enough to Reno, still small town. You will have to deal with part timers and tourists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado