U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2007, 04:03 PM

2 posts, read 4,869 times

Advertisements

We are looking to move to Boulder (buy a larger family home on .25 - .5 acres) and want to be within walking distance of the Pearl Street mall (although it doesn't have to be a super quick walk). I'm having a hard time identifying the neighborhoods within walking distance (I need the names of neighborhoods to be able to run searches on the real estate sites). Can anyone help? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2007, 04:38 PM

84,977 posts, read 98,832,039 times
1/4 to 1/2 acre within waking distance to the Pearl St. Mall is just not realistic.

Old 08-19-2007, 05:19 PM

2 posts, read 4,869 times
Default Clarify my question...

by walk I mean could be 1 - 3 miles from Pearl Street mall? If can't find .25 - .5 acre lots could look at smaller ones. Can anyone help with the names of the neighborhoods around there? Thanks.

Old 08-19-2007, 05:33 PM

84,977 posts, read 98,832,039 times
Well, someone will disagree with me for sure, but I don't think there are many even 1/4 acre lots within 3 miles of Pearl St. You could try "Mapleton Hill". The houses are large, I'm not sure about the yards. People tend to talk in terms of "North Boulder" and "South Boulder", etc. There are some specific neighborhoods, but I really don't know all their names. You can find the area within 3 miles of Pearl St. Mall on a map and look for street names.

Old 08-19-2007, 06:59 PM

5,091 posts, read 13,169,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbraunstein View Post
We are looking to move to Boulder (buy a larger family home on .25 - .5 acres) and want to be within walking distance of the Pearl Street mall (although it doesn't have to be a super quick walk). I'm having a hard time identifying the neighborhoods within walking distance (I need the names of neighborhoods to be able to run searches on the real estate sites). Can anyone help? Thanks!
This is how, I would do it. I would go to City of Boulder, Colorado - eMaps Resources
and download, zip code map for Boulder map and look at a street map

Then I would go to the Colorado MLS listing REcolorado.com - brought to you by Metrolist Inc. and search on zip or street. Or make it easy search all of boulder, but be prepared to restrict home search at a minimum of about $1,000,000.

When I found some homes, I would go to Boulder County Assessor's Property Records Search
to get particulars of specific homes, parcels,street, I found.

Or the very easy way, if your are going to spend this type of money, go to a real estate firm and have them look. And if you cannot find a house with that property, then also buy the one next door. If they do not want to sell, then make them an offer they cannot refuse and then scrape it off for the extra acreage.

If you have the money, and this is want you want, it can be done. I am not trying to be sarcastic, I am just jealous.

Old 08-21-2007, 08:05 AM

151 posts, read 650,991 times
Boulder has, for many years, officially limited growth within the city limits. I drive around Boulder everyday, and as far as I can see, you're not going to find what you're looking for anywhere near the Pearl Street Mall (where I work). Those big houses on big lots are mostly in the surrounding towns, although extreme south Boulder, especially just outside of the city limits, might have everything you're looking for except walking access to the Mall.

Pittnujrse70 is right, there aren't really many distinct "neighborhoods" beyond north and south (west is foothills, east is mostly business parks until you get way out of town.

Try some of the surrounding towns, they're cheaper and more likely to have most everything you're looking for, and you can always take public transportation down to the Mall (the main bus station is there). Or you can drive, but be warned that parking anywhere within 6 blocks of the Pearl St Mall is expensive (or very short-term) and parking tickets are a major revenue source for the city.

Old 08-21-2007, 08:23 AM

Here's another perspective to consider. The Pearl Street Pedestrial Mall is 4 to 6 (depends on who's counting) blocks of over-priced shopping and a few very good (but not the best in the county) restaurants. It's quite picturesque but has more than its share of panhandlers. In 6 months it will be overly-familiar with a done-this-too-many-times feel to it. If you're looking for good, family oriented housing with some space, take a look at the rest of Boulder County -- it's cheaper, there's literally hundreds of miles of hiking and biking trails, and the view of the mountains is actually better because you'd be far enough away from them to get the bigger panorama.

Old 08-21-2007, 09:01 AM

4,308 posts, read 11,469,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbraunstein View Post
Another site to look at is Boulder Neighborhoods | Boulder Real Estate Information. Looks like the Whittier area is closest to what you want, along with Mapleton Hill and possibly University Hill, altho that of course is populated with CU students. I think Whittier and Mapleton Hill will be very expensive because it's also the city's Historic District but perhaps that's not an issue for you .

Old 08-21-2007, 10:30 AM

739 posts, read 2,676,250 times
If you are able to find some lots in that range within 3 miles of Pearl Street let me know- i think you'd be hard pressed to get anything over .16. Maybe up in Sunshine Canyon, but that may be quite a drive in the winter!

Old 08-21-2007, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj32 View Post
If you are able to find some lots in that range within 3 miles of Pearl Street let me know- i think you'd be hard pressed to get anything over .16. Maybe up in Sunshine Canyon, but that may be quite a drive in the winter!
Oh yeah. Buying in the foothills could make your dream come true ... until the first hard winter. Just a hundred feet above Boulder's average altitude, winter takes a few vicious notches upward. Wanna get snowed in for days? Look at Sunshine Canyon or any of the corresponding canyons heading UP out of Boulder. Wanna have to wait one day for the major highways to get plowed? Head up Canyon Blvd to Nederland. And be prepared to invest in a big, 4-wheel-drive SUV that will still get stuck in the snow or slide off the road several times a winter.

Winter here will seduce you with many mild and sunny days (I horseback ride without gloves many days every winter on the plains just outside Boulder). But then ... SLAM! BAM! You'll be struggling and shoveling to get out of your driveway and then down a slippery road with a very good chance of sliding into a creek, plowing head-on into a on-coming car, or pin-wheeling into the on-coming lane.

It's better out on the plains around Boulder, but even there winter can be a cold and dangerous *****. If you like extremes, you'll like Boulder. If you're looking for eternal paradise, look elsewhere.

MM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado