U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 08:36 PM

5,091 posts, read 13,202,483 times

Advertisements

The posts of "Jazzlover" on the other thread on "People from California" gave me an idea to start this thread. I did not want to continue with those California threads anymore; I am sick of them.

So what are the different unique restaurants that people will find in Colorado, Restaurants that are not chains, maybe do dining in a different Colorado style. They do not have to be fancy or expensive but they could be but just homegrown and different enough that you would recommend to newcomers.

My background just FYI because it applies to this topic. I am retired and I am a graduate of The Culinary Institute of America in Hyde Park, NY. So you may see some pretensions and bull (pun intented) about Colorado eateries. I have lived here for almost 30 years and I am an ex-New Yawker, and as you know, we know it all. But now I am a Coloradan.

I happen to like less expensive restaurants that cater to the common people.
Those restaurants that have been around for many years, have a following and are reasonable in price. From my experience, restaurants that cater to the yuppies or the new rich, come and go because this type of clientele grows bored and do not develop the character and menu development that age and experience brings. Also a family that has been operating a restaurant for generation has a feeling that sometimes cannot quickly develop.

So some of my recommendations to start:

Dino's Restaurant and Pizzeria in Lakewood, at Kipling and Colfax. This restaurant has been there over 40 years and serves many generations of Coloradan. Great Friendly environment. It will make you feel good as a Colorado Local. This Italian restaurant make me feel lost in time. Started by a man name Dino DiPaulo who started a small Pizzeria on this corner and ended up by buying all the land on the corner.

Buckhorn Exchange, 1000 Osage, Denver Buckhorn Exchange, Over 100 years old, reputed to have served Buffalo Bill. I had a nice date with a young women, many years ago and I took her her. She was disgusted by the animal heads along the walls, I just laughed; she never went out with me again. This is the place to try the delicacy of the west, Rocky Mountain Oysters. also it is right across from the Osage Station on the Light Rail.

Now I do not want to hog this thread; I tend to get Verbose(meaning too many words) but I wanted to contribute something that will welcome newcomers. Come on member join in. (Thanks JazzLover)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2007, 09:17 PM

26,346 posts, read 80,983,179 times
Here were some previous posts on this:

Specific restaurants mentioned.

Why Choose Colorado Springs?

Old 08-19-2007, 10:59 PM

27 posts, read 102,208 times
Not a resident Colorodan, but while visiting Fort Collins I was pleasantly surprised by BeauJeaus pizzeria and pub(I'm sure I spelled that wrong, just going by memory). The pizza ranked up there with anything I have ever tasted. The lunch buffet was one of the greatest values I have ever seen, I forget the price for adults but I remember children were only .25 x their age. I can't wait to go back.

Old 08-20-2007, 08:50 AM

10,692 posts, read 28,578,928 times
T-Wa 555 S Federal.

Pan Aisan Bistro in Meridan north of Lincoln & east of I-25.

Sonado's (sushi) not a chain, but the have a few locations

Great Northern Tavern on Belleview east of I-25

Old 08-20-2007, 02:13 PM

133 posts, read 679,893 times
Casa Bonita?... not sure where. It's been many, many years.

Old 08-20-2007, 05:52 PM

1,207 posts, read 4,149,044 times
The best pizza I've ever tasted is in Pueblo. Some place called 'Do Drop Inn', I think that's the spelling. I was told they have 2 locations. I couldn't find the one we went to now if my life depended on it. Situated in an older, run-down area, but really nice inside. I think the second one is on HI-50. They warn you that the pizza will take 45 minutes to cook. It's worth it. I'm gonna have to get one this week.

Old 08-20-2007, 06:24 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,271,234 times
Definatly
Casa Alverez in boulder,
Alexanders also in boulder (mexican hole in the wall)

Heavans Dragon (chineese up in northglenn)

Old 08-20-2007, 06:54 PM

Default Gala Gardens

Another hidden gem and I mean hidden is Gala Gardens in Commerce City. It is on about 88th and Rosemary. Now do not be put off by this location and the difficulty locating it. The restaurant has been around since the late 1960s and it looks it because it has numerous additions added and it is quite large, which fits the menu. It is noted for slow cooked prime rib but it serves mexican food and just about everything.

It has a big banquet business. See the Website Gala Gardens

Old 08-20-2007, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboshanz View Post
Not a resident Colorodan, but while visiting Fort Collins I was pleasantly surprised by BeauJeaus pizzeria and pub(I'm sure I spelled that wrong, just going by memory). The pizza ranked up there with anything I have ever tasted. The lunch buffet was one of the greatest values I have ever seen, I forget the price for adults but I remember children were only .25 x their age. I can't wait to go back.
Good addition to the list. The name is Beau Jo's Pizza, Mountain Pies by Beau Jo's Pizza Legendary Colorado Pizza

These Pizza are large and they are really a Mountain Pie, they make their pizza with a large outer crust and then after you stuffed yourself, they serve honey and you slather that on the crust and overcrust-stuff yourself. The only thing left, for me, after eating this was a big nap.

Old 08-21-2007, 09:59 AM

615 posts, read 2,726,638 times
I also love Beau Jo's for thick crust pizza. For thin crust pizza, I like Abo's. The pizzas are huge and you can buy them by the slice. Abo's was started by a CU student and I believe only has locations in Colorado.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or