U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2011, 04:36 PM

8 posts, read 12,294 times

Advertisements

My husband and I(in our 50's) are looking for an affordable liberal
community to move to. We currently live in Prescott, Az which is very
conservative. Is Mancos the place for us??? Thanks for your help. Mary
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2011, 06:49 PM

118 posts, read 268,001 times
Don't live there, so I could be wrong, but I don't think Mancos is particularly liberal. It seems to be a more conservative ranching community in my limited experience.

Old 09-23-2011, 02:00 PM

2,771 posts, read 3,455,224 times
Mancos itself has about 1200 people. It is a lot cheaper real estate than Durango or close by. It is a pretty rustic, casual area. Not a lot of new homes or really fancy homes or big subdivisions. So it is quite different than closer to Durango or to most of the Prescott area. It seems like a live and let live area. It is probably more conservative than liberal but there are some hippy, liberal and libertarian folk who live there for the lower housing cost and greater space to do their thing. There are a few small businesses that would probably get the liberal or progressive label based on their image / marketing. Crime flares up sometimes, maybe higher than average for a place that size.

You might also look at Bayfield. Almost twice the size as Mancos, a bit closer and more connected to Durango. Reportedly a lot safer on violent crime than Mancos. Average housing prices about halfway between Durango and Mancos. Somewhat younger than Mancos.

Ignacio is another even more affordable possibility if you want or don't mind greater cultural diversity. Only half the size on Mancos.

The Florida Mesa area SE of Durango is a fairly popular choice by retirees and near-retirees.

Old 09-23-2011, 08:10 PM

7,044 posts, read 6,169,737 times
Mancos is a very live and let live town very peacefull and laid back with a vibrant art district and great local businesses. no crime to speak of . plenty of fun things go on all summer here as well as in nearby Cortez. love it here and would never move.I am a refugee from La Plata county having lived in dgo bayfield and 25 years in ignacio. just couldn't afford it anymore. been here 17 years and love it.

Old 10-25-2011, 07:15 PM

14 posts, read 23,945 times
Default I think you'd like Mancos

Mancos is a mix of the conservative farmers and a lot of young liberals who have moved there, including a bevy of lesbian couples. A fair # of folks commute to jobs in much higher-priced Durango, although the road can be treacherous in winter. Mancos is around 7000 feet, and gets serious winter weather.

I think you'd like it. And if not, you've got Cortez, Dolores, Durango, all within spitting distance. Durango is uber-liberal but $$$.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or