U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2011, 02:16 PM

13 posts, read 16,956 times

Advertisements

I am about to graduate from college with a degree in agriculture education and another degree in math education. Right now I am considering my options and have been thinking about trying to find a job in Colorado. But I am not extremely familiar with the area and was hoping someone may be able to help me. Things I am looking for include access to trails for running (preferably a state or national park with several loops between 6 and 14 miles) and a medium to small school system (preferably with an agriculture department, medium = less than 500’ish in the high school). If possible having a college close would great, but it is not a necessity. I also like to snowboard, top-rope climb, and kayak. Any suggestions (if you could include the school system of the area you are suggesting that would be great)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2011, 03:54 PM

2,798 posts, read 3,503,286 times
This file http://www.ffa.cccs.edu/jobAttachments/Colorado16.pdf (broken link)
shows some current openings and recent ag teacher fills (check them out to get a better sense of where these positions exist). One of the open positions is in Brush, just east of Fort Morgan a bit over an hour outside of Denver. Another is in Rye. southwest of Pueblo. Not sure how big the Brush high school would be. Rye is probably quite small. This article highlights Sterling CO's new teachers including a new ag teacher, with local roots and industry experience. Sterling High School welcomes 5 new teachers - Journal Advocate
Most of the ag teacher positions will probably be in eastern or western CO but probably a sprinkle of them in central CO and select front range towns.

Old 09-25-2011, 05:53 PM

2,981 posts, read 6,653,484 times
Don't want to put you off of Colorado, I love it here, if you can find a job by all means come. But I saw on the Wyoming forum recently that their school systems are not funded by property taxes but by energy use taxes, or something of that sort. Point being that they have solid funding for their schools systems, so it might be a good area to include in your search.

Old 09-28-2011, 02:53 PM

3,296 posts, read 8,226,441 times
You might also want to include Idaho, eastern Oregon and eastern Washington in your search. Finding any teaching job is going to be tough in this economy, but a dual credentialed position in math and agriculture might fit really well in many of the communities in these states. Colorado positions, like others have said, will primarily be on the eastern plains, which will put you pretty far from the mountains (and the sports you enjoy in those mountains). I was very impressed recently with a trip I took to John Day, OR. You might consider it!

Old 09-28-2011, 03:33 PM

2 posts, read 2,990 times
Default Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterz View Post
I am about to graduate from college with a degree in agriculture education and another degree in math education. Right now I am considering my options and have been thinking about trying to find a job in Colorado. But I am not extremely familiar with the area and was hoping someone may be able to help me. Things I am looking for include access to trails for running (preferably a state or national park with several loops between 6 and 14 miles) and a medium to small school system (preferably with an agriculture department, medium = less than 500’ish in the high school). If possible having a college close would great, but it is not a necessity. I also like to snowboard, top-rope climb, and kayak. Any suggestions (if you could include the school system of the area you are suggesting that would be great)?

The post you have posted is really informative.I like your post..Please keep on sharing!

Last edited by Mike from back east; 09-28-2011 at 03:51 PM..

Old 09-30-2011, 04:46 PM

I really appreciate all the responses!

NW Crow, that site is great! A lot of information, I just hope it is all up to date. It's a great start at least.

Dogmama50, that would be an important consideration. Is the school situation a problem in Colorado? Or are you just suggesting another alternative? Ohio, where I am from, is extending retirement age, dropping rank 1 incentives, and in just a world of financial trouble right now. Basically it is not great but the districts themselves are for the most part in good shape, i.e. student learning is a priority. That would be my bigger concern, financial problems will likely correct themselves in time but districts with poor leadership will not (obviously every state will have poor districts, I'm just talking about as a whole).

delta07, no where is out of the question at this point . Like you said, I need to find a job. You have my curiosity, I'll have to check out John Day. And a question I have always wondered: I see you are from Bend, do you get the cloud cover that other parts of the NW get? Or is it sunny more often than not?

samsting, glad you liked it.

Old 09-30-2011, 05:20 PM

2,981 posts, read 6,653,484 times
I live up in the Vail area and from what I understand our schools are well run (I don't have kids). I think many Colorado schools are in good shape as far as their priorities compared to many parts of the country. The problem we have is dropping tax revenues, so the funding is in jeopardy. Here's a link to the current debate in my area: Schools could close if tax doesn't pass | VailDaily.com

So really I was just suggesting and alternative since the Wyoming financial school structure seems more stable.

Old 10-01-2011, 02:12 PM

Quote:
I really appreciate all the responses!

delta07, no where is out of the question at this point . Like you said, I need to find a job. You have my curiosity, I'll have to check out John Day. And a question I have always wondered: I see you are from Bend, do you get the cloud cover that other parts of the NW get? Or is it sunny more often than not?
Bend does get more sunshine than other parts of the NW, but still not nearly as much as Colorado or parts of the SW. During the summer, sunshine is abundant, but come fall and into winter, it can be overcast and gray for extended periods of time. We don't get the rain like other parts of the NW, but the clouds are definitely a factor (although if you are in Ohio, you are used to the gray skies in the winter). Further east, towards John Day, Baker City, Pendelton, etc. there is definitely a lot more sunshine. Of course, there are no teaching jobs in Bend. (I taught elementary school for 2 years in Colorado before we moved to Bend. I can't find a job here.)

Old 10-02-2011, 11:19 AM

Dogmama50, unfortunately funding is a problem almost everywhere it seems. It's sad that people seem to value education so little (although I might be a little biased ). You are right about the the funding in Wyoming though, it does seem more stable. And it is good to hear what some of the negatives might be as well. It is better to find out now than after I make a big commitment. I really do appreciate your advice and suggestion.

delta 07, that is good to hear. I think Oregon looks like a beautiful state and I actually like the occasional shower (or slightly more than occasional shower ). But I do like the sun as well, and had sorta ruled out a large part of the NW. Good to know that no where really seems out of the question, minus maybe Seattle area...

Old 10-03-2011, 11:19 AM

Quote:
delta 07, that is good to hear. I think Oregon looks like a beautiful state and I actually like the occasional shower (or slightly more than occasional shower ). But I do like the sun as well, and had sorta ruled out a large part of the NW. Good to know that no where really seems out of the question, minus maybe Seattle area...
Well, if you don't like the weather in the Seattle area, I'd probably cross anywhere west of the Cascades off your list, with the exception of maybe Southern Oregon. The winter gray and rain extends pretty far south of Seattle. Winter in Bend, IMO, is pretty darn gray too, but I also spent the first 32 years of life in Colorado, where the winter sun is really common.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado