U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2011, 01:33 PM

2 posts, read 1,864 times

Advertisements

I plan on moving to Colorado in the next 30 days, but I'm having trouble picking a city. I'm 39yrs old, single, and I love the outdoors. My hobbies are hiking and firearms, and being from the South, gardening. I have a degree in Marketing from a university, and a degree in Air Conditioning/Heating technology from a local technical college. I'm from Atlanta, but spent the last 7 years in the "hills" of North Georgia. I have 7 years experience in Heating and Air Conditioning. NATE certified.

Basically I would like to live in a smaller town, within a reasonable driving distance to a major city. I guess anywhere between Ft. Collins and Boulder. Just need some help narrowing down a location. I plan on renting for 1-2 yrs before I purchase a home.

What areas around Denver are most like Athens, GA or Dahlonega, GA.?

Any suggestions will help!

Last edited by Mike from back east; 09-26-2011 at 03:03 PM.. Reason: Merged 2:1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2011, 07:43 PM

2,798 posts, read 3,499,715 times
If you want a city with a university north of Denver, there are 3 alternatives= Boulder, Fort Collins and Greeley. The first two are somewhat like Athens in that they university towns and pretty liberal with regard to voting but the geography is different and so it is underlying culture. Boulder is very expensive on housing, Fort Collins also has higher rents than Athens. Greeley might be about the same price range on rent.

If you want "a smaller town" check out Loveland, Or for real small, take a look at Berthoud to the south of Loveland. These 2 places have a pretty good location within reach of a lot of stuff and might be good places to eventually look to buy a place, cheaper than most places to the south of them or Fort Collins.

Greeley is a quite a bit less expensive for buying a house than almost anywhere in that region. Some people find it an acceptable mix of pluses & minuses, others pass on it.

Use the search tool to find relevant threads or select cities from these lists and (among other things) find a few recent threads on that city mentioned part way down the data page.

http://www.city-data.com/city/Colorado.html for bigger cities

http://www.city-data.com/city/Colorado2.html for smaller towns (under 6,000 population)

Last edited by NW Crow; 09-26-2011 at 07:56 PM..

Old 09-27-2011, 11:58 AM

2 posts, read 1,864 times
Thanks for the info NW Crow! Some of the companies I have spoken with are in the Denver area. How is the traffic on I-87(south) in the mornings?

I have also been looking in Lyons & Idaho Springs. Any drawbacks to living in either of these two areas?

Old 09-27-2011, 12:45 PM

2,798 posts, read 3,499,715 times
Lyons has a lot of positives but the housing is generally expensive. There probably aren't a lot of small rentals but take a look.

Idaho Springs has cheaper housing on average, much more snow and commuting to Denver would be a pretty big commitment especially in winter.

For more details, both have had threads devoted to them and others which at least mentioned them.

There probably some useful info here Road Conditions, Speeds, Travel Times, Traffic Cameras, Live Streaming Traffic Cameras, Road Closures and Road Work Information provided by Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS) a branch of Colorado Department of Transportation on 287 south travel times and other commutes if you can find it.

If you are looking at Denver jobs, maybe also look at Lafayette and Lousiville for some smaller town feel and a shorter commute than the places previously mentioned.

Last edited by NW Crow; 09-27-2011 at 01:23 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado