U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2011, 05:24 PM

1 posts, read 3,421 times

Advertisements

Hi.

I'm new to the Colorado area and am having family come out for Christmas. I was trying to look up some nice places for 4 adults to spend Christmas.

Things I was thinking of were.. hot springs? skiing? snowboarding?

I would like to do something that would be a nice introduction to Colorado.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Judith
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2011, 05:35 PM

1,993 posts, read 4,183,577 times
Hi Judith. The first thing you should know is that Christmas time is THE busiest and most expensive time at any ski resort anywhere. If that is not an issue, then I'd recommend Breckenridge, Vail or Steamboat Springs. Steamboat is the only ski resort that has hot springs close by.
If you want a quiet, laid back and less expensive place Estes Park might fit the bill but there is no skiing/riding or hot springs.

Old 09-27-2011, 05:50 PM

2,253 posts, read 5,837,013 times
Wink Skiing somewhat off the beaten path

The popular resorts in Summit County, such as the town of Breckenridge, spring to mind, although other than hot tubs not sure what you'll find in the way of hot springs. The closest one I know of off-hand is well and gone on the far side of Kremmling, in Hot Sulpher Springs, CO. Of course if aiming for Hot Sulpher Springs, then you might be as happy staying and skiing at Winter Park.

Another option might be the large hot spring pool at Glenwood Springs, with skiing kind of near in Aspen. There are some lovely natural hot springs high above Aspen, but getting there would be an adventure.

But be forewarned that Christmas could be considered the absolute worst time to visit mountain Colorado, particularly for skiing. The ever variable weather will have something to say in this, with Christmas sometimes too soon for the best, or much of any, real snow. But the biggest reason being that EVERYONE else has exactly the same plans as you, with Christmas penciled in. Unless preferring lots of society and company, not to mention crowds most everywhere you go, sidewalk, road, lift, etc., then avoid those two to three weeks like the plague.

However, venturing something off the beaten path might prove viable, even if insisting on Christmas. Perhaps, just maybe, you might find the Mount Princeton Hot Springs to your liking, and relatively near Monarch ski area remote enough to have escaped the greater blitz at the more renowned resorts. Such a choice will not provide the same abundance of aprés ski options as these other places, but could possibly the mellow pleasure looked for.

I could also mention places like Silverton, but in the interest of not sending you halfway across the state, and over Red Mountain Pass in winter, will desist.

Old 09-27-2011, 08:50 PM

10,529 posts, read 11,632,560 times
Ouray. Better make reservations now.

Old 09-28-2011, 02:08 PM

1,742 posts, read 2,619,473 times
I second Idunn. Check out the Monarch Mountain Lodge.
Colorado Mountain Vacation, Monarch Ski Area, Adventure Colorado Vacation
RP

Old 09-28-2011, 03:17 PM

16,172 posts, read 20,180,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proveick View Post
I second Idunn. Check out the Monarch Mountain Lodge.
Colorado Mountain Vacation, Monarch Ski Area, Adventure Colorado Vacation
RP
Plus one!

Old 09-28-2011, 07:07 PM

91 posts, read 145,230 times
If we knew what your group likes to do it would be easier to give sugestions. but there are so many good options and very few bad options that you all are sure to have a good time.

you may want to check out www.onlycolorado.com they list things that are unique to colorado. this will help you provide a memorable vacation for your guest.

I am going to reccomend glenwood springs. it is a fun and cute little town. you have good access to skiing and the hotsprings are one of a kind.

yom also want to see this story Top 10 things to do in Colorado before you die - The Denver Post 10 things to do in colorado before you die.

Have fun

Old 09-29-2011, 12:08 PM

1,331 posts, read 4,414,851 times
I would say Breckenridge would be awesome!! It's such a "Norman Rockwell" kind of town at Christmastime!!! There is also a place (in Silverthorne too) that is called...D'Vine Wine.. You can schedule wine tastings, massages...it is really cool, google it!! It would be a great trip!!!!

Old 09-29-2011, 06:43 PM

9,816 posts, read 19,021,080 times
I like Vail or Beaver Creek at Christmas time, lots of lights and a good atmosphere.

Christmas is just about the busiest week for ski towns or mountain towns that have the amenities you desire. So bring a big wallet and book early.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado