Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How will you vote on COLO Proposition 103?
Yes, raise the taxes for 5 years. 25 44.64%
No, do not raise the taxes. 30 53.57%
No opinion / don't care. 1 1.79%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2011, 10:53 AM

1,711 posts, read 3,600,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnPaul View Post
If they allowed state wide school vouchers yes, but they never will so no. I moved from colorado 25 years ago..I do not miss it.
actually the money follows the student. If you live in D-2 and attend D-20 your state dollars go to D-20 not D-2.

As far as the Camden, Newark, DC school issues, they aren't spending nearly as much as the Harlem or Kipp schools do! Harlem and Kipp are trying to create a culture change, in order to do so they need lots of money. Camden, Newark, DC cannot create that culture change with their population because they don't have the resources to do so.

Old 10-02-2011, 10:53 AM

6,797 posts, read 9,347,476 times
Captain_hug99, what would happen when the tax expires and funding goes back to normal levels? I agree that teachers are paid very little, but what happens if everyone is given a pay bump because of the infusion of cash from the tax, but then the tax expires? It seems like it's a recipe for a funding crisis in 5 years.

Old 10-02-2011, 12:14 PM

1,789 posts, read 4,342,421 times
Has it been voted on yet? Trying to follow because of possible retirement in Pagosa or Trinidad.

Old 10-02-2011, 12:15 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,031,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debbie at bouontiful View Post
Has it been voted on yet? Trying to follow because of possible retirement in Pagosa or Trinidad.
No, voting is set for 01 Nov 2011.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 10-02-2011, 12:22 PM

1,711 posts, read 3,600,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyxjon View Post
Captain_hug99, what would happen when the tax expires and funding goes back to normal levels? I agree that teachers are paid very little, but what happens if everyone is given a pay bump because of the infusion of cash from the tax, but then the tax expires? It seems like it's a recipe for a funding crisis in 5 years.
We aren't meeting funding requirements that are supposedly state mandated now. Also with Tabor, the state and cities can't hold onto any surplus from sales taxes with the ratchet down effect.

No one says that this bill is going to go for pay raises for teachers (I haven't seen one since I moved here), I just hope that my daughter's school can get into a real building instead of a modular and keep the heat at 68 degrees.

Old 10-02-2011, 01:07 PM

839 posts, read 2,416,574 times
This is a tough and complicated issue. On one hand, I think education is one of the best uses of tax dollars in terms of the over all value to society as a return on that investment.

What my concern is has more to do with just how exactly the money will be spent. Knowing a fair number of teachers and others employed by the public school system, specifically D11 in Colorado Springs, I fear a lot of it will be eaten up by administration and not go where it's most needed.

Also, as others have mentioned, these types of "temporary" increases have a nasty habit of becoming permanent. Also, the economy being what it is, I don't know if now is the best time to do it, although the argument could be made that the additional funds for schools might even create a few jobs, so it's hard to say......

As a concept, I'm fine with it. The real world implementation is where I have concerns.......

Old 10-02-2011, 03:34 PM

625 posts, read 1,389,777 times
I'm voting for it. It really just raises taxes to a rate it was at years ago, when Colorado was actually more politically conservative. I don't love taxes (especially the huge $ going into the wars at the federal level), but we under-invest in education in Colorado, and expect in-comers to bring education with them ... but there's only so many well-educated Americans to go around as we fall behind out competitors (namely, Europe) in college graduation. Quality early childhood ed in particular is sorely needed as more young children are not prepared for school and fall further behind over time; yet the job market is demanding more educated workers - both in the middle-level of skilled occupations, and in the college-educated/professional occupations.

We spend less per pupil than almost any other state.

Cutting of education during the recession IMO is quite short-sighted as the preparedness of the next generation will mean more than some stimulus $ spent on some interchange. And, teachers are solid members of the community when employed - if one wants to create jobs and get people spending $, keeping teachers employed is one of the most efficient ways to do it $ for $.

Old 10-02-2011, 04:09 PM

11,826 posts, read 34,430,278 times
Both sides debated in the Denver Post today.

Proposition 103 is a solid investment in state's future workers - The Denver Post

and Proposition 103 is about more money for the teachers union - The Denver Post

Old 10-03-2011, 02:40 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,194,526 times
Spending more money does not improve education; this has been conclusively proven. We spend more on education in the US than any other country on the planet, yet our schools are trailing the rest of the developed world miserably. I vote no.

Last edited by Bideshi; 10-03-2011 at 03:19 AM..

Old 10-03-2011, 08:07 AM

1,599 posts, read 3,117,197 times
Coming from New York, we hear this song yearly as they increase taxes every year to pay for the school budget - mostly retirement obligations for people working in the system. It's why our taxes were close to $20,000. The quality of the education hasn't changed, and arguably it has gotten worse, while educators and administrators are getting pay and retirement benefits like no one in the private sector.

I'll be voting NO, like most here in the western Slope.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado