U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How will you vote on COLO Proposition 103?
Yes, raise the taxes for 5 years. 25 44.64%
No, do not raise the taxes. 30 53.57%
No opinion / don't care. 1 1.79%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 10:42 PM

625 posts, read 1,154,667 times

Advertisements

I'll agree standards are a bit too low (I once met a college grad - who attended a good state university - who claimed the point of high school was dating and watching football ...) But I think education needs to adapt to the needs to a diverse society. We are not all going to be cogs, so the eastern European system described doesn't make the most sense. In my profession, design skills are actually very useful ... as are skills with people, management and public process. Sure, modeling and math skills are useful too, but I will never use calculus. And we will work more in teams in all disciplines, including the hard sciences.

Art and music are proven to help students do better in other areas, but should be valued for their own sake. And physical education is important - our kids are at risk of living shorter lives than their parents due to lifestyle diseases - we don't see it as much in Colorado as we are the healthiest state by some measures.

Old 11-01-2011, 05:26 PM

19,109 posts, read 9,007,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by docwatson View Post
I'll agree standards are a bit too low (I once met a college grad - who attended a good state university - who claimed the point of high school was dating and watching football ...) But I think education needs to adapt to the needs to a diverse society. We are not all going to be cogs, so the eastern European system described doesn't make the most sense. In my profession, design skills are actually very useful ... as are skills with people, management and public process. Sure, modeling and math skills are useful too, but I will never use calculus. And we will work more in teams in all disciplines, including the hard sciences.

Art and music are proven to help students do better in other areas, but should be valued for their own sake. And physical education is important - our kids are at risk of living shorter lives than their parents due to lifestyle diseases - we don't see it as much in Colorado as we are the healthiest state by some measures.
I agree with your post.

Incidentally, another new study did find that half of Coloradans are "overweight" or "obese".

Old 11-01-2011, 06:39 PM

12,106 posts, read 20,417,798 times
I got my vote in today and as I posted earlier I voted in favor of the tax hike. We should find out tonight if it passed or not.

Old 11-01-2011, 09:34 PM

704 posts, read 1,446,884 times
It looks like the big tax-hike is going down big time. Evidently, every single county in Colorado voted "no." That includes liberal Denver and Boulder counties.

That, my friends, is a very loud statement. And it may also be a sign of things to come for 2012.

Old 11-01-2011, 10:32 PM

12,106 posts, read 20,417,798 times
I have to be honest that does not surprise me. I voted for it but it was poorly written with no clear way how the money would be used.

Old 11-01-2011, 11:45 PM

Not surprised at all. Its a long shot to get money for education in CO anyway - and this tax increase seemed to come out of the blue, without a lot of campaigning for it, and was not especially modest, raising our taxes to (gasp) the 1990s pre-TABOR levels. Fort Collins was the only CO community I lived in where people readily raised their taxes for education. We'll keep relying on the sunshine to get educated people from the coasts to move here!

Old 11-01-2011, 11:51 PM

16,438 posts, read 18,589,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by docwatson View Post
We'll keep relying on the sunshine to get educated people from the coasts to move here!
I hope I missed the humor in a joke and that you're not serious. Public schools in California or New Jersey are not better than Colorado's by any measure.

Old 11-02-2011, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
I hope I missed the humor in a joke and that you're not serious. Public schools in California or New Jersey are not better than Colorado's by any measure.
Ha! Just being a little facetious. But, just for more humor, I did decide to look up test scores, not that they indicate quality of schools, but, hey they're easily comparable which is I guess why the government likes them. Yes, Colorado fares pretty well. Sure, New England has us beat, but not by much, and we're right up there with Jersey. I think there was an article some years ago talking about how many of the people (future parents) moving to Colorado had college degrees.

One thing that surprised me is how the gaps among states have closed over the last ten years, leading me to conclude our kids are getting better at taking tests ...

And, I'd hate to compare to California. California's penchant for funding prisons over schools was one reason I decided not to settle there.

Overall, I've been satisfied with the quality of schools in Fort Collins, the one community I would have any knowledge of.

Old 11-02-2011, 01:21 AM

399 posts, read 670,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DXM1 View Post
@Sob

"Extensive hours of studying will do nothing for a student if they are being taught in way they do not understand the concept. You can spend your every waking hour jamming information into a child's head but if they can't apply those concepts when it doesn't fit one of the 1000 problems you've made them practice, how else do you expect to hold their hand?"

Wrong. That is the whole point of studying alone. A student eventually figures out how they best learn on their own. That is precisely my point and why your school system is failing. Your students get as you say "one fits all" education in school.
I STOPPED reading after that sentence. You did not read my post at all. Thanks for trying to sound superior though.

You obviously did not read my post or completely missed the point. Please reread and try to comprehend as you're basically repeating most of my points.

Old 11-02-2011, 07:51 AM

1,600 posts, read 2,688,953 times
Thank goodness this measure failed miserably. Good riddance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado