U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How will you vote on COLO Proposition 103?
Yes, raise the taxes for 5 years. 25 44.64%
No, do not raise the taxes. 30 53.57%
No opinion / don't care. 1 1.79%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 08:50 AM

2,181 posts, read 5,437,657 times

Advertisements

Yeah, I've been reading the comments over on the Denver Post website. Apparently I 'hate' teachers, children/college students, and education in general because I voted against this initiative. And I'm stupid. The thing is, as I understand it, this initiative wouldn't have done anything to help the budget issues LONG TERM, so I'm sure in 5 years, we would have received the same old 'lack of funding' sob story, along with a plea to keep taxes at those levels for 5 more years.

I could have possibly supported an initiative that was bolder or more meaningful, or something that made a better attempt at a longer term solution.

Old 11-02-2011, 09:15 AM

1,742 posts, read 2,628,549 times
The voters did the right thing. :-)

Old 11-02-2011, 10:43 AM

12,106 posts, read 20,417,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyxjon View Post
Yeah, I've been reading the comments over on the Denver Post website. Apparently I 'hate' teachers, children/college students, and education in general because I voted against this initiative. And I'm stupid. The thing is, as I understand it, this initiative wouldn't have done anything to help the budget issues LONG TERM, so I'm sure in 5 years, we would have received the same old 'lack of funding' sob story, along with a plea to keep taxes at those levels for 5 more years.

I could have possibly supported an initiative that was bolder or more meaningful, or something that made a better attempt at a longer term solution.
People who post on newspaper pages are usually radical (right or left) and I would not take them seriously. I voted for it but I can understand why people voted against it and it does not surprise me that it failed.

Old 11-02-2011, 10:55 AM

1,742 posts, read 2,628,549 times
I don't think this would have passed in any state right now, not just CO. RP

Old 11-02-2011, 10:58 AM

874 posts, read 928,664 times
You know, I'm not surprised in the least that it failed as it was quite low-key, somewhat ambiguous in its wording, and was not a long-term solution to the structural fiscal issues the state faces. I'm also not that sure that K-12 needs to be funded any more than it is.

Where I'm really disappointed is the failure of 103 to impact the funding of higher education. CO is truly abysmal in this regard with its higher education institutions woefully underfunded and where we truly are relying on the sunshine to bring in an educated workforce.

Old 11-02-2011, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wong21fr View Post
Where I'm really disappointed is the failure of 103 to impact the funding of higher education. CO is truly abysmal in this regard with its higher education institutions woefully underfunded and where we truly are relying on the sunshine to bring in an educated workforce.

I completely agree with you on this. If Colorado does not do something about the funding of higher education the state might have to close down a few colleges like Mesa University or Western State or Adams State. This is not really being talked about publicly but behind closed doors that is defiantly a fear.

Keep in mind I say this as one of the "optimistic" posters on city data.

Old 11-02-2011, 12:56 PM

2,181 posts, read 5,437,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
I completely agree with you on this. If Colorado does not do something about the funding of higher education the state might have to close down a few colleges like Mesa University or Western State or Adams State. This is not really being talked about publicly but behind closed doors that is defiantly a fear.

Keep in mind I say this as one of the "optimistic" posters on city data.
Wouldn't they cut programs that have low enrollment first?

I'm not saying that education funding isn't an issue, but sometimes I think people get a bit hysterical about it. I would think that other options would be considered first, like cutting degree programs that have low enrollment, etc. I know the issue really isn't THAT simple, but I would think there are still areas where money can be saved, even if hard decisions need to be made.

Old 11-02-2011, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyxjon View Post
Wouldn't they cut programs that have low enrollment first?

I'm not saying that education funding isn't an issue, but sometimes I think people get a bit hysterical about it. I would think that other options would be considered first, like cutting degree programs that have low enrollment, etc. I know the issue really isn't THAT simple, but I would think there are still areas where money can be saved, even if hard decisions need to be made.
Of course and that is why you don't hear anyone talking about closing colleges publicly. That being said the funding for higher education in this state is dismal at best and there is only so much you can cut before you actually have to close down the colleges that are not performing as good as other ones. Personally I think that is why you see universities like CSU Pueblo and Mesa University doing all they can to be a major university so they are less likely to be the college that is closed in case it comes to that. This measure would have done little to help that and I hope in the future the state does more with a specific ballot proposal directly benefiting higher education in the state.

Old 11-02-2011, 02:18 PM

1,706 posts, read 2,937,059 times
Of course I'm disappointed. But I do believe that the bill writers shot themselves in the foot when they weren't specific on how this money would directly help schools.

What I find frustrating is that there are communities that do value education and feel that spending money on it is reasonable (i.e. Cheyenne Mtn 12) and approved their ballot measures, while others won't help make up the difference from what the state continually takes away.

Old 11-02-2011, 06:32 PM

32,982 posts, read 30,245,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
I vote no too.

Throwing money at problems don't make them go away. This is how we ultimately end up with states like California and Michigan.
Yep, San Diego is the poster child, ENRON by the sea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado