Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2013, 04:23 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,471,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
^^^^Sounds like driving in the snow just about anywhere! Nothing unusual or unique about this. I encountered the same thing even in Anchorage Alaska of all places. Must be some archaic trait of human nature not to realize that snow is slippery.
No, it is the result of an often near-complete lack of training to teach people how to drive properly in winter conditions. I've long been a strong advocate of requiring drivers in places like Colorado to demonstrate some minimum competence in driving in winter conditions before they are issued a driver's license. That would likely weed a bunch of nincompoops out of the driving pool, and likely lower auto insurance rates for everybody.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2013, 04:27 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,038,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
No, it is the result of an often near-complete lack of training to teach people how to drive properly in winter conditions. I've long been a strong advocate of requiring drivers in places like Colorado to demonstrate some minimum competence in driving in winter conditions before they are issued a driver's license. That would likely weed a bunch of nincompoops out of the driving pool, and likely lower auto insurance rates for everybody.
Your version of Sharia Law, Colorado style.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 03-24-2013, 05:18 PM

2,253 posts, read 6,986,183 times
Wink Law of nature

I do not know about Sharia law, but those that exceed posted speed limits EVEN on snow packed roads are more than idiots.

Then someone exhibiting a willful disregard for the law, common sense, and physics. With the latter at least surely catching up to them in time (and preferably when on their own, and to that effect only).

Old 03-25-2013, 11:34 AM

431 posts, read 982,420 times
In Germany it can take months of classes and training along with a several hundred question test to get your drivers license, not to mention costing hundreds to thousands of dollars. USA only has less than 50 questions and a 10 minute test and costs under $20. It's no wonder roads are filled with idiots who can't drive. Just listen to the traffic report at 5pm, it's full of accidents all over town.

Old 08-05-2015, 04:33 PM

1 posts, read 1,335 times
Has anyone driving a Honda Civic Hybrid (year 2006) ever had problems crossing the higher elevations of the Rockies on I-70? We're heading that way next week eastbound and I understand the elevation around the Eisenhower Tunnel is around 11,000 ft. The Civic Hybrid has a battery assist (IMA) and I've heard stories about the battery shutting down on long climbs.
Thanks for your feedback!

Old 08-07-2015, 06:13 AM

531 posts, read 1,146,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkfahrer View Post
Has anyone driving a Honda Civic Hybrid (year 2006) ever had problems crossing the higher elevations of the Rockies on I-70? We're heading that way next week eastbound and I understand the elevation around the Eisenhower Tunnel is around 11,000 ft. The Civic Hybrid has a battery assist (IMA) and I've heard stories about the battery shutting down on long climbs.
Thanks for your feedback!
Should be no problem at all. Even if the battery runs out of juice (which it probably will, you have some big hills to climb), the 93 HP motor will be more than enough to get that little car up and over the hills.

Eisenhower-Johnson tunnel is at 10,666ft in elevation, followed immediately by Vail Pass which summits at 10,662ft in elevation.

Enjoy the scenery.

Old 08-07-2015, 09:03 AM

670 posts, read 1,172,666 times
The tunnels are at 11,155' https://www.codot.gov/travel/eisenhower-tunnel

Old 08-07-2015, 11:02 AM

531 posts, read 1,146,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipchik View Post
Thanks, I don't know where I got my number from anymore, but it was clearly wrong.

Old 08-07-2015, 04:26 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,122,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechMike View Post
Should be no problem at all. Even if the battery runs out of juice (which it probably will, you have some big hills to climb), the 93 HP motor will be more than enough to get that little car up and over the hills.

Eisenhower-Johnson tunnel is at 10,666ft in elevation, followed immediately by Vail Pass which summits at 10,662ft in elevation.

Enjoy the scenery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipchik View Post

Actually the elevation at the east end is: 11,013 feet and 11,158 feet on the west side resulting in a grade of 1.64% over the length of 1.69 miles.

Back in the 1960's and 1970's (pre-tunnel days) about three days before the opening of elk/deer season over on the 'west slope' , I used to load up my 4 horse trailer with w/ 4 horses and my hunting buddy and I would go over the continental divide on Rt 6 (Loveland Pass/11,991 feet) pulling that trailer with my 4WD P.U. (usually 'chained-up' on all 4 wheels) and praying we didn't have any "trouble" up on top!

...The Good Old Days.

Old 10-14-2015, 08:24 PM

1 posts, read 1,119 times
Oh gee!! I feel better about moving to Western Colorado ~ thinking of owning a winter & summer place now! Holy crap! Just got back from Western Colorado via Grand Junction to Denver Airport & I wasn't even doing the driving on I-70.. Going to the Western slopes was Double dose of Valium & triple martini time. The way back to airport was easier. That was September. What if we stay home in western CO.. How's the little roads near Cedaredge in the middle of winter?? Help me help myself! Does weed really help? Seriously!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado