Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2011, 12:56 PM

2 posts, read 3,578 times

Advertisements

Hi, my car is currently titled to my mother who used to live in Illinois and just moved to Colorado. So the car now needs to be registered in CO and she wants me to take title.
I live in Broomfield and the car is a '96 Nissan maxima(originally about 16,000).
So I need to know how much the title change, license plate, registration, sticker is? Are the license plate and sticker included in the registration or are they additional. Also
I know it needs to get emissions tested, there's not a charge for that too is there?
Thanks for the help. I'm trying to budget how much this is going to cost me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2011, 01:20 PM

2,394 posts, read 5,000,636 times
You have to pay sales tax on it, registration and the emissions costs extra also. The fees in CO are pretty absurd, I paid about 700-800$ to title change/register a 98 Mustang Cobra earlier this year. I think emissions is like 20-25$ also (check/cash).

I imagine you will pay considerably less since for that vehicle though

Old 10-17-2011, 01:56 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,473,840 times
You iwll need an emission test and a VIN inspection to register the vehicle in Colorado. Since you are changing title from your mother to you, your mother will also have to fill out a bill of sale and an odometer statement. You MAY be able to not have to pay sales tax if you can prove that the transfer is among immediate family members. The best thing for you to do, though, is call the county clerk in Broomfield County and ask them the question directly, rather than rely on information (much of it likely inaccurate) on an internet forum.

Old 10-18-2011, 11:08 AM

2,957 posts, read 8,376,785 times
Be prepared to take it in the you know what. Colorado's vehicle registration prices are ridiculously high, about 4 times as much as other states. For some reason, Colorado seems to think that cars are somehow real estate, and charge you an "ownership tax" as if it's a house.

Cost to register my truck in Ohio, $49.50
Cost in Colorado? $218.66.
WTH!?

Old 10-18-2011, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanek9freak View Post
Be prepared to take it in the you know what. Colorado's vehicle registration prices are ridiculously high, about 4 times as much as other states. For some reason, Colorado seems to think that cars are somehow real estate, and charge you an "ownership tax" as if it's a house.

Cost to register my truck in Ohio, $49.50
Cost in Colorado? $218.66.
WTH!?
Not to rain on your parade, but many states levy what amounts to a personal property tax on vehicles--it is by no means unique to Colorado. Some states have dirt cheap license plates, but send a separate personal property tax bill for the vehicle property tax. I don't know whether they still do, but Kansas, as one example, used to do this.

If you want to blame someone for the high vehicle fees in Colorado, blame the land developers who have built far-flung sprawl all over the state and socialized the costs of the roads to serve them onto the public. It is the maintenance of all of that which has driven the need for revenue for road maintenance. It's just another example of how population growth has not paid its own way in Colorado, and the costs of it are remorselessly socialized on existing Colorado taxpayers.

Old 10-18-2011, 12:52 PM

2,957 posts, read 8,376,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
Not to rain on your parade, but many states levy what amounts to a personal property tax on vehicles--it is by no means unique to Colorado. Some states have dirt cheap license plates, but send a separate personal property tax bill for the vehicle property tax. I don't know whether they still do, but Kansas, as one example, used to do this.

If you want to blame someone for the high vehicle fees in Colorado, blame the land developers who have built far-flung sprawl all over the state and socialized the costs of the roads to serve them onto the public. It is the maintenance of all of that which has driven the need for revenue for road maintenance. It's just another example of how population growth has not paid its own way in Colorado, and the costs of it are remorselessly socialized on existing Colorado taxpayers.
So what's Ohio's excuse then? The population density is 5 times what it is in Colorado, yet somehow they manage to get by with a flat registration fee for all cars and trucks. $39.50 for cars, $49.50 for trucks under 3/4 ton.

I realize a lot of states are like Colorado, but a lot of them are not either.

Old 10-18-2011, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanek9freak View Post
So what's Ohio's excuse then? The population density is 5 times what it is in Colorado, yet somehow they manage to get by with a flat registration fee for all cars and trucks. $39.50 for cars, $49.50 for trucks under 3/4 ton.
Probably through high property tax rates and/or high income tax rates. One always has to look at the total tax mix for a state to determine what one's total tax burden is. For example, when I lived in Wyoming, their vehicle license fees were higher than Colorado's--particularly on older vehicles. But, Wyoming has no personal or corporate income tax, nor were their sales tax rates nor property tax rates much different than Colorado's, overall. How did they do that? Well, in Wyoming, 75% of the tax burden for state and local government was borne by the minerals industry. And, there is the fact that state and local government in Wyoming only has to serve just over 500,000 residents, not 5 million like Colorado does. Of course, someday, when Wyoming's mineral resources are exhausted, Wyoming will see a big decline in what the minerals industry pays in taxes. Unlike Colorado, though, Wyoming law allows it to accumulate revenue in the Permanent Minerals Trust Fund, which will give the state an ongoing stream of revenue from interest income long after the minerals industry revenues decline. Of course, the down side of that minerals decline will be that probably one-third of the Wyoming population will wind up leaving the state because those jobs will be gone.

If you want to live in a low tax state, find one (like Wyoming) with a lot of industry or natural resources that form a high tax base, combined with a relatively low population demanding government services. Colorado used to fit that description to a tee, but population growth that hasn't paid for itself, a shrinking industrial tax base, and a "nanny state" mentality in an increasing percentage of the population (many of that group transplants from other "nanny states" like California--sorry, but it's the truth) has wrecked Colorado's status as a low-tax state--probably for good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado