U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 08:41 AM

7,756 posts, read 16,496,039 times

Advertisements

Double H wrote:
The downtown area isn't far at all, probably a five minute drive.
Or about a 15 to 20 minute walk. I've walked by there on many occassions going from the Kanah Creek Brewery to my car parked downtown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2011, 12:25 PM

12,105 posts, read 20,415,686 times
That is kind of far. To bad they did not build a new stadium in downtown.

Old 10-20-2011, 12:37 PM

There is no need for a new stadium. The renovations to the existing stadium is giving us a much bigger bang for the bucks being spent.

Old 10-20-2011, 01:14 PM

I think in the end GJ would of got more bang for their buck if they built a new stadium in downtown where the thousands of people can dine and go out after the game. Much like people do in Denver at LODO.

Old 10-20-2011, 01:21 PM

I believe the vast majority of those who come to see a game in Grand Junction will have no problem getting in their cars to make a 3-5 minute drive to a downtown restaurant, OR they can go to one of the eateries in the immediate area of the stadium. IMO, a new stadium would be a waste of taxpayer money. GJ already has a decent stadium. Even as a lifelong baseball fan I would vote AGAINST a new stadium if it ever comes up.

Old 10-20-2011, 01:31 PM

Look at downtown Denver versus downtown Colorado Springs. The synergy of having Coors Field, along with the convention center etc, in one area has made its downtown one of the best in the country. Right now GJ is at the moment when they will be deciding their future and keep in mind its the growing hub city for the western slope. Its very exciting and if I was a resident I would be all about trying to get GJ to have the same kind of synergy Denver has versus the diffused synergy the Springs has as GJ has the potential to have one of the best downtown's for a city of its size in the country. I am not sure where Two Rivers Convention Center is but I think its in downtown so if they build a nice small ballpark the thousands of people going to downtown every day will cause that area to just blossom by 2020. That would be something to crow about. Sure in the short run it might cost more money but in the long run the ROI would be well worth it.

Old 10-21-2011, 06:37 PM

12,851 posts, read 23,320,790 times
Yeah, but going to a MiLB game is different than going to a MLB game.

Minors games are cheap, have small/polite crowds, and are a genuine family experience -- not the place for overgrown frat boys to go and get trashed and then stumble from bar to bar afterwards.

I used to attend A-ball games in Everett, Washington. The field was alone in a neighborhood next to the city's high school football stadium. There was/is nothing nearby; the purpose of the park was to enjoy the park, and go home. And it worked fine. Grand Junction would probably be best suited to have a similar situation.

This is GJ's first (latest?) foray into MiLB, and the team is at the lowest of the low levels. Before it makes any wildly-presumed ventures into becoming a AAAish city, the city/area needs to support its Rookie level club first. The other clubs in the league represent cities of similar size and stature relative to their respective mini-regions.

Old 10-21-2011, 06:53 PM

20,378 posts, read 37,934,905 times
David, right on the money. We've been to many MiLB games here in COLO SPGS and it is as you describe. The players will talk to you before, DURING, and after the game, hand you their broken bats, etc. They give away so much stuff at some game that you come away with stuff that costs more than the price of your ticket. One give-away I thought was really cool was the bread night, when you could walk away with a dozen loaves and either freeze them or take them to one of the charities around town.

They brought in comedian (Myron Noodleman) who looks like Jerry Lewis' "absent minded professor." He was a SCREAM and you won't see him at a MLB park. He worked between many of the innings and was worth the ticket price of $9 ($7 military). They have quite a few fireworks nights too, at no extra charge.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 10-22-2011, 12:45 AM

I understand that it will not have the same kind of attendance as the Colorado Rockies do in Denver. Then again it does not have to as Grand Junction's downtown is smaller. If they can average a couple thousand people a game, many of them families who will go out to eat before, it could really help boost the economy of downtown Grand Junction. Maybe that is the urbanist in me but I think there are certain amenities that belong in downtown's and baseball parks are one of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado