U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 10-18-2011, 05:39 PM
 
Location: Republic Of South Africa
1 posts, read 1,374 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

I just want to ask from you over there, I am in South Africa, which religion is dominating in Colorado?

 
Old 10-18-2011, 07:28 PM
 
Location: The 719
13,632 posts, read 21,483,824 times
Reputation: 13286
Most of them seem pretty passive actually.
 
Old 10-18-2011, 07:36 PM
 
Location: Everywhere and Nowhere
14,131 posts, read 26,246,015 times
Reputation: 6815
I'll take a guess and say like the country as a whole, Catholicism.
 
Old 10-18-2011, 11:29 PM
 
Location: Bend, OR
1,337 posts, read 2,679,395 times
Reputation: 839
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
I'll take a guess and say like the country as a whole, Catholicism.
You are correct in type, but wrong in denomination.

Religion in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"The majority of Americans (76%) identify themselves as Christians, mostly within Protestant and Catholic denominations, accounting for 51% and 25% of the population respectively."

Honest question CAVA: Why did you believe Catholicism was the major denomination in the USA?
 
Old 10-19-2011, 11:05 AM
 
20,304 posts, read 37,784,136 times
Reputation: 18081
In the Wiki link, it shows Catholic as 23.9% and "Evangelical Protestant" (EP) as 26.3% which is so close it hardly matters. If we break out the EP group into it's components (Baptist, Lutheran, Methodist, Presbyterian, etc) than the Catholic religion would be single largest doctrine. I know from experience that our Baptist preacher viewed Methodism as a totally separate doctrine that did not match the Baptist teachings.

I found a list of about 160 EP denominations here, most I've never heard of, but the length of the list surprised me.

All that being said, the Catholics are the SINGLE largest denomination in the nation and I'd say that COLO generally mirrors the national numbers, maybe more so with such a large Hispanic population compared to eastern states.
__________________
- Please follow our TOS.
- Any Questions about City-Data? See the FAQ list.
- Want some detailed instructions on using the site? See The Guide for plain english explanation.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
 
Old 10-19-2011, 11:15 AM
 
Location: Denver, Colorado U.S.A.
14,174 posts, read 22,492,358 times
Reputation: 10428
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
In the Wiki link, it shows Catholic as 23.9% and "Evangelical Protestant" (EP) as 26.3% which is so close it hardly matters. If we break out the EP group into it's components (Baptist, Lutheran, Methodist, Presbyterian, etc) than the Catholic religion would be single largest doctrine. I know from experience that our Baptist preacher viewed Methodism as a totally separate doctrine that did not match the Baptist teachings.

I found a list of about 160 EP denominations here, most I've never heard of, but the length of the list surprised me.

All that being said, the Catholics are the SINGLE largest denomination in the nation and I'd say that COLO generally mirrors the national numbers, maybe more so with such a large Hispanic population compared to eastern states.
I'm Presbyterian and we're not considered "evangelical", but rather "Mainline Protestant", along with Methodist, Lutherans, and Episcopalians.

But either way, everyone else is going to hell
 
Old 10-19-2011, 11:28 AM
 
20,304 posts, read 37,784,136 times
Reputation: 18081
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I'm Presbyterian and we're not considered "evangelical", but rather "Mainline Protestant", along with Methodist, Lutherans, and Episcopalians.

But either way, everyone else is going to hell
That was pretty much the take of our Baptist preacher, i.e., he'd preach about once a month why the other groups weren't getting into heaven, rationale such as:
- Methodists do "good works" but the bible says "not by works alone."
- Pentecostals "talk in tongues" but the bible says that is wrong.
- Catholics drink and the bible says to not "go around drunk."
- We Baptists go by "the word" and by following "the word" we Baptists are the only ones getting into the kingdom of heaven. I recall stories about one Baptist church in Falls Church, VA which would not let a man be a deacon because he drove a beer truck for a living.

Needless to say, I got tired of that "holier than thou" stuff in short order.

I'm not sure what the OP is concerned about, but our main religions are widespread in the USA and their is no violence between the groups as there is in other parts of the world. America is a "live and let live" kind of place where all religions are tolerated, accepted and nourished.
__________________
- Please follow our TOS.
- Any Questions about City-Data? See the FAQ list.
- Want some detailed instructions on using the site? See The Guide for plain english explanation.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
 
Old 10-19-2011, 11:38 AM
 
Location: Denver, Colorado U.S.A.
14,174 posts, read 22,492,358 times
Reputation: 10428
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
That was pretty much the take of our Baptist preacher, i.e., he'd preach about once a month why the other groups weren't getting into heaven, rationale such as:
- Methodists do "good works" but the bible says "not by works alone."
- Pentecostals "talk in tongues" but the bible says that is wrong.
- Catholics drink and the bible says to not "go around drunk."
- We Baptists go by "the word" and by following "the word" we Baptists are the only ones getting into the kingdom of heaven. I recall stories about one Baptist church in Falls Church, VA which would not let a man be a deacon because he drove a beer truck for a living.

Needless to say, I got tired of that "holier than thou" stuff in short order.

I'm not sure what the OP is concerned about, but our main religions are widespread in the USA and their is no violence between the groups as there is in other parts of the world. America is a "live and let live" kind of place where all religions are tolerated, accepted and nourished.
lol! I remember some joke from a long time ago- forgot the actual joke, but the punch line was God saying, "Shhh... those are the Baptists on the other side of the wall. They think they're the only ones up here".
 
Old 10-19-2011, 12:44 PM
 
874 posts, read 923,161 times
Reputation: 1013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evangelist NE Raphasha View Post
I just want to ask from you over there, I am in South Africa, which religion is dominating in Colorado?
Broncoism of course. On Sunday's the faithful flock to the mighty cathedral and pray for salvation through victory.
 
Old 10-19-2011, 12:44 PM
 
Location: Colorado
2,561 posts, read 4,867,738 times
Reputation: 2219
Have had more than a few Buddhist friends in Boulder over the years. Boulder has a pretty large and active Buddhist community. Naropa University, Boulder, Colorado - Buddhist Inspired Contemplative Education Myself, I was raised assembly line protestant and have been practically skipping to Hell since my Christian elementary school days.

Last edited by Scott5280; 10-19-2011 at 12:53 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top