Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 10:19 PM

5 posts, read 18,579 times

Advertisements

I am wanting to move to CO after I graduate college within the next year and had no idea that there were so many towns in CO. I will be on my own with a cat and really dont know where to go. I dont want busy, and large amount of traffic. I am a recreation graduate and enjoy beautiful scenery.I dont want to have to drive far for attractions or stores for example but wouldnt mind a little drive.With that said, what are some pretty towns in CO, that a single girl could make a living and find a good job?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2010, 10:03 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,862,536 times
Paging jazzlover...

Old 10-05-2010, 12:14 PM

3,296 posts, read 9,685,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Paging jazzlover...
Too funny!

OP, not exactly sure what a "recreation student" is... what did you get your degree in? Outdoor recreation management or ???

Anyways, at this point, as a new college graduate I wouldn't narrow my search down to a few towns in Colorado, but rather look for the job and let that narrow your search.

Old 10-05-2010, 02:55 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,463,282 times
Translation:

"I want to live someplace that is absolutelyl beautiful, do a really fun job, get paid well, have dirt cheap living costs, and lots of time and immediate availability of recreation right out my back door."

I have two words: Not happening.

If you want more detail, read my umpteen posts on the "Paradise Syndrome" and why it never works for most people--and almost never works over the long term.

PS-- I'd like to marry a lady who has a big fortune, looks like Heidi Klum, cooks like Julia Child, spends money on herself like Ebinezer Scrooge, thinks I am beyond perfect, and absolutely worships the ground I walk on. Nice dream, but I will get old (and dead) before that ever happens. Same with the OP's dream. Nice dream, but not happening the way she would like it to--probably not ever, but especially not now.

Old 10-05-2010, 03:33 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,452,401 times
^

Don't listen to him there are a of great cities in Colorado from Pueblo to Fort Collins on the front range and from Grand Junction to Durango on the western slope and some great mountain towns and some towns on the plains that are nice. In fact Colorado is one those states that has something for most people and that is why it is growing so fast.

Old 10-05-2010, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
What do you do?
How much do you make?
Where to you want to live?
Married?
Kids?
Buying a house? How much down payment?
Criminal Record?

Answers to these questions, please.
As of right now, I am a college student getting my bachlors in Sports Fitness and Leisure studies. I am 22, single and at the time jobless.I dont know where i want to live i need help finding that out.I will probably start with an apt but id love to be somewhere with a little house just for me and my cat with great scenery.I have no criminal record.

Old 10-05-2010, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delta07 View Post
Too funny!

OP, not exactly sure what a "recreation student" is... what did you get your degree in? Outdoor recreation management or ???

Anyways, at this point, as a new college graduate I wouldn't narrow my search down to a few towns in Colorado, but rather look for the job and let that narrow your search.
Well the degree is Sports Fitness and Leisure Studies with an emphasis on recreation. If that helps.I understand about the letting the job opptunity narrow my search but I live in Texas and im worried about finding the apt, the town, the job, etc.Im new at this and dont really know how to go about moving into a new state with nothing there, ya know.

Old 10-05-2010, 07:28 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,301,938 times
If you just want to bum around, you can do that anywhere...

If you're looking for a job, probably best to stay where you are (or nearby towns/cities) and exploit your school's career center and alumni connections as much as possible. Or move to where you have family (if that's not Abilene, TX) where at least you'll have some support to fall back on.

The only place in Colorado that's a viable option for most people job & career wise is Denver (the metro area). But even here, that doesn't mean someone can just show up to town with no marketable skills, no connections, no money, and expect to find gainful employment.

If you have some savings that can get you by for a while and a family you could fall back on, you can always try to move to your dream spot in CO (or wherever that may be) and see if you can make it within a reasonable amount of time. Then at least you'll know you tried. But if you don't have that cushion, then I'd stick with a sensible, conservative approach.

Old 10-05-2010, 08:22 PM

3,296 posts, read 9,685,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blac3578 View Post
Well the degree is Sports Fitness and Leisure Studies with an emphasis on recreation. If that helps.I understand about the letting the job opptunity narrow my search but I live in Texas and im worried about finding the apt, the town, the job, etc.Im new at this and dont really know how to go about moving into a new state with nothing there, ya know.
That does help. For me, I assumed a degree in recreation was for Outdoor Rec. Management, as I attended Colorado State U. and studied in the Department of Natural Resources, which had this degree.

I understand your thought process and approach as a new graduate, but I can tell you from experience it doesn't always work out that way. Honestly, it's really best to put your resume out there to as many places as you can and hope you get hired as a new grad. What direction do you plan to take with your degree? Are you wanting to teach PE or run a community recreation center or something else? All of these things can help you to narrow your search.

I don't necessarily agree with Vegaspilgrim on sticking around your college town to exploit alumni resources and career centers. You can certainly start there, but if your college town is like most others, it's hard to find a job in your chosen field. Talk with your career center and college adviser to find out what companies are hiring in your field. Start researching those options and see if you can get some leads.

If you are really wanting help narrowing your search to specific Colorado locations, you probably need to give us a little more information regarding your interests, income level, etc. Just saying you want to move to Colorado and live in an apt. with your cat doesn't really help. Are you willing to work a minimum wage (or less) job while searching for the right career that may or may not be where you decide to live?

Old 10-05-2010, 08:44 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,301,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta07 View Post
I don't necessarily agree with Vegaspilgrim on sticking around your college town to exploit alumni resources and career centers. You can certainly start there, but if your college town is like most others, it's hard to find a job in your chosen field. Talk with your career center and college adviser to find out what companies are hiring in your field. Start researching those options and see if you can get some leads.
Sure, the OP can try to find a job in her field, but jobs relating directly to "recreation and leisure studies" might not even exist right now. Colleges pump out tons of new grads every year in "fields" that don't necessarily have any job market at all. I meant using any and all local resources to find employment, period, even if it's a totally unrelated field-- like business to business sales, for example (doesn't have to be that, just throwing it out there as an example).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado