U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2011, 09:51 AM

77 posts, read 130,952 times

Advertisements

From what I've been reading, an alternative to Durango would be Pagosa Springs. I've got a buddy who lives there too, so thats a bonus.

Anywho, from what I've been reading, the Durango economy is actually in better shape than Pagosa Springs, and the job market is also a bit better in Durango.

Anybody from Pagosa Springs with a word on how the economy/rent/jobs look in Pagosa? Reading statistics doesn't seem like it'd be good to rely on before making a move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2011, 10:25 AM

20,308 posts, read 37,797,930 times
Your buddy with his boots on the ground down there is your best source of info, as stats are hard to come by and even harder to decode. No matter who we listen to most of what we hear is hearsay and/or biased by underlying sentiment. Best if you can go there and see for yourself.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 10-22-2011, 10:30 AM

8,317 posts, read 25,099,702 times
The Pagosa Springs economy has, for years, been driven by real estate development and little else. That market is DEAD--my prediction is that it will be in a coma for years, if it ever recovers. I've been through there three times in the last two months on business (and will be again within the next month) and the place is a forest of real estate "For Sale" signs. As an example, I know people who moved from there 5 years ago because their jobs evaporated. They still have not their sold home there and it has been unrented for over a year now. Pagosa is a pretty area, but like almost all of rural Colorado, it is a generally lousy place to try to make a living out of the local economy. The people who do OK are the ones who bring their income or wealth from someplace else. Pretty much the same is true of Durango. Whatever benefits there are from having more jobs available in Durango is more than eaten up by the higher housing and real estate costs, and because way too many people fall in love with the place, move there and then compete savagely for every scrap of a job that is available.

If I was set on actually making a living in that area, I would probably live in Farmington/Aztec in New Mexico--neither a "garden spot" to be sure, but much more affordable and economically stable--get a job in the gas industry that actually will pay pretty well, and content myself with being an 1 to 2 hour drive from what the San Juans have to offer. That choice usually doesn't square with the fools who get seduced by the "Paradise Syndrome" and move to places like Durango, etc., but the hard truth is that most of them only last a few years in "paradise" before their money runs out and they have to move back to "the world" someplace to make a living.

Old 10-22-2011, 05:12 PM

276 posts, read 583,657 times
Pagosa Springs is filled with a lot of hippies and, well, alot of people who are proud to live in mobile home parks. I consider Durango a much better alternative.

Old 10-23-2011, 10:57 AM

169 posts, read 318,250 times
[quote=jazzlover;21390376]
That choice usually doesn't square with the fools who get seduced by the "Paradise Syndrome" and move to places like Durango, etc.,

You were being so diplomatic but, as usual, your old man side reared its ugly head with the "fools" comment. It's not enough for you to disagree with someone, you HAVE to make it personal. How horrible must your upbringing have been that you feel the need to denigrate those with which you disagree? But since that is your preferred choice of communication I'll respond in a manner that you can understand. Do you prefer to be called "racist", or "out of touch?"

Old 10-23-2011, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseQ View Post
From what I've been reading, an alternative to Durango would be Pagosa Springs. I've got a buddy who lives there too, so thats a bonus.

Anywho, from what I've been reading, the Durango economy is actually in better shape than Pagosa Springs, and the job market is also a bit better in Durango.

Anybody from Pagosa Springs with a word on how the economy/rent/jobs look in Pagosa? Reading statistics doesn't seem like it'd be good to rely on before making a move.
OP, I think that the population difference alone between the two towns would make finding a job easier in Durango. We considered PS ourselves but it was just too small. Beautiful, but limited opportunities. For reference, the hospital is tiny in PS as compared to Durango. Nothing scientific, but I assume this example is a microcosm of what you would find across the board when comparing the two. Hope this helps.

Old 10-24-2011, 09:23 AM

8,317 posts, read 25,099,702 times
[quote=VenusAllen;21400939]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
That choice usually doesn't square with the fools who get seduced by the "Paradise Syndrome" and move to places like Durango, etc.,

You were being so diplomatic but, as usual, your old man side reared its ugly head with the "fools" comment. It's not enough for you to disagree with someone, you HAVE to make it personal. How horrible must your upbringing have been that you feel the need to denigrate those with which you disagree? But since that is your preferred choice of communication I'll respond in a manner that you can understand. Do you prefer to be called "racist", or "out of touch?"
I'm a whole lot more "in touch" with the rural Colorado economy than most since my work involves analyzing it pretty much on a daily basis. So much for that. Racist? That's a laugh. Some of my best friends are not "Anglo." As for being foolish, or being a "fool," that is pretty much non-discriminatory--anybody can be a member of that club if they so choose. I choose not to be.

Old 10-24-2011, 10:41 AM

[quote=jazzlover;21412392]
Quote:
Originally Posted by VenusAllen View Post
I choose not to be.
If I ran this as a poll question, how do you think you'd fare?

Old 10-25-2011, 06:08 AM

1,778 posts, read 3,479,886 times
Some of us would move there just to have the wide open beautiful spaces and of course DO NOT need a job. Retirement would be wonderful I think. I am not a fool, I realize most problems like medical. I've spent enough time in Pagosa, Chama, Trinidad.

Old 10-25-2011, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by debbie at bouontiful View Post
Some of us would move there just to have the wide open beautiful spaces and of course DO NOT need a job. Retirement would be wonderful I think. I am not a fool, I realize most problems like medical. I've spent enough time in Pagosa, Chama, Trinidad.
We should start a club, Debbie: "Fools, and proud of it."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado