U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2006, 04:54 PM

393 posts, read 1,712,727 times

Advertisements

Ocean!
If u and your wife like Fort Collins and decide to move there, can u swing thru Greensboro and pick me up? LOL..........I love to drive!!! LOL ITS ON YOUR WAY RIGHT? rofl
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2006, 10:22 PM

29 posts, read 151,420 times
I find I miss CO very much. I lived in Lakewood from '71 - '81 as a kid and am now taking a look at moving back. But since I am open to other towns in CO, I stumbled on this thread. Thanks for the info. Things have changed A LOT since '81 so I feel like I am starting from sratch.

Ironic that the Triangle area of NC was on my short list too :-)

Old 09-29-2006, 01:32 AM

171 posts, read 769,144 times
Default How'd we get here.

Hi All
It's so ironic, how did we all get to have NC and CO on our short list? How is it that they are comparable and yet so different, at least weather wise?

Help. Sillygal, why are you wanting to leave NC and why are you wanting to stay? I am from Southern CA and for me I suppose alot of it comes down to weather. My husband is originally from MI so he can do any weather, but I suppose my fear is driving in CO snow/blizzard Tstorms type conditions with three little kids. Yet I hear about the humidity and bugs of NC and think my husband doesnt do the heat as well as me. How long does that last there? How are the hurricanes/tornados in lets say the Raleigh, Cary area? Can you still get to and enjoy the beach from there or is it too far?
What is it about CO that has you drawn back to it? I just think you can offer such a wonderful perspective since you've lived in both places.....

Anyone with some perspective??...Please help me. LOL I am feeling the pressure to pick it quick as my was husband is fixing up our house to sell it today (and he just never gets our the drill and hammer ). LOL

Old 09-29-2006, 09:50 AM

739 posts, read 2,675,391 times
Default perspective

I'll try and give you some pros cons of Denver vs Raleigh area
Ironically, they are pretty similar demographically. from my experience in Denver ( i live in the city) versus Raleigh- I grew up there, but outside the city until post college. Denver seems to have a bit more diversity, more focused on outdoor activities- biking, running, hiking, skiing. People are very healthy and into activity. I don't sense this as much in Raleigh (I could be wrong). I think there is more to DO in terms of culture, restaurants, nightlife- face it, it's just a much large metropolitan area. That said, Raleigh is growing quickly, is more affordable (but desirable areas are still pricey,probably close to same prices per square foot as Denver desirable areas). I think that Denver has more eclectic , older neighborhoods (again, I live IN the city in a city neighborhood).If you like that sort of thing, Denver may be for you. In Raleigh, there are a lot of bedroom communities. People pride themselves on lot size and land (again, my perspective) and don't mind long commutes. Now, Denver has its fair share of sprawl, but we also have a an amazing light rail system that is exponentially going to be better when TRex is done in November. Raleigh seems to be building more interstates and not focuses as much on public transporation. There seem to be very few walkable neighborhoods w/ independent businesses. Off hand, I can only think of the Cameron Village area or some outlying communities like Wake Forest.

Old 10-01-2006, 03:28 AM

171 posts, read 769,144 times
Default Thanks!

DJ32 Thank you for your input, I appreciate the info. Have you personally lived in both areas as well? And if so what was your reason for moving? And how do you like where you are now and why? That might help me experience a bit of both states without having traveled there yet. We've been to CO a couple of times and thought it was beautiful and had so much to offer us. I have never been to NC before.
Thank you.

Old 10-03-2006, 06:51 AM
Cin

72 posts, read 274,229 times
Default a little bit of heaven

hi, I had to chime in...woke up to early this morning and was bored. I think the reason NC and CO come up for so many is the same reason they both did for me and I haven't been to either! When you think of feeling a sense of peace/being close to nature/and friendliness...kinda small town charm even if your not in a small town these two states come to mind. I have read articles many times and seen beautiful pictures of NC and my husband has always said CO is beautiful and then a possiblity for us to go to CO came up and the Money magazine article came out right when all this was in process and there were so many cities in CO on the list....of course so was Mesa AZ where I live for big cities and I almost fell on the floor! It is croweded w/cash and goes everywhere and people just aren't friendly in this area ...I think excessive heat makes people crabby. I just think most of us are looking for our little piece of heaven on earth and for friendliness and beauty while we are here and as different as these two states are they both have that feel. Of course that is my opinion...as we all have to decide what fits that feeling for us. The more I read on this forum about CO...and the more I can't sell my house in AZ..the more frustrated I get...I am going to see Fort Collins and I will get to drive through Co Springs...I can't wait..I can't imagine I will be dissapointed. Hopefully I will visit NC in the not too distant future though! I just mentioned to a relative that NC is the only other place I have ever thought would be awesome to live in!Good luck to all the dreamers here!

Old 10-09-2006, 02:26 AM

220 posts, read 700,972 times
NC, especially the triangle area, is hot and as humid as the devil's lair. I have family there and sweat from the minute we land until we return home to NY where it is humid, but not that humid. In Colorado, exactly the opposite exists- it is dry as a tumbleweed. It takes a bit to acclimate, but I'd much rather be dry than humid.

Last but not least.... ZERO bugs in CO! Try going outside at dusk in NC or NY anywhere near a lake or ocean during a still night and you will be eaten alive! I wouldn't move to Florida for the same reasons. HOWEVER, I would move to St. John or Barbados before you could finish the sentence... But I'm saving that for the next lifetime.

Old 10-16-2006, 10:22 AM

20 posts, read 84,329 times
This is my first post so I'm not sure I'm doing this right but you sound like my husband and I when we were looking for a place to call home in Colorado. We knew we wanted Colorado, but we didn't know where we would fit in or where to find our piece of paradise. I started out by using this...

http://www.city-data.com/city/Colorado.html

Look up any city you might be interested in and it will give you all kinds of information on the area, population, climate, nearby cities, race percentages, housing, crime, etc... It really is a great little tool to see where anyone would fit in depending on what you are looking for.

Good luck! It sure helped us!

Reese

Old 11-01-2006, 10:06 AM

117 posts, read 466,678 times
Clueless has returned from a fantastic 10 day trip- all four family members fell in love with Colorado and we seem to have narrowed our area down to COS - to a rather large triangle for now - Woodland Prk, Black Forest, Tri Lakes - Monument, Palmer Lake and possibly Castle Rock and Frankton or Larkspur. This being that we are a homeschool family and the support is extensive. Being close to the mtns and a wide choice or areas to choose from. We will rent first to determine the right fit for our family - but we loved the friendly and open people that we met along the way. Travelled 1000 miles from COS through Denver to Boulder onto Fort Collins and out to the mountains via Golden, Morrison and Evergreen to stay in Breckenridge for a few quite days!! Loved Frisco - could move there if we could handle such a long winter!! Thanks again to all the wonderful people on this board who share so willingly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or