Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2006, 04:13 PM

117 posts, read 531,702 times

Advertisements

Hi
I would love some input to guide me in a general direction - we would like to plan a week's visit ( which I sure will not be long enough to digest all) to discover where might be a good fit for our family.

We are a homeschooling family with a teen son and 10 yr old daugther, originally from South Africa, spent many years cruising in the Caribbean and love travelling and meeting people who enjoy life, as well as outdoor activities. We are looking for a blend of people, accepting of other nationalities as well as tolerant of different view points. At the same time community is important ( very) and would love to be close to a non-demoninational Church.

North Carolina - Chapel HIll had been on our short list - although we were looking to be more rural. ( Hillsborough) Our dream is for 3 to 5 acres, fairly close to a lake but still close enough to city conveniences to enjoy access to activities for the kids - swim team, homechooling co-ops and of course the bright lights now and then - so never having visited your beautiful state, please tell me where to start!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2006, 04:45 PM

137 posts, read 774,476 times
Default Come visit the Springs

Well, if you home-school you should fit right in here in northern Colorado Springs or Monument. We have to be close to the home-schooling capital of the world. Tons of people homeschool here! I don't know if you are familiar with the K-12 ciriculum (William Bennett), but we have a charter school in Colorado that uses K-12 and supports home-schooling families. Everything is on-line and paid for; they even provide you with a computer and pay for your internet connection. I used it for 3 years with my kids and loved it. I took a lot of liberties with it, and it was very flexible for me.

Monument is considered part of the Tri-Lakes area, near Palmer Lake, Lake Woodmoor and hmmm... I don't even know the 3rd one... but just to warn you, most people think that our lakes are more like ponds. We're pretty short on real lakes. We do have some nice lakes and reseviors (spelling?) in the mountains.

We live near Monument and Black Forest in the pine forest on 5 acres, and we love it. There are lots and lots of non-denominational churches around. We attend a smaller one in Monument (about 600 people) just because we like being a part of a smaller community, but we also have plenty of non-denominational churches that run in the thousands. We were just looking big enough to have good programs for us and the kids, and small enough to feel like family. I would at least make sure you put our area on your list of places to visit.

Old 09-09-2006, 09:16 PM

184 posts, read 440,162 times
We also looked at various parts of the country, including the Carolinas. We considered cost of living, humidity, beauty, airport & large city proximity with small town feel, etc. I love the ocean (scuba and sailing) but unless you can afford to live with a view of it, it's not very pretty nearby (too flat for my tastes). That's where Co Springs looks really good with all the nearby amenities and the beautiful mountains, yet major cities closeby with everything you might need without sacrificing the small town feel. Durango and other cities are certainly beautiful but they are so far away from everything else we excluded cities like that from our short list. Washington State has nice lakes but it was too expensive for us (if you want to live on the lake, that is). Same with Lake Lure in North Carolina. I think the weather in Co. will be better than those places regardless.

Old 09-11-2006, 06:54 PM

thanks to Amy WJ and CSColorado - I am enjoying looking at all the areas but know that a visit will be needed!! Trying to plan for October - not sure what kind of weather to expect but will research Ft Collins to Pueblo if we can in a week. Interesting that you considered NC - that is going to be the tough one- I have spent 6 mths and about 5 visits doing my research on the Triangle NC and thought we had found the spot.....and now to discover Colorado - I wonder who else out there has been torn between the 2 states!

Old 09-26-2006, 07:50 PM

402 posts, read 2,211,018 times
We live in NC - and are wanting to move to CO....so I'll let you know why! There's TONS of bugs!! (b/c of the sandy soil) Very humid, so the summers are pretty uncomfortable...and I would rather deal with the cold than with the hot. The winters are decent, but I honestly would like some snow, esp for my kids...you can't grow up without building a snowman!! I should add the politics here are ridiculous as well (3rd highest for gas tax!! woo-ooo!) But, on the other hand, I love the lush greenness of our state, and I will miss that!!

Old 09-27-2006, 07:28 PM

184 posts, read 440,162 times
I really like the Asheville area in NC and the lakes in SC (Keowee and Jocassee) but property values are already high in those areas. And then there are the bugs and the humidity as mentioned. But once you visit CO you'll just know!

Old 09-27-2006, 08:45 PM

739 posts, read 2,949,003 times
I am from NC- been in Denver for 7 years. Every time I go back I get homesick. However once I am there dealing with humidity (all through the year, not just when brutally hot), bugs,etc. I miss Colorado's cool nights and dryness. If you are looking at Hillsborough/Chapel Hill, which is rather pricey you've probably been sufficiently sticker shocked so Denver prices may not scare you. Based on your desires, Parker may be a good bet although I'm not all that sure on lakes,etc down there. I would also recommend Colorado Springs for hte reasons above- may have a bigger homeschooling contingency than Denver. Not sure how culture/politics plays into things but having gone to school in Chapel Hill area, it seems vastly more liberal than Colorado Springs which is known for being very religious and conservative. Ft. Collins (another college town) may be worth considering it this is playing into your decision at all.

Good luck! you can't make a bad choice between the 2 states. Grass will be a bit greener either way- when I'm back, I want to move here. When I'm here, I think about how wonderful NC is. Interestingly enough, my friends back there talk about how great would be to move west!

Old 09-28-2006, 01:46 AM

171 posts, read 879,852 times
Default us too

Yes, here too, we were seriously considering NC, VA and CO.....at the moment, CO is way ahead and we are planning a trip out to check it out.

Good luck on your trip and be sure to share all you discover when you get back.

Old 09-28-2006, 02:22 AM

393 posts, read 1,881,045 times
Default Torn? I am ripped in shreds!!! LOL

Hi, I am in NC looking to move to CO also.........I had been weighing out OR, ID also. I took a trip out to CO last year and I missed all the greenness, trees and water. I took a break from thinking about relocating and came up with OR, and ID. Funny, when I started researching OR and ID Colorado kept creeping back up in my mind. LOL.

So for now, I am thinking about CO......mainly because I think the weather would be better for me. I can't wait to get out of this humidity, but you look at the weather now, and it is too die for!! So, I too am torn!

I know I will miss the trees, water, and greenness that is the only thing that bothers me about leaving. There are certain parts of CO that have this but u have to pay for it. Here it is everywhere and it is pretty cheap to live here compared to many other places.......What to do? what to do? <<SIGH>>

Also, wouldn't it be great for a bunch of us to go out there together and share moving expenses? Is there a site online for this? if there isn't maybe we should start our own company? It is expensive, and stressful to move these days.

With me, I don't have enough furniture to rent a uhaul, beside having to get a towbar attached to my car. And I have too much to haul in my car......What do u do? Esp when you don't have anyone to drive with you!

Maybe someday I won't be dreaming about CO, or another state anymore I will actually be living there......LOL

DJ, I think that is pretty normal.....When I go home, I can't believe how beautiful it is, and I look at property, and think what would it be like to live here again. But the whole time I am missing my environment here in NC. So, I guess it is pretty much not where u are from, it is where u feel the most secure. I thought I felt more secure at home, but when I was at home I realized I am more secure here in NC....hhhhmmm!!! I always believed that saying about "home is where u hang your heart" I didn't think I hung my heart here yet, because I knew I wasn't going to stay but now that I have been here 13 yrs I guess I have, and didn't realize it. ........Talk about a confused, and mixed up heart and soul!!! LOL

Last edited by sillygal; 09-28-2006 at 02:34 AM.. Reason: forgot to add something

Old 09-28-2006, 10:39 AM

Siilygal if you do look at moving, consider UPack. Its a company that let you share the load of the truck- ie you take as many feet as you need. We used them when we had more books and clothes than furniture to move from Miami to Charleston, and the quote now to move west is $3000 ( and we have accumulated furniture) Thanks all for responding - we are going to have to see what our heart feels like in Colorado - must admit Ft Collins is looking very interesting - guess it will be just a little colder and windier?? DJ32 I am interested in your opinion on the comparision between Chapel Hill and CS - we thought Hillsborough NC might be our answer to a happy medium between the liberal and conservative. It is a fine line to tread to get the happy mix between both, but I do feel that there is a benefit in having the mix - our search is for a community that is respectful of others. We have even had the crazy idea of heading into the mountains - Breckenridge/Frisco and working for the winter season - either way we are EXCITED about heading out west and will certainly share our findings on our return and I love it that there are others torn between NC and CO - it makes me think I am not the only crazy one!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado