U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 09:55 AM

1,742 posts, read 2,621,463 times

Advertisements

Chicken enchilata with fresh roasted chilles, the best. RP
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2011, 10:11 AM

2,534 posts, read 5,823,108 times
A Westword restaurant columnist chooses three in Denver area:
Three great soups for a snowy day

French onion soup at A' Côté Bar à Absinthe
Tomato soup at The Kitchen
Beef noodle soup at Lao Wang Noodle House

Old 10-27-2011, 10:12 AM

12,102 posts, read 20,368,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
A lot of restaurants serve clam chowder on Friday. I LOVE a good clam chowder, but it's hard to find in Colorado.
Red lobster has good clam chowder.

Old 10-27-2011, 10:49 AM

169 posts, read 318,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
I'm not sure what kind of soup people in Fort Collins like. The rest of the state calls themselves "Coloradans" (no extra 'o') and has pretty much the same exact cuisine as anywhere else in the middle of the country.
Son-of-a-bee-sting, vegas, now I'm lost. I think "Coloradans" flows much better and once referred to the locals as such on this board but someone flipped out and told me it was "Coloradoans" so I changed it. Now you're telling me I'm wrong, AGAIN. Which is it, people? I see a new thread title.

Old 10-27-2011, 10:58 AM

7 posts, read 8,447 times
is any kind of clam chowder served in restaurants in Colorado?

Old 10-27-2011, 11:07 AM

7,756 posts, read 16,465,200 times
VenusAllen wrote:
Son-of-a-bee-sting, vegas, now I'm lost. I think "Coloradans" flows much better and once referred to the locals as such on this board but someone flipped out and told me it was "Coloradoans" so I changed it. Now you're telling me I'm wrong, AGAIN. Which is it, people? I see a new thread title.
To play it safe you could use terms like Colorado residents, people of Colorado, etc. Good luck.

Old 10-27-2011, 11:51 AM

20,326 posts, read 37,840,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DXM1 View Post
is any kind of clam chowder served in restaurants in Colorado?
Yes, you can find it at a number of places, though I'd guess that most of it probably comes from a can, in which case we just eat canned clam chowder at home.

When it comes to soup in eateries, my wife loves the Chicken Tortilla Soup at Saltgrass Steakhouse, which may be from a can too but she likes it a lot. I like their Beef Barley soup, but since we eat steaks there, I opt for a salad instead of having beef two ways.

If anyone watched "Restaurant Impossible" last night, they saw a failing eatery in Wilmington, NC that mostly heated up food from big #10 cans; they paid way too much for that stuff and it was largely bland tasteless stuff.

The soups at Panera are very decent.

At home, I like to make Split Pea or Lentil soups from scratch.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 10-27-2011, 12:02 PM

11,244 posts, read 7,259,134 times

THE SOUP NAZI - YouTube

Old 10-27-2011, 10:22 PM

33 posts, read 63,645 times
Default Soups

I would guess chili made with buffalo meat for the cowboys, something made with lentils, carrots and curry for the vegans. I remember having the best matzo ball soup at the New York Deli (now closed, the one where Mindy worked...) on the Pearl St. Mall in Boulder. Maybe a roasted tomato and red pepper soup? Are you starting a restaurant or something?

Old 10-28-2011, 10:40 AM

5,091 posts, read 13,178,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Yes, you can find it at a number of places, though I'd guess that most of it probably comes from a can, in which case we just eat canned clam chowder at home.

When it comes to soup in eateries, my wife loves the Chicken Tortilla Soup at Saltgrass Steakhouse, which may be from a can too but she likes it a lot. I like their Beef Barley soup, but since we eat steaks there, I opt for a salad instead of having beef two ways.

If anyone watched "Restaurant Impossible" last night, they saw a failing eatery in Wilmington, NC that mostly heated up food from big #10 cans; they paid way too much for that stuff and it was largely bland tasteless stuff.

The soups at Panera are very decent.

At home, I like to make Split Pea or Lentil soups from scratch.
Yes, there are restaurant soups that do come from cans and many restaurants use them which has smaller demand for soups. The chained restaurants that serve a good deal of specific soups, like Red Lobster with their clam chowder or a chained Italian with Minestrone, would tend to use a frozen concentrated soup product. This product can be made to their specifications and these frozen soup products are of very good quality.

Actually the best restaurant soup product would come from an institutional kitchen where canned or the more costly frozen product would be cost prohibitive in making large quantities in amounts of 25-50 gallons or more.

I have made great soups from cuttings and leftovers, bits and pieces from previous meals in these kitchen. You can make tasty soups from roasted beef and chicken that are no longer sufficient to provide service amounts. These added to a good base soup preparation of a mirepoix are well appreciated.

Yet, some large kitchen, today, do use pre-made canned soups because of the lack of expertise, time, or have minimal labor. Though the larger amounts needs, say 50 gallons or more, would tend to made on site. It would have to be a large kitchen with the appropriate equipment to process large quantities and most importantly to quickly and safely chill a large quantity of liquid soup for storage, if necessary.

The best soups are made in my kitchen and I eat well--if you look at me, you can tell I also like to make bean or lentil soups and I find any soup taste better--the next day.

My favorite would be a fish soup and the best in this country would be the Cioppino, the fish soup/stew of the San Francisco Bay area. Made fresh with what is available near a good supply of fresh seafood--Ahhhhh

Hint: A chicken soup can be much better if you roast the chicken, first. Being cheap and frugal, I sometimes buy the reduced roasted chickens in the supermarkets and make a fantastic soup.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 10-28-2011 at 10:52 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado