U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 01:18 PM

169 posts, read 319,586 times

Advertisements

I'm particularly interested in soups, sandwiches, and side dishes, but any info is appreciated. I could ask this question on culinary forums but that wouldn't be Colorado-specific, now would it? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by VenusAllen; 10-26-2011 at 02:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2011, 01:50 PM

7,756 posts, read 16,509,305 times
I am partial to the hops contained in Colorado micro-brews.

Old 10-26-2011, 02:04 PM

5,091 posts, read 13,216,256 times
There is the group who are long term, older and natives residents who are just plain people who want their steaks and roast beef. It is really a steak and potato State. This is a big group in this State, but the most silent.

There is the more vocal group of people who express that the food they want is organic, free ranged and natural, but they are certainly are not the majority.

There is the group that are the new rich; those who pretend they are rich; the creative class and those who pretend to be creative and sophisticated, who like new and exciting foods and cuisines and gravitate to restaurants that provide such foods. They are again, not the most prevalent, but they do spend a great deal of money filling their passion for food.

There is also a much larger group of people who embrace the widely available Hispanics foods of the area. They are very adamant about their chili, and their burritos. This the same group which argues about the best Pizza, or the the absolutely best burger, or the feel good fried chicken. They are of the fast food crowd. For whatever way Pizza, Mexican Food, chicken or burgers are served, even at table service--it is all really just fast food.

Of course, groups cross boundaries and some people demand organic burgers, or expensive gourmet sounding burgers, or burgers with green chili etc. Steak can be desired every which way from basic off the grill to expensive organic free ranged buffalo or topped with chipolte sauce. Pizza is another area of food that is mixed and desired and some people want just pepperoni toppings to those who want smoked salmon and duck to express their exclusivity and their ability to spend.

They will wash down their food with cheap wine in a bag or expensive wine in a carafe. They want their Coors or their Craft Beers. Or mostly there is the Coke crowd or those who value the label of a bottled water. Sometimes they will drink expensive Craft Beers with an off the shelf Hot Dog or a pitcher of ice cold Coors with an artichoke pizza. So there is no one group that is adamant about certain foods--it is Colorado of The United States of America, a collections of difference, desires and appetites.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 10-26-2011 at 02:23 PM..

Old 10-26-2011, 02:19 PM

169 posts, read 319,586 times
Same here, Cosmic, and I'll be sure to incorporate that into any recipes I devise.
Thanks to you as well, LC. Granted, it's still warm out but I haven't seen as many soups on menus as I might in KY. I assumed that living near the mountains soups would be more prevalent. I probably should have asked whether Colorodoans are fans of soup, in general. As a matter of fact I'm going to change the thread title to ask just that question.

Old 10-26-2011, 03:10 PM

2,985 posts, read 6,663,966 times
Colorado doesn't really have a specific food like chicago deep dish pizza or southern shrimp & grits that I can think of. I make a lot of soups and stews in the winter but it's more about what's in the fridge or looks good at the store than a recipe. After shoveling 10 inches of heavy wet snow today it was homemade tomato and basil soup with grilled cheese.

Old 10-26-2011, 03:20 PM

1,331 posts, read 4,430,128 times
Green Chile, then Red Chile!!!

Old 10-26-2011, 03:28 PM

14 posts, read 24,074 times
In the southern part of teh state it's gonna be green chile.

Old 10-26-2011, 03:49 PM

5,091 posts, read 13,216,256 times
From my vast experience with food...ahhhhemm....I would say that Coloradans do not spooned themselves over a specific soup. Again, it is pretty much a Meat and Potato State and the soup, if they like any, would be Chicken and Noodle. Any other soup goes beyond their comfortable idea of consistent familiarity. They will try soups and eat them but want "real" food with it, but mainly if is available in a can and they eat it at home.

If they eat soup off a restaurant menu, it will mostly a Minestrone in an Italian Place. They may try an Onion Soup in a French Restaurant. However, most people do not find soup suitable for the expense in a restaurant. They really want to get to the meat and potatoes and also the dessert. I think soups are more of draw in restaurants in cold skiing areas.

The big exception I think is the more sophisticated exploratory crowd who frequently eat Asian Food. You will see that the noodle bowls (for example: Pho) of those cuisines, which can be considered a soup, are often consumed.

Colorado being of the Southwest and the West does consume many variety of beans. However, I do not believe that a bean soup is a big draw in a restaurant. Though I think these hearty beans soups are made more exclusively in the home---sometimes by men who want to showcase their expertise and leave the kitchen mess to their wives.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 10-26-2011 at 04:05 PM..

Old 10-26-2011, 05:06 PM

2,253 posts, read 5,865,344 times
Wink Per usual

Chicken Noodle soup.

No idea what is most popular in Colorado. But if somewhat under the weather, chicken noodle soup invariably seems to hit the spot. And tasty anytime.

Otherwise, hard to go wrong with brewed hops.

Old 10-26-2011, 05:36 PM

12,106 posts, read 20,434,863 times
In Pueblo people seem to have chili when its cold. Green or red.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado