U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2011, 04:35 PM

1 posts, read 8,392 times

Advertisements

So after doing hours and hours of research, I've come to the conclusion I should never be a researcher because I can't find the answers I'm looking for.

Anyways, I have a job offer in Vail. It's only 60,000 a year (which wouldn't be an "only" anywhere but Vail, which seems ridiculously expensive to live in). It's a permanent (not seasonal) type position not in hospitality. Possibly the same job as another poster I saw here, who knows

I'm female, single, and in my early twenties.. I am trying to figure out if I'll fit in here or be able to make a life for myself. I have been snowboarding before and I love it but I live in Las Vegas so haven't gone very much.

So basically

a. I have a nissan altima, 4 cyl would I need to trade that in for an AWD truck?

b. to my understanding I can rent a room or a small condo in Edwards or Eagle for cheaper.. but how long is the real commute in the snow and is it a hard one.. and do they clear the roads?

c. This sounds silly I'm sure but.. are there single men? Other than the kids that come to work the slopes in season. Not that dating is a huge concern but it does seem too cold to be alone all the time

d. I noticed there was some mention of a Walmart somewhere. Are there places to eat/shopping in the area, including in off season?

e. Are there things to do, other than the skiing? I love hiking and that kinda thing and I hear there's a river. I really want to get a dog to hang out with and it seems like a dog friendly area.

f. What is it like living there? Small town kinda place? Is it friendly or more closed off or what? I really want to live in a know your neighbors kind of place. I've lived in Vegas too long and am trying to live somewhere as different as possible.

I realize it's not "utopia", I'm just trying to get a feel for what it's actually like to live there.

Anything that I'm missing asking PLEASE feel free to throw in! Answers to any or all of the questions would be appreciated.

I also have a tentative job offer in Colorado Springs, so that's a consideration. Until it's a firm offer I'll keep looking into Vail.

Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2011, 05:31 PM

1,337 posts, read 2,679,395 times
I don't live there so I can't help you much with your questions, but you have an opportunity to live in place that many people dream of WITH a stable job. You have to take advantage of that opportunity. If you end up not liking it or feeling too strapped for cash you can always move and start somewhere new since you're so young.

Please take advantage of this opportunities. You'll be all the early 20something ski bums envy.

Old 10-27-2011, 05:45 PM

2,970 posts, read 6,605,182 times
Short answer is yes you can live here on 60k, long answer just got eaten by my computer. I've got to take the dogs out to play for a while, but I promise a more detailed explanation later.

Old 10-27-2011, 06:13 PM

9,816 posts, read 19,014,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylajay View Post
So after doing hours and hours of research, I've come to the conclusion I should never be a researcher because I can't find the answers I'm looking for.

Anyways, I have a job offer in Vail. It's only 60,000 a year (which wouldn't be an "only" anywhere but Vail, which seems ridiculously expensive to live in). It's a permanent (not seasonal) type position not in hospitality. Possibly the same job as another poster I saw here, who knows

I'm female, single, and in my early twenties.. I am trying to figure out if I'll fit in here or be able to make a life for myself. I have been snowboarding before and I love it but I live in Las Vegas so haven't gone very much.

I realize it's not "utopia", I'm just trying to get a feel for what it's actually like to live there.

Anything that I'm missing asking PLEASE feel free to throw in! Answers to any or all of the questions would be appreciated.

I also have a tentative job offer in Colorado Springs, so that's a consideration. Until it's a firm offer I'll keep looking into Vail.

Thanks!!!
If you do a search of Vail on this forum you will find quite a bit of info already.

a. I have a nissan altima, 4 cyl would I need to trade that in for an AWD truck?

It will make your life easier if you have a AWD sedan or SUV with winter tires during the winter. Especially if you live on a side street or plan on driving outside of daylight hours.

b. to my understanding I can rent a room or a small condo in Edwards or Eagle for cheaper.. but how long is the real commute in the snow and is it a hard one.. and do they clear the roads?

In your situation I don't believe it would make any sense living in Eagle. For one thing the commuting costs and time involved would not net you significant savings to make it worth while, especially when the weather is bad(often I-70 between eagle and edwards is statistically more dangerous than Vail Pass, according to the State Patrol and my own experience).

Edwards is not always cheaper either as much of the real estate is newer and some of the low end real estate in Vail is older and not as updated. I would reckon Edwards is probably my favorite part of the valley if I lived there again and I did enjoy it the couple times I did. The weather is slightly better in winter and there are plenty of shops and restaurants to keep you amused. It's also a bit more spacious than Vail.

c. This sounds silly I'm sure but.. are there single men? Other than the kids that come to work the slopes in season. Not that dating is a huge concern but it does seem too cold to be alone all the time

It is estimated that there are about 3-4 men for every woman in the local singles scene. Tourists may skew that sometimes but in my experience, local men far outnumber women. There was even a joke that I can't remember now about even the ugliest of woman able to get a date in Vail.

So you wont have any trouble with numbers, but I think what you'll find as I did, that much of the work population at that age is very transient, so maintaining a long term relationship is difficult. Vail is a stop on the road of life for many people before they finally settle for a "real job" in a regular city somewhere. The other thing is that many of the men that do stay are basically ski bums that lack initiative for anything else and fewer of the men are in professional careers.

d. I noticed there was some mention of a Walmart somewhere. Are there places to eat/shopping in the area, including in off season?

Yes there is a Wal Mart in Avon and a couple of othersupermarkets and stores. There are tons of restaurants, however many of them in the tourist areas close or wind down in the off seasons.
e. Are there things to do, other than the skiing? I love hiking and that kinda thing and I hear there's a river. I really want to get a dog to hang out with and it seems like a dog friendly area.

Skiing and partying dominate winter. There is less diversity in things to do during winter. I realized I am not a downhill skier, so I focused on work during the winter and chasing women.

Summer time was what I lived for. More relaxed, tons of stuff to do, nice weather. Fall is also awesome.

A lot of people have dogs and overall it's a dog friendly area. However make sure your landlord feels the same way.

f. What is it like living there? Small town kinda place? Is it friendly or more closed off or what? I really want to live in a know your neighbors kind of place. I've lived in Vegas too long and am trying to live somewhere as different as possible.

Well it was certainly a good experience for me, but after nearly 8 years I was glad to leave for a more normal life. I would live there again.

I think the adjustment is understanding life ebbs and flows with the seasons and tourists. Winter is very long, dominated by skiing. Spring is short, dead and muddy. Summer is a few months of nice weather and with plenty to do. Fall is nice at times, quiet but brief.

I would say it is fairly friendly but there is a big turn over of people, which is sometimes great as you meet a lot of interesting people, but then also hard cause so many people come and go. I don't think it's like small town America, but there are plenty of nice people around.

There is also a strong "locals" scene which can take a while to work your way into.

Old 10-27-2011, 06:57 PM

2,970 posts, read 6,605,182 times
Well wanneroo summed up just about everything.

I wouldn't live past Edwards, Eagle is a cute little town, it's very family oriented, which is great if you have kids. Check the paper Vail Colorado | VailDaily.com News and craigslist: high rockies classifieds for jobs, apartments, personals, for sale, services, community, and events for rentals. Lock off apartments are very popular here. My neighbor has one, a furnished 1 bedroom with the garage and a huge yard, his landlord comes up from Denver about 15 weekends a year. He pays $1,000 which includes utilities. Check if you will have parking in Vail, if not you may want to be located on the bus route or plan on taking the bus in, parking in Vail is expensive and sometimes hard to find.

We lived in Vail 16 years ago and finally made it back last year, it's a wonderful place for us, we love the mountains, the people, the attitude. People generally choose to live here and they want to be here it has a lot to do with the feel of the area.

If you have any more questions please don't hesitate to post.

Old 10-27-2011, 08:45 PM

9,816 posts, read 19,014,998 times
That brings up another point. To save money living in a roommate type situation is common.

If I was on $60K a year, I would be in a place by myself. I had some fantastic roommates over the years and some that were totally psycho. Vail drags up a lot of transient flaky people with problems or who like dope or drinking and playing the guitar at 4 AM or worse.

For $1000-$1500 a month you should be able to find yourself a starter small condo or apartment. For peace, quiet and less drama, I would avoid Eaglebend Apartments, Sunridge Phase 1 and 2, Kayak Crossing, Timber Ridge, River Edge, The Tarnes.

Also if you want to make extra cash there will be plenty of opportunity to get a 2nd part time job at night or on weekends. Being a server in the valley during busy times you can make some decent money. Even after my sister was in a professional type job for years, she still waited tables once or twice a week for extra money. It also might be another way to meet other people as well.

Old 10-28-2011, 03:28 PM

4,888 posts, read 8,899,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylajay View Post
Well you'll be moving from Las Vegas (a big city) to Vail (a small, somewhat isolated town), so there's some considerations to think about.

Quote:
Not necessarily a truck, but an AWD/4wd vehicle of some sort, yes.

Quote:
Usually I-70 gets clear within hours or a day of a snowstorm, but conditions can change rapidly, making it difficult again.

Quote:
c. This sounds silly I'm sure but.. are there single men?
Quite a lot of young people, including guys, have the same aspirations you do to move to mountain towns in Colorado.

Quote:
Other than the kids that come to work the slopes in season. Not that dating is a huge concern but it does seem too cold to be alone all the time
Mountain living is a great excuse to snuggle

Quote:
Yeah, there's a decent selection of restaurant and such. Pretty much has to be since it's a tourist destination.

Quote:
Plenty of hiking, camping. The river that runs through Vail can be fished. There's some lakes within driving distance. Bars, karoake, microbrew beers, etc.

Quote:
I've lived in Vegas too long and am trying to live somewhere as different as possible.
Maybe Denver? Denver is nothing like Vegas.

Thanks!!![/quote]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or