U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2006, 10:44 AM

3 posts, read 8,897 times

Advertisements

I've lived out here for a year now, and I too have been told to drink, drink, drink. If I huff and puff, it's because I'm overwight and out of shape, versus vacations here when I was younger. It is very dry here, but you learn to love it. It makes cold less penetrating, heat less debilitating. Lots of body lotion as needed, humidifiers year round if you feel the need. I used to bring one with me for summers in the mountains, but I just realized I've gone through this, my second full summer here, without it. The dryness is what makes this air so great, and makes every place else seem like a squalid sauna.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2006, 04:00 PM

20,315 posts, read 37,820,570 times
Default Kaligirl

Three main reasons:

- Get out of the humid, dog days of summer.
- Get twice the house for the money of Northern VA (DC Metro Area).
- Get out of the horrendous traffic mess they created back there.

Philosopical reasons:
- Gotta live somewhere, may as well live somewhere beautiful........life's too short to live in a rat race mess like Northern VA.

TONS of people are coming here from California, you will find what you want here, somewhere, and you'll be happy with it.

s/Mike

My full story is in the Colorado Springs sub-forum, probably on page 2, titled "Why Choose Colorado Springs."

Old 09-16-2006, 09:24 PM

171 posts, read 769,855 times
Default CO areas

Ahhh I see....those are the things I am trying to escape from here.
Thank you so much for your input Mike! I sure appreciate it and look forward to reading the other post you mentioned.

My husband and I spoke all day about places in CO, and he is leaning toward Fort Collins area, and I am leaning toward Colorado Springs (can you tell me about the Black Forest area?).... We are interested in Parker as well.

Any and all, any input here?

Old 12-07-2006, 11:49 AM

11 posts, read 63,299 times
i moved from Laurel to Evergreen in 1980 then back to Md. in 85 then back to Evergreen in 1990, Don't worry about the altitude just don't climb any mountians for a few days..

Old 12-07-2006, 01:53 PM

13,685 posts, read 21,511,639 times
What you need to do in order to adapt is have someone drive you up Pikes Peak or Mt. Evans and bring a six-pack of Malt Liquor Beer with you. Once you get up there, slam a couple and walk around a bit. Maybe jog back down with a camel-back filled up with the rest of the MLB.

If you can handle that, welcome to Colorado!

Old 12-10-2006, 07:02 PM

2,621 posts, read 2,030,729 times
My house is at 8,000' and I came from sea level. It took 2-3 weeks before I felt normal walking up stairs etc.... but it took about 10-12 weeks before I felt normal while exercising (running, biking etc..). I never felt sick, just winded more than usual.

Old 08-24-2009, 10:07 PM

1 posts, read 1,982 times
I just got back from Fort Collins. I drove the 1074 miles from Los Angeles to get my new trike at Runabout Cycles in Fort Collins. I did get a bit whoozy when I was up around the Vail, Colorado area. The ground started moving and I could not get to sleep. I was gasping like a fish out of water. I drove 941 miles the first day, so I was tired, and with the lack of oxygen, that complicated things. But I am in good shape, so the symptoms were not too severe. Once I got to Fort Collins, I was bicycling all over the little college town of Fort Collins. It is a beautiful place. They have a brewery there called Belgium Beer. The people were very nice and friendly. It seem like the whole town loved to ride bikes.

Old 08-25-2009, 09:08 AM

10,552 posts, read 11,649,542 times
Visited Colorado a bunch over the past few years and planning to move to Ridgway in October. It takes me a couple of days to get used to the altitude, and some people in Ridgway joked (I think) that when I move there I'll get a "welcome package". Sunscreen, chapstick and a bottle of water. I drink lots of water when I'm there, lots, and waitresses learn when I'm eating to leave the pitcher of iced tea, I'll drink it all. My sister has lived on the western slope for over 30 years and still gets very thirsty, and is always drinking water. Only time I got lightheaded was on Monarch Mountain (12,000ft). Odd dizzy feeling and I was having problems catching my breath.

Old 08-25-2009, 10:41 AM

4,888 posts, read 8,909,954 times
Get checked out by a doctor, make sure you don't have a heart condition like enlarged heart, or other ailment that will be excacerbated by high altitude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marylandmama View Post
We are looking to reloctate to Colorado from Maryland and I was wondering how people from lower elevations have adjusted to the thinner air of the higher elevations of Colorado Springs and Denver? How long did it take to get used to, especially with exercise and outdoor recreational activities?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado