U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2011, 05:45 PM

115 posts, read 405,168 times

Advertisements

This is not a fun subject but it is reality. Does anyone know anything about the inpatient substance abuse program that is offered there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2011, 01:02 AM

13,633 posts, read 21,489,347 times
I went through it once as a condition on keeping my job.

It was a sad joke. I think there are/were a couple of good counselors there... but the intake person who checks to see that your insurance will work failed me. She said I was good to go and the then 14 day program would be covered by my insurance.

I left there sober and all was good. Then months later, I got a notice from a collection agency. They said I owed $8,000.00. My insurance company paid about 6,000 of a 14,000 bill and said that was enough. So what did Parkview do? Sent it right to a collection agency without even notifying me. I went to the collection agency and worked it out. I paid 8,000 bucks out of pocket.

Now... they teach you this "a drug is a drug is a drug" business which is bull. The only reason why drugs and alcoholism and PTSD are the same thing is because they gots on druggie buggie... well two. One for the guys and one for the gals.

They claim that they have 12-step based recovery but don't use the A.A. book. Your first step is simply this; when I do my drug of choice... I lose things. They have you do some weird kind of 4th step. It's a 283 question exercise. I think one of the questions is whether or not you were put on the pot backwards when you were a baby. Real psychobabble stuff.

They have an aftercare meeting there and they have an A.A. meeting on Wednesday nights and on Sunday morning. I will admit that there are great folks from town who attend these meetings and try to help out... but it's the most dysfunctional inmates running the asylum mess. It should be call the shoebox meeting because it's full of slippers loafers and sneakers. It's just like a bar without the booze. There's no structure, you chair the meeting if you have 90 days, they say that they don't "discriminate between the alcoholic or the addict... all are welcome there". As if those who follow traditions "discriminate". Oh, and they celebrate every day, week, month, breath of sobriety and go around the room and announce everybody in the rooms' name, so when the meeting opens for topic, it's about 9:45 and there's like 15 minutes for discussion. Then they close 5 minutes early so they can read "The Promises". They read How it Works, The Daily Reflections, Courage to change, all 12 steps, and all 12 traditions. And the chair person doesn't even bring a topic. Someone in the crowd asks for the topic to be "gratitude" or something like that. Or they talk about steps 1, 2, or 3. Evidently, there's no time for steps 4 through 12.

If you're gonna do A.A., then do A.A. What they do is something else. These folks just might as well go around and hug each other sober. They should just chant, "We don't need no whiskey sour, we got us a higher power."

Some of these folks make it from the substance abuse program into long term sobriety, but the odds are not good.

I went there about a week after my last drunk. So I didn't need a detox. But when I'd been there about 12 or 13 days, the on-shift nurse asked me one night if I needed to take my valium. I said valium? I've been here two weeks and am ready for commencement tomorrow. Why in the hell would I want valium?

They pushed antabuse on me and I recommend you stay the heck away from that nasty stuff. I'm not a doctor here but I've got bad experience with that stuff and I did NOT drink on it.

A lot of folks from Fountain Fort Carson are being sent to CDU. I don't know why. They must be desparate. I'd consider Crossroads. It's a bit more hard core. But... in the end, you get what you put into it. If you got to do it to satisfy employers/family/etc., you can gain something from just kicking back, paying attention to what they teach you, have a positive attitude, get a few square meals in you... that kind of thing.

That's my opinion anyway.

Old 10-30-2011, 07:48 AM

115 posts, read 405,168 times
McGowDog,
First congratulations on your sobriety! Second, Wow that's espensive. That does not sound like the kind of place I am looking for, for my son. I appreciate all the information you gave me. It is very helpful. I know there was nothing special that stood out to me on the website. I can't afford to send him anywhere and that is very depressing. I am pretty sure that was the only place his insurance covers and yet I still can't afford the $700 co pay and the 20% of my part.

Old 10-30-2011, 12:51 PM

13,633 posts, read 21,489,347 times
Yeah it was about 1000 bucks a day. I didn't even board there. They let me drive home every night at about 11:00 pm to be home with my wife and I was there every morning at 7:00 am in time for coffee and their first morning session.

The food was pretty good... but not worth that much. Maybe if I'd have passed on the meals, I'd have gotten a 50% discount. Doubt it though.

Crossroads is an option. I hear there's a bunch of treatment agencies in Pueblo from what I hear. It depends on what level of treatment he needs. For example, does he need inpatient?

Oh, and thanks. Coming up on 8 years.

Add: Thanks Mike. Booze has always been my kryptonite. I've been at this sobriety thing in earnest for about 27 years. I've been in some form of recovery for almost 18 years. Some of my friends got this deal the first time. I had to do some more research just be make for sure. I wish I could bottle sobriety up and give it away. Unfortunately, I think it would collect dust. Just a weird fact.

Last edited by McGowdog; 10-30-2011 at 01:07 PM..

Old 10-30-2011, 12:57 PM

20,304 posts, read 37,790,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
... Coming up on 8 years.
Awesome on your part. Bravo!
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 10-30-2011, 01:20 PM

2,253 posts, read 5,835,868 times
Wink In the mountains

This may or not be applicable, but there is a substance abuse institute located just west of Estes Park.

In fact it may technically reside in town, as town limits extend in that direction to abut Rocky Mountain National Park at its north entrance, this institute located between Estes Park CBD and the Park.

This institute is called Harmony, and beyond that I know very little. No idea of the price, but it appears that all clients reside on site, and possibly required to. Nice looking grounds, and from outward appearances a beautiful situation.

A younger person might find Estes Park rather quiet, especially in winter, assuming if allowed into town in the first place. But if able to get out and about now and then, having direct access to RMNP might be inspiring and curative. At least for some temperaments. If nature might help at all, then this place might well be worth consideration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or